• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where to go?

KidMoe

I'm hoping you folks can help generate some inspiration for me. I'm trying to plan a long weekend ice fishing trip and I'm not sure where to go. I plan to run portables only on snowmobiles and I like to get out away from other fisherman and really hunt for the fish. It'd be great to go for lake trout but I haven't had much experience so walleye, perch, pile never gets old for me. Distance isn't too much of an issue within 5-6 hours of the cities would be good. 

What do people think?

Lots of great multi species water in the Ely area, and if you like to chase Lake Trout, you have Burntside, Snowbank, and numerous other lakes in that area.

Good Luck

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Ely area as well no brainer 

• Thumbs Up 1

yep, I would go to Ely also, chase some lakers would be my number one target, but also have a backup plan for walleye. lakers open this weekend.

Stream trout in lakes and walleyes on ed shave lake

Thanks guys! I'm starting to look hard at the Ely area, definitely my kind of adventure! Any advice on lodging up that way?

Stony ridge cabins  any of the resorts.  Grand Ely lodge it depends what you are looking for

6 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Stream trout in lakes and walleyes on ed shave lake

have you fished ed shave much?, I went up this summer with my kayak to fish it, but it rained when I got there and did not get out. nice looking lake though.

I fished it a lot back in college we got lots of  walleyes and some perch 

Isn't Ed Shave a put and take walleye lake?  That's what I was told anyway.  I can't say that I verified it with the DNR.

I fished it twice.  The first time I did well and the next - nada.  It is a lake that begs to be fished though.

For accommodations in the Ely area, you may also wish to check out VRBO, there are a couple small homes right in town that rent very reasonably.

Good Luck

19 hours ago, KidMoe said:

Thanks guys! I'm starting to look hard at the Ely area, definitely my kind of adventure! Any advice on lodging up that way?

If you looking for something affordable the Paddle inn is not bad for a bed, TV and shower.

Where ya going or how did you do

58 minutes ago, huntzy42 said:

I am looking for a lake that produces large gills/crappies  Can anyone suggest a Lake in MN that I can hit?

Throw a dart at a map in the battle lake area whatever lake it lands on have at it

:P