• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Fishing Rainbow Trout

Bryan P

Decided to try trout fishing through the ice for the first time and it was awesome. We were setup in 80ft of water and were catching them 20 ft down jigging a silver kastmaster spoon. It was pretty cool to see how the fish acted with the underwater camera. They were like sharks when they came in. We had probably 30 or more trout come in and check out the bait but only few takers.  Was a lot of fun. Definitly going to explore more trout lakes. Doesn't get much better then fishing on lakes with no houses on them! 

Here is a video of the trip with underwater video of the strikes:  https://youtu.be/6JuJhq-50X4

16114197_1842664069283515_2598174702370576324_n.jpg

unnamed.png

16142652_1842664009283521_4488757970505573662_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Fun stuff when their biting! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Trout fishing thru the ice is a blast!!!   Their hits are usually aggressive like that, makes it exciting. They put up a pretty good fight too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except that you mentioned you were in "Only 80 feet" I think I may have used your holes on Saturday this weekend...... LOL  Great video!!  I was close though, setup over 114'

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/23/2017 at 11:12 PM, ZachD said:

Cool I have never chased them when they are in the deep like that fun to watch!

Me either. We had them come through like every 10 minutes was awesome to watch! 

On 1/24/2017 at 0:13 AM, magicstix said:

Trout fishing thru the ice is a blast!!!   Their hits are usually aggressive like that, makes it exciting. They put up a pretty good fight too.

Agreed! They were very aggressive, looked like feeding sharks when they came in on the camera. Great fight too! Definitely hooked! 

21 hours ago, Luttes said:

That's so awesome! Good work on the video!! Where were you?

Thanks Luttes! I was in Crosby Mine pits

20 hours ago, JP Z said:

Except that you mentioned you were in "Only 80 feet" I think I may have used your holes on Saturday this weekend...... LOL  Great video!!  I was close though, setup over 114'

lol... Thanks man! Ya that was the deepest water I have ever fished! Glad I didn't need to go to the bottom lol

Edited by Bryan P

Do they come up shallow sunrise and sunset in pits or do they stay deeper?

Ice always fished them in 10fow or less

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ZachD said:

Do they come up shallow sunrise and sunset in pits or do they stay deeper?

Ice always fished them in 10fow or less

Im not sure, This was my first time ice fishing for them. We got a tip to setup in 80ft and jig 20ft down. Started with that and worked great so never really explored much other depths. 

Was out last night for the Sunset bite........I DO NOT recommend that one.  Ended up with 3 fish and was extremely tough.  The Morning bite we had 14+ in 2 1/2 Hours and lots of misses.

11 hours ago, JP Z said:

Was out last night for the Sunset bite........I DO NOT recommend that one.  Ended up with 3 fish and was extremely tough.  The Morning bite we had 14+ in 2 1/2 Hours and lots of misses.

Do you still fish them deep at those times or do they come shallow like other lakes?

I was still fishing deep so that may have been it, they would still be all over the water column.  Just not active.  I guess If....actually When I try it again for the evening bite I will try the shallower water.

17 minutes ago, JP Z said:

I was still fishing deep so that may have been it, they would still be all over the water column.  Just not active.  I guess If....actually When I try it again for the evening bite I will try the shallower water.

I have always fished them right at legal fishing hours in the morning in 4-10 fow .. get there before set up and drill 2 holes that are connected side by side and sight fish them.... They will cruise right below the ice I have caught many jigging only a couple inches below the hole it sure is fun.

oh and be very quiet

I know, I see many guys doing fishing in the crazy shallow water mornings.  I did well enough in the deep water for mornings so I didn't even consider moving shallow.  I think I just need to fish more so I can keep trying new stuff :)