Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Marcuss42

Lake Superior

14 posts in this topic

How often do you get to ice fish superior in Duluth? I'm hoping it freezes this winter. No bigger thrill then fighting a laker 10lbs plus. With a chance at a whale. 

Not very often the whole lake freezes over but we do get an ice sheet that moves in and out on the Western end. 

When its in and the wind direction is right you can get out here an be reasonable sure your not going to drift off but it still happens just about every year.

4 hours ago, Marcuss42 said:

How often do you get to ice fish superior in Duluth? I'm hoping it freezes this winter. No bigger thrill then fighting a laker 10lbs plus. With a chance at a whale. 

I work downtown duluth a few days a week, I'll keep you posted, there ice in st louis bay and if it stays there cold for the next month there's a chance there will be a week or two of fishable ice in feb

Thanks! Can't wait to head back home for a weekend on the big lake. 

There would have to be a long period of real cold weather for it to freeze and next week looks like some daytime highs in the 20's so unlikely the lake will freeze over this year

Posted (edited)

I work downtown and this morning I noticed skim ice has formed over most of the area from 21st Ave East to as far as I can see towards the Superior entry.  This is the first ice I have seen of any kind on LS this winter (besides random chunks floating down and out from the harbor/river).

Edited by jwmiller33

Skim ice out further, just pack ice the first 200ft  Not me Not Yet

You might want to consider Chequamegon Bay over in Wisconsin. Much more consistent ice over there, plus a variety of species to catch. Sounds like ice on the west side of the bay is slow to form this season, but there going all over the place on the east side. A sportsmen license to fish the bay is only about $25 or so...unless you already have WI license, then it's only $10 for a Great Lakes stamp. I'm hoping to get over there sometime this winter.

1 person likes this

How far from shore do you have to fish though?

As far as you want. Fish are caught right on the shoreline in 2 or 3 ft of water, and they're caught miles out in 200 or 300 ft of water. And everything in between :)

What I meant is I don't like venturing out to far on superior.

I was down by 21st ave this morning, pretty windy but theres are some large rafts of ice a couple miles out, if the wind would turn and die down and a week or two of cold nights we might be in favor. However, the temps for next week are all in the low 30s, which will not help. Hopefully we get some calm winds and extensive peroids of sub-zero temps over the course of the next month~ or so. Keep you all posted every now and then.

"....Hopefully we get some calm winds and extensive peroids of sub-zero temps over the course of the next month...."

Are you sure you want to go on the record as favoring another month of sub-zero temps?  I can already see the mobs forming with their pitchforks and torches.

Personally, I'd love to see solid, safe ice quickly form across the lake, but at temps in the upper 20's. My wife seems to think that we(guys), or at least myself, can suspend the laws of physics and nature when it comes to building things. (NOT!)  But if anybody out there knows how to grow solid safe ice at warmer temps you've got my vote for outdoorsman of the year.

I personally like the cold and dont mind it. But this week is a nice change and prob wont help the ice building much!