• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone have any info on Backus area lakes?   Snow depth, ice thickness, slush, etc.? How's the bite? Thanks

Edited by magicstix

I was out on deep portage and ice was 16 inches got only 1 10in crappie and a few 7 inch gills and a week before that was out on sanborn with ice about 12 inches with only one small northern

Thanks goldenbobby. Will be up next week. Plan at this point is try to spend a day on Leech, Sanborn and Pine mtn. and we'll  see after that what to hit next. Traveling by snowmobile.

I made a mistake on my reply...I ment big portage NOT Deep portage LOL

I did fish Ponto witch is south of Longville...I got there a little late but ended up with one walleye and missed a few

• 3 weeks later...

magicstix, How did you turn out?  Heading up to that area next week.

Edited by morepower02

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, morepower02 said:

magicstix, How did you turn out?  Heading up to that area next week.

Well not so good. Basicly struggled for 2 days to find fish. Sat. night I finally went to a spot that I've caught walleyes in the past and was able to get a few cigars and half dozen perch, all CPR'ed. I also noticed that a lot of the small perms on lake never had any vistors while I was there, not sure what that exactly means though, tough bite, not up for weekend, etc. Mostly wheel houses for weekend, I'm assuming and a few portables.

I did run into a guy pulling his shack off a lake known for panfish. He said he hadn't caught a fish in a week or something like that but he didn't answer where he's going put his shack on now though. Bait shop guy also mentioned he hadn't heard many reports and they're out of shiners but peqout and Pine river supposedly had them.  

Ice was about 22", bumpy and a little snow cover on it still.

All in all it was still a nice trip but sure would have liked to find more fish. Also quite a bit of traffic going up on Thursday, that surprised me.

I was mostly targeting panfish because we have some kids coming up with us in a couple weeks.

It sounds like the spearers have been seeing lots of fish though. Good luck.