• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time Pelican lake Fisherman. need HELP!

Good evening, Going to be staying at breezy point resort in a few weeks and would really like to try and fish it. Looking at a map of it looks very complicated. First off I'm looking to get some walleyes thats my main goal other species that are on the list are Gills, Crappies. Maybe some pike on tip ups or possibly tullibee. It will be just me. I have access to a wheeler and snowmobile Yet its still unclear whether brining one is even an option. So if I can't get either up there. It will be my two legs for transport I'll have my one man flip over and travel light and stay model if thats what it comes to. I need help as where to fish and what to use. Is a sled or ATV a must have or can I get by with out it? I'm willing to walk up to a mile each way to a spot from the resort if thats what its come down to. I know my brother fished it a few years ago and got some monster tullibee and pike. And he used a sled for transport. Please I need help! Thanks for any light you can shed.

breezy.png

breezy2.png

There are some spots I usually fish

Here is a close up of the northern spot If nothings biting anywhere that is my go to spot usually get a nice mix of northern and bass

breezy3.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks zack! I thought the resort was on the point south of there till I looked this morning it's like a half mile from gooseberry island. Now I feel dumb. So looks like a half mile walk I can get to a good spot for a few different species. Is the walleye and crappie bite there more of a sunset bite or after dark? Is 30 feet a good depth for walleye there?

Actually, you can find great fishing right around Gooseberry Island. Being such a clear lake, Pelican definitely fishes best at low light and night. That being said, focus your efforts shallow, where steep breaks and more gradual slopes meet. Throw in a corner that leads to deeper water, and you have a spot where walleye like to use to access shallow water. If you can find such a spot on a shallow flat, instead of a shoreline break it can be game on as the light fades.

Good luck, give us a report on your trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well we're down to less than a week till it's time to head up. So how's the conditions out on the big lake? Looking at temps for the weekend things may get a bit intersesting but hopefully the fish cooperate. How the bite been over all on pelican crappies and walleyes?

I'll be heading out this weekend in search of walleye.  I don't typically fish Pelican this late so I'm hoping my go-to structure still produces.  I will be on the South side though.

Hey guys! Went out for a few hours today lots of little gills but did manage a few 8 inchers. Fun time out on the big lake anyway. Conditions are deteriorating rapidly. This morning eating breakfast things looked good. Got out there things were in good shape but by the time I left there was water all over and ice was getting very soft. Ice was anywhere from 20-29 inches it very's all over. I would recommend no vehicle travel anymore but I'm not going to tell you what to do. Walking, ATV, or sleds. I can't believe the number of sleds that were out riding today 50 degrees and people are riding seems pretty warm for me I get worried when it's 35. Anyway there's your report thanks everyone for all the help. Sadly that's about the time I'll be able to get out. But some times that's the way it goes. At least I didn't get skunked I thought I would.:blush: Also the dog decided It would be fun to see what's in that white bucket (Minnow bucket) even though I showed him before we left. Guess what happened?!......Yep your right tip tip fall there goes 2 gallons of water and minnows in the back of the SUV. Gosh was I mad! Don't worry were buddies again. After a long talk of course.

Edited by AlwaysFishing23
Added The Dog Part
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

did good in the red X area a couple years ago for gills. might be a long walk now! 

breezy.png.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.