• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vexilar or Marcum

cat44

Question

OK.....please don't get frustrated with me. I have a question that I'm quite certain has been discussed many, many times.  So here's the scoop, I enjoy ice fishing but have not been on the ice yet this year.  I'm not a hardcore walleye fisherman, but I will try for them if I get some insight on a good spot. I primarily like to go after panfish (this is what my son enjoys doing).  Anyway, after talking about ice fishing with some individuals they have pretty much planted a seed in my head that I have to have a locator.  Well, I've never entertained the idea of getting one because the times I've been out with guys that have them I don't understand how to even read them!  So.......I'm considering a purchase. I don't need anything fancy!!!!! Just one that can tell me depth, mark my lure/bait, and mark fish as the come in. So, two weeks ago Fleet had the Marcum lx3tc on sale for $390, this week the have the Vexilar FL-8 SE Genz Pack for $270.  Are these good units? Easy to read? Would you buy one over the other, or should I consider a different unit?  Thanks for any replies!!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 answers to this question

Either one will work for your needs.  The Vex you mentioned is an entry level flasher and the Marcum may be slightly higher on the options scale.  I haven't really looked at the new Vexilars for some time.

Personally I've been leaning toward the Marcum line after running a Vex Fl 8 for many, many years.  My Marcum is an Lx 5 though, which is a pretty good leap from the original Fl 8s.  I also believe the display on the Marcums is a little cleaner and easier to read.

Essentially all the flashers work and read the same.  The differences boil down to options and signal strength.  Vex owners sometimes complain when a Marcum owner sets up nearby due to getting interference.  The higher level models give you more settings to manage that interference.  

Of the two you mentioned, if price is not a concern, I'd go with the Marcum.  It's a little more than you NEED but gives you a few features you can grow into and at some point will rely on.

• Thumbs Up 1

This can get into a Ford vs Chevy debate if we're not careful...

Both brands are good. Dont over think it. Both units you listed are great starter units. I'm a Vex guy myself and I have buddies that are Marcum guys. I have yet to be in a situation where similarly equipped units from different brands have outproduced one or the other. 

Bottom line, check them both out and just get the one that appeals to you. Then use it, study it, and master it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have owned both brands also and like both. You mentioned you have a few friends that fish. Ask them to show you the difference while out on the ice. Your eyes might prefer one over the other. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I have the entry level Marcum(vx1Pro(?)) & like it but as mentioned it does cause some interference issues with other units. There are a lot of Vexilar guys out there & if you decide to go that way check out both the FL-8 & the FL-18. If you want to save some $ check out the refurbished/rebuilt units. There's seems to be a difference of opinion on which transducer is the best as well, so ask your buddies. 

That's what most people do here. Welcome to FM & hope we helped

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know you posted about vex or marcum. Don't forget about hummingbird. The only reason I say that is they make good units also and don't interfere with vex or marcum. I have 2 birds, 1 marcum and 1 vex. Out of the three makes I would use the marcum 1st, then 1 of the birds then the vex and then the last bird but that's my choice of the 4 I have

• Thumbs Up 1

I will be looking into a vexilar. I have a marcum troller and on December 20th sent it in for service since it says fast turn around. Figured I'd have it back by January 7th for my LOTW trips. Well that didn't happen and after numerous phone calls someone finally called back and guess what they lost that's right lost it. So to date I still don't have it back. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

some nice deals on the vexilar site for reconditioned units.  come with the 2 year warranty also.

• Thumbs Up 3

Brother just got 1, the way it looked & was packaged it could've easily been new unit that they just put a recon sticker on it. Slightly more than 1/2 of retail

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

some nice deals on the vexilar site for reconditioned units.  come with the 2 year warranty also.

On things like electronics I actually prefer buying refurbished items most of the time. Theory being they come with the exact same warranty as a factory new one. And since those new ones just rolled off an "assembly line" so to speak one may encounter unknown issues that require sending it back. While the refurbished units actually sat on someone's workbench and had a live human being verify everything is working properly prior to releasing it for sale.

Edited by castmaster
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have had sonars from Vexilar, Hummingbird, and Marcum.  They all work the same for what you are looking for.  If you are looking for price point, the Hummingbird ICE 45 is a nice option and it plays well with the Marcum Series.  After trying them all, I settled on the Marcum LX5 as it has crisper lines and more options.  There are a lot of youtube videos on how to use these sonars and once you watch them you will see they are pretty easy to use.  These decisions are like a Chevy/Ford discussion.  When you start with a brand you seem to stick with it as long as it satisfies your needs.  Everyone of these sonars do the same basic thing, they mark the fish great and it makes finding a spot to fish a whole lot easier.   Good luck with your choice.

I just picked up a FLX28 reconditioned from Vexilar, it was a brand new, never opened box returned by a dealer.  All of the reconditioned units they had in stock were in really good condition.  They told me most of them are dealer returns with battery issues and really nothing wrong with them.

Vex still honors the 2 year warranty, I would easily go this route again, plus its a local Minnesota company.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks to all of you that have replied to this thread.

After a lot of contemplating I finally made a decision....I decided to go with just a basic entry level flasher....the Marcum lx1i.  For me it made the best sense! I don't get out a ton. No need to have all the bells and whistles that I more than likely won't utilize. But, the biggest reason I went with this particular unit is I gotten a great deal on it.  The unit is new and when I say a great deal, I mean smokin great!  If I ever figure out how it works I could sell in the future for probably more than I paid for it and upgrade to something different.

Again, thanks for the replies. Good luck on the ice!

• Thumbs Up 1