• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake of the Woods Fishing Report

LakeofthewoodsMN

Great ice fishing continues on Lake of the Woods. The key depth's are 28 - 31 ft with glow red, pink and gold overall best colors.  Walleyes and saugers mix with some jumbo perch, eelpout and sturgeon as well.  Most fish on the bottom. Electronics really help your catch rate.  Live emerald shiners available.  20"+ of ice on the lake in most areas.  

The Rainy River has been good for walleyes. More of a morning / evening bite.  Know the river or use a resort or guide for safety.   The snowmobile trail is staked from Wheeler's Point to Baudette on the river.  Do not deviate from trail unless you are familiar with ice conditions.

Excellent fishing continues up at the NW Angle.  Reports of 20 inches of ice in areas traveled by resorts. The ice road from Young's Bay to resorts on Flag Island and Oak Island is open to vehicles.  Resorts are fishing in 21-28 feet of water with a nice walleye and sauger bite. Best colors include glow red, pink and gold.  Big crappies, 12-16" in good numbers being caught in Ontario in 28-34'.  Crappies caught in 25' or greater have high mortality rate, thus keep up to limit and move on to another species.  Walleyes and perch biting very well.  Work through resorts and stay on ice road.  
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great fishing everywhere?  Please give me the resorts and depths of the great fishing as that will help me decide where to go.

7 hours ago, Vexilar said:

Great fishing everywhere?  Please give me the resorts and depths of the great fishing as that will help me decide where to go.

Bueller..... Bueller..... Bueller....  I know for myself, personally, haven't gotten any "great" reports from resorts.. I wish I have, I've been trying extremely hard to get my family and daughter into some fishing that confirms the legends... 

I just can't help but laugh. It's the same report all the time. GREAT FISHING! PINK AND GOLD! GLOW RED! yaaaaaawn. Seems like chasing unicorns this year. But it's fishing..

There right here guys... Let me know when you get here, I'll shut off the conveyer belt and let you get behind the fish wheel. 

Screenshot_20170118-101003.png

Screenshot_20170118-101008.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I was up there last Friday through Sunday and fishing was modest we went out of Zippel bay in 31 feet of water.   Friday, fish for a really active and marked fish all day.  Saturday they were still active but marked about half as many and Sunday fished for about four hours caught two and marked three others and they weren't very active .   We were in our own wheelhouse .

4 hours ago, Ballyhoo said:

Does the wording even change in the report or just the date?

Amen on that my brother!! :Bazinga: :grin: