• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017 Rainy River Conditions

Any updates on river conditions? I got my schedule. Got the 3-15 April off. Hope to get in on some great fishing. Missed it last year due to training at my new job, AtlasAir. 

Imm baaackkk!

IMG_1868.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

The MN DNR website shows the Big Fork just opening up upstream and the Little Fork open for about half of it's length upstream. Flows are high but have been higher in past years so may not be high enough to cause problems. I would think within 4 -5 days one will be able to tell how severe the spring rise in the Forks will be. If the upstream gages begin to drop soon it will be a good sign as it will indicate the big push from upstream is past.

• Thumbs Up 1

All eyes on the forks now. Weather looks perfect for a steady slow release. Minimal impact this year but I'd bet this weekend and next week will be the worts of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Going to hit it tomorrow. Haven't decided where we will but in at the junction or head towards birchdale. Have heard varying fishing reports. Any info is appreciated! Tight lines everyone!

14 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

River conditions are nearly perfect!

Gorgeous day on the water today.

Fishing wasnt half bad either.

My 10 yr old Isaac and I teamed up today to land a total of 64 fish including, 23", 24", (3)25" and Isaacs new PB 29" 9lb 6oz.

Sturgeon became active as the day went.  Landed 3 and didnt play with 4 others.

Isaacs big fish!

20170324_110701_001.thumb.jpg.eb5ddc01707ccb687e4d04325d1a91e6.jpg

Good for him holding that big pig.

Buddy of mine just drove past the Big and Littlefork rivers on hwy11, said ice bank to bank on both. Even saw fresh tracks from snowmobiles on them. So for whatever that's worth guys and gals. 

12 hours ago, Poutwhacker said:

Beauty.

Where were you fishing out of?

We have fished both days out of Vidas.

Day two was a bit different than day one for us.  Much slower mid day resulting 50 fish for the day.  A couple of 23" being the biggest.

ESE wind caused a different approach Today that challenged me a bit.  As well as the river was VERY BUSY today!

Water conditions appeared to stay fantastic as far as current and clarity,  should be a nice week ahead for those coming up.

Sunday was more of the same.  Morning bite was strong than waining midday.  Isaac and I managed 30 more walleye sunday morning before heading home.

Our biggest for sunday 27" 8lb 4oz.  We caught 6 fish over 23" sunday, (2)23, 24 

, (2)26, 27.

River is now open past Wheelers point.

20170326_121318.jpg

20170326_102231.jpg

20170326_100219.jpg

20170326_084704.jpg

20170326_083313.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyfish2 - thanks for the reports. I believe it was you who had written a little summary that included a rough estimation of when the LF river busts open and muddies the Rainy. 

Can you (or anyone) comment on when that's looking likely to happen? anyone know when the river cleared the Frontier landing? I think you said that happening gives a 1-to-2 week notice on the LF breakup.

Water temps reached about 37 degrees Sunday.  

I watch the USGS Rainy River Basin report for the Little Fork.

The bog sure didnt look super full on the west side so hopefully with little snow left to melt it wont build up too much pressure in Little Fork.

Little fork levels are still rising however, let hope for light rain events if any going through the season.  It is rare the Little fork dosent muddy the rainy, theres always hope.  

I personally think the river will be good through this week, then all bets are off.

20170326_121318.jpg

20170326_102231.jpg

20170326_100219.jpg

20170326_084704.jpg

20170326_083313.jpg

Not sure why i cant rid off pics, sorry.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have been looking at the gages this morning and the L.F. still appears to be either frozen or have an ice jam at the most downstream gage in Little Fork. The discharge is not working but the water level has risen 3' since Sunday. The next upstream gage however is flowing good and has risen from 1,200cfs to 5,000+cfs since Sunday and has risen 8' in the same period. The Big Fork doesn't have cfs data so I am thinking its frozen but the height has risen 2.5' since Sunday. I would think with that flow and the warm weather it's only a matter of days until they both go.

Other trips like the Black River and Rapid River are all on the rise both cfs and height.

Also, I took a look at the Rainy at Manitou Rapids and it has risen about 2' and has gone from 14,000 cfs to 17,500 cfs since Sunday.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, schucanoe said:

Just wanted to share info on what I know about how those USGS stream gages work.  The stream gaging station will not reflect accurate readings of stage and discharge while ice cover is present.  If you are looking at USGS stream gages you will see a little note in the data table that says "Ice Cover" if this is the case.  They won't be useful until the ice is gone and "Ice Cover" is not showing up next to the readings.  They work on water pressure to estimate the height of water above the gage.  More water flowing under the ice creates more water pressure, so makes the estimated gage height and corresponding estimated discharge go up.  The USGS gage at Manitou should be accurate (no ice cover).  The higher flow will draw the fish in better than low flow.  Another good one to check is the LWCB gages for Rainy Lake and the tailrace below the dam(s).  That will help determine if it's the Forks affecting water levels or just more water coming out of Rainy, which is nice and clear.  Hopefully it won't get muddy!  Maybe see you out there DucksnBucks.  T-Rock-1.

• Thumbs Up 1

River is up to 21,200 cfs at Manitou with no signs of slowing down. Probably has something to do with lack of reports. Hopefully it stays clean and we are near the crest. Good luck everyone! Keep the reports coming 

• Thumbs Up 1

We stayed home. Heard some reliable reports it got muddy and the fish shut off.  Anyone hear different?

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard same thing. Already down to 6 inches of clarity with logs and branches.

Can anyone confirm?

• Thumbs Up 1

Resorts don't like spreading the bad news. I get it. Pretty quiet on the social media.  

• Thumbs Up 1

From Steve's Lucky Bait:

"From the reports we've heard they opened the dam in international falls. It's making the river dirty. I was at wheelers point access yesterday and had about 2 feet of clarity but heard birchdale had about 8 inches or less. That water should be to 4 mile bay today. Let's hope for clear reports from birchdale today. I'll keep you guys up to date the best I can. Sturgeon are snapping. Walleyes are still being caught just a tough bite."

• Thumbs Up 2