• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A guide to ice fishing: depth, species, & time of day

Freedom81

Hi everyone!... I love to fish... Sometimes I pound the fish, sometimes it's slow, and sometimes I strike out.... So, I'm trying to figure out fish patterns and wondering what type of fish you're catching, at what depth, and what time of day?

I know lakes all differ from each other, but I'm hoping that with a bunch of input, this will be a good resource for someone to look at and get an idea of where to start looking for fish...

Not asking for specific spots; lakes would be nice, but necessary. Same with bait, lure selection and color.  

Thanks for any replies!

Small lake deepest 14 foot have been doing well in 12 feet of water on mix bag of sunfish and crappies a river runs through the lake and I am fishing near the outlet with open water 40 yards away Sunfish were biting to 5pm shutting down Crappies started at 8- 9 pm to 11pm with a few big sunfish in the mix at that time as well silver tungsten jig tipped with only a wax worm was key

Pelican Lake Breezy Point  16fow low light conditions pick some walleyes up off a vmc tumbler spoon tipped with a minnow head (fat head) .

Medium sized lake with small island in middle walleyes in 22 fow started at 830 and 4 come in hit a vmc tumbler spoon glow pink and green with tipped with minnow head (fat head)  also hit on a uv rippin rap orange color and a rattle reel with a fat head on a green glow demon

Rush Lake fishing between cigar and Wilson island crappies in the daytime and night in 24-30 feet of water with a vmc nymph jig and wax worm and a couple on minnows.

I can say If you are striking out move move move

When you get to the lake target a structure that you think holds fish then break it down into grids each of these grinds plan on an hour or so of fishing the grid. Once I make my hour sections I break those down into 20 min fishing sections. This helps you work the structure and find the active fish. Of course if I am catching fish of my liking I am not going to move after my time.

Something like this

fish.png

I know many times I have gone with friends they stay in the first spot they get to and I bounce around they pick up a few fish and I catch tons.

• Thumbs Up 2