Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

calli4120

Eskimo EVO2 Feedback

3 posts in this topic

First off I would like to apologize if this has been talked about (and I would think it has), but the search function doesn't seem to be working for me.

I have an Older Clam Fishtrap Guide flipover and I am looking for something new.  The guide has been a great shelter, but trying to get out of the front with a heater, gear, and 3 or 4 holes is not an easy task.  I saw the Eskimo EVO shelters last year at the Ice Show and was really impressed with the floor space and ability to get out easily from either side.  While it seems like a great idea standing inside a temperature controlled event center, I would love to hear opinions from the people that have actually used them out in the elements.

Do you recommend them?

Pro and Cons?

Would you buy again?

Other shelter suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Bought the EVO1 few weeks back now.  For me it's freakin awesome.  Most of the day it sits packed up as I'm very mobile and spot to spot looking for fish.  But wanted something roomy when I do setup with the option for a kid when she comes with.  And love lots of windows, hate being confined in some tiny box.  Fits in back of Tahoe without seats down perfectly which can't be said of most sleds nowadays.  Leave it back there all ice season.    Heard the seat isn't very durable, but it is really comfy.  

Setup is a breeze for myself.  Only downfall I could see for some people is getting the back bar support in, but other than that pop front, pop top adjust and wallah.  Every lake I've fished on it thus far has no snow, so been forced to screw in at least couple anchors, but again easy, grab the drill with attachment and they are in literally 30 seconds.  The larger EVO 2 I could see using those anchors quite a bit.  Always keep back of shack towards wind and dont see any need to bungee the actual popouts down.

Haven't really fished out of many other shacks but impressed with the 300d fabric.  It's light and warms up the shack pretty well.  Coldest day out was -2 with wind with the kid and we both were warm with the big buddy on low/medium.  Positive it would be better if we could bank the skirts but haven't been able to this season so far.  

I pull it on the Smitty primarily, so only beef I have with it is room.  Once the canvas and poles get into sled there's not much room for anything else.  Have to limit myself to tackle bag, 5 gallon bucket, locator, big buddy with 1#s, otter case, and the auger sits on homemade holder on Smitty cause ain't no way that's fitting too.  

Sled is cheaper and not sure how that will hold up once I start using the 4wheeler.  Cover is super solid, reinforced on the corners and plenty big to stuff crap under.  For the price I think they are a great house.   

2 people like this

Great review!

I typically start mobile and hop around until I find fish and then set shop for a while.  The storage room was a concern so I am glad you touched on that.  Might have to come up with some inventive ways of getting everything to fit if I buy one.