Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sletten420

Make it count.

8 posts in this topic

Well im hoping that maybe ill be able to find a little insight as to how i can feed my ice fishing addiction on the weekend. While working all week its not that I have to travel alot to find a lake. Just that i plunged into my addiction being a novice at best. Looking for some advice on what to look for when choosing lakes and how to go about pursuit on the lake.

What's your fish of choice to pursue? A weekday fish you could find after work are crappies, the basin bite on your local lake/lakes could make for a fun night bite. Panfish in general are fun to chase anytime, northerns are fun to target too but that's more of a weekend thing until we start gaining more daylight. Walleyes are punks to me and I've never been patient enough to target them unless I'm on LOW or Upper Red lol. 

1 person likes this

Definitely panfish, mostly crappies, for me this time of year. A good gill bite is is fun too. I'll actually chase them from late summer / early fall right up until I think they are getting ready to spawn in the spring. Enjoy trying to figure the eyes out during open water too, that's generally May - Sept / Oct. I don't generally target the nords much though as we are on a lake that has a well deserved rep for lots of "hammerhandles"

Hey Jim do you guide for pout on Cass Lake and North Bay????

1 hour ago, loadmaster said:

Hey Jim do you guide for pout on Cass Lake and North Bay????

Guide for pout. Is there such a thing? :confused: :D

31 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Guide for pout. Is there such a thing? :confused: :D

I Don't think so leech!!:D  

Edited by AlwaysFishing23
1 person likes this

Thats what I thought.  But I am sure that is what the guy said

Be cool if there was such a thing. Being people are getting so much more interest in pout it wouldn't be a bad thing I'd say.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• White-tips
      By White-tips

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

The snow pack has diminished and snowmobile trails on the the lake are icy. The forecast for this week is great for extending our ice fishing season.

On the Minnesota side, the number of perch have greatly increased with many 14 inchers being caught. Good sized saugers are being seen as well. The dead stick is still productive, rattlers and spoons used as attracting method in the sand or mud off of the rock structure.

Canadian fishing has been consistent, limits of crappies are being caught in 30-33ft with fine plastics that wiggle. Walleyes can be had easily near rock structure in 22-26 feet.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.6.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing & Ice Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Mid-week we are expecting temperatures in the teens and a few inches of snow which should help extend the hard water season!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up. The morning bite is strong up until the noon hour and picks back up again around 4pm. With the longer days, the evening bite is a little more consistent. Black and gold as well as pink and white have continued to produce the most fish. We are fishing more rock piles than in February and are having good luck at depths between 22 and 24 ft.

On the Canadian side, holes between 28 and 30 feet are a solid bet for crappies. Blue and white tungsten with a red mustache worm or wax worm have been very productive. We are seeing a lot more perch in our catch.

Still a couple weeks of great fishing left, come join us!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.27.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Ice conditions are still favorable with 20-24 inches of solid ice in non-current areas. Snow cover is minimal on snowmobile trails but are still being groomed and in good condition.

On the Minnesota side, we are seeing walleyes being caught  on shallower rock points between 20-24 feet as well as deeper mud between 28-30 feet. A good number of saugers and perch are also being produced. Black and gold have been performing very well using a variety of baits.

Canada is still producing but the crappie bite has been hot and cold within the last week. Walleyes are are most active on rock humps with successful colors being, blue and white, pink and gold.

Until next week!

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Went to a small lake up around Mille lacs lake and found 20-28 inches of ice. The access looked like some busted it up, so eyeguy and I walked out. We caught bluegills and crappies on plastics. It was windy and cold but we got a few nice ones. 

