• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Been out of town for the past week-ish, how are the local ice conditions, are people still driving out (safely) on Fish, Boulder..?

Yes.   The last chance was Sat and the let people drive out.  Lots of ice was out Sun looking around and found lots of water on the roads, but when we got off the road and drilled no water.  I think what you see is melting snow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the update Loadmaster. With a week plus of above freezing temps, half of which stayed above freezing overnight, I was becoming a little concerned. 

I hope the Last Chance was a great success.  

I would be EXTREMELY cautious driving on Fish Lake. We took our permanent off Sunday morning and there was a lot of water, that was before the rain yesterday and the 50 degree temps today. I've also read reports of holes opening up that would easily swallow a truck tire. Be safe! 

I was at the Last Chance contest.  Great time.  Ice looked good, but as stated we had a LOT of rain since and above temps for melting.  Considering a truck went partially through on Leech and Red I personally would not venture out in a vehicle anymore.  To risky.  There may be 20 inches here and 12 there that has been deteriorated.  I would strictly use wheelers now.  Watch for more news of vehicles dropping through soon.  BC

I fished north of Two Harbors on Sunday and it was a mess.  The plowed areas had a good 4-5" of standing water, the rest was slop and slush about 1/2 way up to my knee. There was plenty of ice, and there were 4-5 pickups out there, but I scouted it out with the ATV and elected to walk to my spot rather than risk getting stuck in the muck.  This was of course before the rain Monday, so I can only imagine what it's like now.  

I fished the river on Saturday and saw at least a dozen different full sized trucks going in and out of the bays and all over the Arrowhead Flats. Since then an F150 and several ATV's have gone through. Just like Big Country predicted, another one today. Under the Oliver Bridge an old timer on a 6 wheeler spent 30 minutes in the water before a passerby noticed him holding onto the ice. Please be safe, tell your friends, tell anyone who talks fishing. Any ice right now is sketchy

I went out of fish lake and with my leg,  found a hole just a bit smaller than a man hole, right in the middle of a well traveled and plowed road. I Informed the folks at the high banks about it so hope they marked it. I also found several other holes from old holes widened to around 12". Im done driving for the year. If I had a house out there I would be getting it off ASAP.

• Thumbs Up 1