Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

eyeguy 54

Clam Plate Drill vs k Drill

22 posts in this topic

After drilling with both augers the K Drill is much better IMO. Speed is probably close to the same but with the k drill when you get to the bottom of the hole there is zero catching. I cant say the same for my clam auger. 600 pound torque on the drill.  Sometimes smooth, sometimes it hangs up. Sometimes hard to lift back up also. Maybe I am doing something wrong?  It's ok but I thought it would be nicer. 

1 person likes this

Lazer and Moras have a tendency to leave a chard at the bottom of the hole.  That what the auger is catching on. Sometimes that will stop the drill dead.

OOPS, I meant K DRILL.  Brain fert.  will change

My auger does not normally catch eyeguy  don't force it

Only concern I have with the K-drill is, how long is it going to last? I punch a lot of holes, eyeguy can back me up on this. Let's face it, it's made out of an aluminum tube, some plastic fighting and a cast base... I wonder how many hole I can get b4 it falls apart...lol.

1 person likes this

There are guys with a few seasons under their belt with the K drill, that's what I was looking for, durability when comparing the two. So far they both seem durable but the K drill seems to have better reviews. I'll be owning one soon. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Jim Uran said:

There are guys with a few seasons under their belt with the K drill, that's what I was looking for, durability when comparing the two. So far they both seem durable but the K drill seems to have better reviews. I'll be owning one soon. 

just ordered a nills 6 inch so will have a report in a couple weeks on it. 

23 hours ago, Rick G said:

Only concern I have with the K-drill is, how long is it going to last? I punch a lot of holes, eyeguy can back me up on this. Let's face it, it's made out of an aluminum tube, some plastic fighting and a cast base... I wonder how many hole I can get b4 it falls apart...lol.

I know of at leadt 10 guides on Devils Lake that have been running the K DRILL for 2 seasons now with no durability issues. And these are guys running 4 clients a day, pretty much 7 days a week from mid December through mid March. I would bet those augers have punched more holes in 2 seasons than most guys would in 10 years. About the only time I've seen them switch up is when the ice got to 20"+ then they go back to the Ion or a Pro4. And from I was told it mainly just a convenience factor of not having to bring several extra batteries to get through a full day of moving clients around.

But it's like anything in a lot probably depends on how it's cared for. Throw it around, let's it bounce around in back of a pick up etc and may not hold up as well. 

Now as far as weight and ease of use go, I'd take a K DRILL over the Clam plate any day.

Edited by castmaster

17 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

just ordered a nills 6 inch so will have a report in a couple weeks on it. 

To put on your plate? 

20 minutes ago, Jim Uran said:

To put on your plate? 

no, sold the plate and the auger. will just use the handle that is on my drill. 

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

no, sold the plate and the auger. will just use the handle that is on my drill. 

Lol....i have it, just in case he needs it back :-)

4 people like this

andy will love it. :) 

1 person likes this

That Nils looks killer too, can't wait to hear the review!

1 person likes this

I have seen and heard some dandy reports so hoping for the best. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I have seen and heard some dandy reports so hoping for the best. 

You'll be dancing in the street.

1 person likes this

I love to dance! My leg however cant cooperate as well anymore. grrrrr!  lol 

HA HA ! ! !  

Yesterday on osakis I averaged 26 holes per battery I have the 3amh with drill plate. I got the car charger worth it Iwent through 3 batteries but recharged them. There was about 18 inches of ice

IMG_0805.PNG

Now that I own both the clam and the k-drill...... it's not even close..... K-drill is the winner imo....  :-)  

What if you put the k drill on the plate

That is the plan....the anger that comes with the plate is ok, but just dosen t cut like the k-drill.  Getting about 40ish holes on  one battery with clam auger, 60+ with k-drill.

1 person likes this