• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Braided lines

opsirc

How often do you change out braided lines on your ice reels? Finally changed my out, not sure how long it has been on the reel or if needed to change it.

I get a year out of open-water braid. Ice fishing braid takes very little abuse, in comparison. I don't see why it'd need replacement more than every few years.  

I think I just replaced one that was 2 years old I wouldn't have but I was changing that rod reel combo to non braid otherwise it had more life to it yet

If I feel like it needs to be changed I just Re-spool it back on the same reel just the opposite way. Using the same line about 2-3 seasons. Not as old school as some

others, I just like to keep at least semi fresh line on my rods. I've never gone longer then 3 seasons with the same line. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I sometimes reverse the line on the reel but most of the time I only put on new braid when the old stuff gets to short for where I am fishing!

Cliff

I change it when it needs to be changed. That may be once a year or 5 years.

Edited by Fishin machine

never change them. 100lb 50lb 20lb power pro slick 8 or suffex 832

i run normal 50lb on all my rods because its so thin these days, still cast far and durable