Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Nare

Any luck?

JIvers

I hope to have an answer for you this Sunday.

JIvers

Here is a slightly-delayed report:

I got out to the Airport Lake, AKA Bartlett Lake, a couple weekends ago. The panfish bite in deeper water was nothing great, with nothing but small bluegills. I did catch a couple of perch, and saw other guys in shallower water catching them, too.

The best part of the trip was this 27" Northern. I got a couple of hammer handles to go with him.

Hoping to make it up there once more before the ice goes bad, but Mother Nature isn't giving me a lot of time to do that this year.

1-2017 Winona 27 Northern.JPG

JIvers

Still plenty of good ice on Bartlett Lake today. 16" where I was at. No standing water on the ice yet. The shorelines were in good shape, too. Too bad it will probably all be trash by Tuesday. :crazy:

The bluegill were biting well this morning, but for every decent sunny I had to throw back about eight potato chips.

The Northern were slamming tip-ups baited with shiners. Too bad for me I brought suckers. I caught a couple Northern, and a 16" largemouth as well. I would have liked to get out to the airport lake tomorrow morning (after a trip across the river to get some shiners ;) ), but I have other things to do. The backwaters around Winona will just have to wait until next December.

AlwaysFishing23
1 hour ago, JIvers said:

Still plenty of good ice on Bartlett Lake today. 16" where I was at. No standing water on the ice yet. The shorelines were in good shape, too. Too bad it will probably all be trash by Tuesday. :crazy:

The bluegill were biting well this morning, but for every decent sunny I had to throw back about eight potato chips.

The Northern were slamming tip-ups baited with shiners. Too bad for me I brought suckers. I caught a couple Northern, and a 16" largemouth as well. I would have liked to get out to the airport lake tomorrow morning (after a trip across the river to get some shiners ;) ), but I have other things to do. The backwaters around Winona will just have to wait until next December.

I had the same experience today. Tons of little gills and very few big ones pike were not going on anything on tip ups today though. Wasn't fishing your area but figured I'd chime in. I had anywhere from 17-29 inches of ice with some water on top ice is great yet.

JIvers

I'd be surprised if there were much good ice on Bartlett this weekend--that deep water with a bit of current takes a while to freeze--but I may go out and take a look anyway tomorrow when I am up in the area getting my first ice fix of the year in.

Anyone got any early ice reports for the Mississippi backwaters around Winona and Lacrosse? I'll be adding mine tomorrow night.

Woods
On 12/14/2017 at 5:43 PM, JIvers said:

I'd be surprised if there were much good ice on Bartlett this weekend--that deep water with a bit of current takes a while to freeze--but I may go out and take a look anyway tomorrow when I am up in the area getting my first ice fix of the year in.

Anyone got any early ice reports for the Mississippi backwaters around Winona and Lacrosse? I'll be adding mine tomorrow night.

I haven’t checked backwaters since last weekend, but I checked the small lake this morning and it has just under 2 inches of ice.  McNally’s has been hit pretty hard for the last 2 weeks.  

JIvers

Thanks for the reply.

Ya, McNally's gets pounded right away.

I looked at the ice in front of Schafer's in Onalaska yesterday; there was about 3.5" of ice near the docks, and then it got thinner in a hurry. Apparently someone got wet feet there earlier in the day. :eek:

I ended up at Lawrence Lake Marina just north of Brownsville yesterday. There was probably 4" of good clear ice, much better than what I found in  La Crosse.

Will post pictures later, but I got one nice largemouth on a tip up at the Marina, one 10" perch, and a couple small perch. 

Today I drove around Winona, and fished the backwater pond east of Latsch Island on the west side of the road. The ice there was...not real good. :eek: I stuck close to shore on 3" of not-real-clear ice after my spud bar saved me from a cold bath a little farther out. :lol:

I caught a few small perch there, and a bunch of small bluegills. Nothing worth keeping, and nothing on the tip-up.

Was expecting the ice to be a little better than what I found, but what do you do?