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort, Lake of the Woods NW Angle 2-20-17   Fishing on the MN side started out a little slower at the beginning of the warmer temps we have been having but we have seen a 360 turn around and fishing is back to where we like to see it for the NW Angle. We are seeing a lot of nice Walleye, Sauger, Perch, Tulibee and Pike being caught in 20-26 feet on the rocks and sand. The best areas we have seen all year are on rocks and shallow, the fish are feeding on the crayfish. The best colors ave been gold, red, silver and blue on spoons, rattler flyers, ripping raps and buckshots.   Over on the Canadian Side the Walleyes, saugers, Perch, Crappie and Pike continue to bite. The morning and afternoon bite has been best for the Walleye and Crappies. The Crappie bite has been best in 30 plus feet, look for deep holes with trees nearby and 26-28 feet on rock bars, reefs, shoals and humps for Walleyes. Tungsten jigs #6 or #8 have been best for Crappies with red or pink plastics and a wax worm, spring bobbers and electronics are recommended. Buckshots, flyers, flutter spoons, and rippin raps have been successful for Walleyes   With the warmer temps and rain we have recently experienced most of the snow has melted and we are left with water on top of the ice. For snowmobiles it is recommended to have scratchers to prevent overheating. We still have good ice with 24 plus inches and the roads are still good, the approaches are a little rough and sloppy but manageable. With the cold weather coming things should firm up quickly. Check with resorts and guides for up to date ice conditions.   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Professional Fishing Guide, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers.   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.20.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

We still have lots of ice up here, however the snow pack is diminishing rapidly, especially with the warm temps and rain in the forecast.

On the Minnesota side, fishing away from structure seems to be most productive with target depth being from 22-30 feet. Gold continues to be the hot color. The amount of perch we are seeing in our buckets continues to increase.

Fishermen on the Canadian side are still reaching their crappie limit with ease, fishing holes between 29 and 35 ft. A variety of baits are producing including, wax worms, mustache baits and dead minnows.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.20.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

We still have lots of ice up here, however the snow pack is diminishing rapidly, especially with the warm temps and rain in the forecast.

On the Minnesota side, fishing away from structure seems to be most productive with target depth being from 22-30 feet. Gold continues to be the hot color. The amount of perch we are seeing in our buckets continues to increase.

Fishermen on the Canadian side are still reaching their crappie limit with ease, fishing holes between 29 and 35 ft. A variety of baits are producing including, wax worms, mustache baits and dead minnows.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up this week! The ice is thick and temps are nice, making for a much more pleasurable hard-water experience. Less turbidity has really allowed for more natural colors to work. Using the dead stick is still producing the most fish with depths under a foot off of the bottom. Lots fish in the slot, as well as, multiple over 28!

On the Canadian side, walleyes are being caught in transition zones, with gold and pink and whites being the hot colors. The crappie bite is at 30ft plus in the mud with Tungstens topped with plastic. Jigging spoons with a minnow head are also producing fish.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Holy carp
      By Holy carp
      What do you all run for fishing line in the winter walleye fishing? I've been running fire line on a couple of reels usually 6-10lb line because I get sick of having fish snap my line. I've always had success with this line during early ice, but I am looking to go to a lighter line in hopes of catching more fish this time of year. Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if switching line will help but I'm willing to try it, the last couple of weekends have been really really slow. 
      Adapt or accept mid winter blues?? 

• Net_Man
      I read that they are going to close the walleye season on 9-5-17 regardless of whether the state's quota is met. Fall fishing gone again........    With these highly restrictive regulations that favor ones desire over another's desire will start to pit fisherman against each other.   If we need to have less fishing pressure on the lake then maybe we should close down all of the public launches. Then some would fish other lakes but the balance would be forced to pay to launch at a resort since we are worried about them. Then that extra business could cover their losses if we eliminate live bait which would hurt their fishing launch business. Maybe we should just ban all paid launch fishing and ban all paid guide service on the lake which just brings additional undesired fishing pressure. Maybe restrict the number of hours any one person is allowed to fish the lake throughout the year.   Heck, I would even favor closing walleye fishing for 3 or 4 years straight if that would get us back to some normal regulations.   Yes, these outbursts are why I do not text any more after 10:00 at night. Time to give up the keyboard also.......
    • Borch
      I would look in holes and flats near them.  Deep depends on how shallow the section that you're fishing is.
    • eyeguy 54
      monster quest.  
    • Whiskerbent
      Yeah pike I agree.  Am hoping to head down towards the lake and get to a couple holes
    • monstermoose78
      Going on the hunt tomorrow