Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Royal_Dutchman

2017 Rainy River Conditions

38 posts in this topic

Have the "forks" let go yet? I know things turn to chocolate milk for awhile when they do... Got burned on that last year big time.

March 20th, 2017:
   Grant talked to his cousin who knows the guy that works for the county and said they opened up Birchdale Landing this morning.  We did see a picture that Lake of the Woods Tourism posted on Facebook showing the landing was open for all boats.  Grant's cousin also this guy said the plan is to hopefully get Frontier Landing open for all boats tomorrow.  We had some projects that we had to get done around here before a busy weekend so we were not able to get to Birchdale today.  We are hoping to go tomorrow afternoon and will have pictures to share of Frontier and Birchdale Landings along with where the river is open to.

I am not sure about the forks as we do not travel that far very often.  Hopefully there is someone on here that drives by them to let us know.  In the past we have had a person send us pictures when they did break open. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reports Dutchmen really appreciate the updates! Looking forward to my trip up there  in a couple weeks always fun CPR some of those sumo eyes.

The more ramps open the better to spread people out.  No offense, but the hundreds of boats that converge is my least favorite part of the whole thing.  I'm as friendly as anyone but don't really like the crowds.  And yes I know I'm part of the problem.  My best piece of advice for anyone that goes is be flexible once you are up there.  Don't hesitate to travel.  If you're camped at Birchdale and it's slow go downriver.  It doesn't pay to wait for the fish to come to you if you only have a few days to fish up there.   You'll know if they're not there after a day or so.  If the river gets really muddy go downstream and try 4 mile bay.  Too muddy for Walleye?  Bring some sturgeon gear.  Be safe, courteous and jovial. 

March 21st, 2017: 
   Grant and I were able to go check the river around 4:30pm and found that there is open water 1.8 miles West of Vidas Landing.  We are thinking by tomorrow evening we should have open water in front of our house (4.3 miles away from our house).  The county did not open up Frontier today so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday they will be able to get in there and open it up.  We did hear that Kuttes Landing by Pelland Junction is also open for bigger boats and of course Birchdale Landing is open for all boats. 

03.21 Birchdale Landing.JPG

03.21 Frontier.JPG

03.21 Vidas Landing.JPG

1 person likes this

We will be up fishing Friday to sunday.  Good luck everyone.

1 person likes this

Any updates on river conditions? I got my schedule. Got the 3-15 April off. Hope to get in on some great fishing. Missed it last year due to training at my new job, AtlasAir. 

Imm baaackkk!

IMG_1868.JPG

3 people like this

Welcome back!!

1 person likes this

Any word on if the forks let loose yet?

The MN DNR website shows the Big Fork just opening up upstream and the Little Fork open for about half of it's length upstream. Flows are high but have been higher in past years so may not be high enough to cause problems. I would think within 4 -5 days one will be able to tell how severe the spring rise in the Forks will be. If the upstream gages begin to drop soon it will be a good sign as it will indicate the big push from upstream is past.

1 person likes this

All eyes on the forks now. Weather looks perfect for a steady slow release. Minimal impact this year but I'd bet this weekend and next week will be the worts of it. 

1 person likes this

River conditions are nearly perfect!

Gorgeous day on the water today.

Fishing wasnt half bad either.

My 10 yr old Isaac and I teamed up today to land a total of 64 fish including, 23", 24", (3)25" and Isaacs new PB 29" 9lb 6oz.

Sturgeon became active as the day went.  Landed 3 and didnt play with 4 others.

Isaacs big fish!

20170324_110701_001.thumb.jpg.eb5ddc01707ccb687e4d04325d1a91e6.jpg

1 person likes this

Nice fish, great pic!