Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Neighbor_guy

So slow it hurts.

onceacop

I'm fortunate to use a ski equipped plane and really get away from people except maybe some snowmobiles that are determined. Fishing isn't what it used to be. A buddy living in Warroad for 30 years prays every year for heavy snows and wind so vehicle traffic is limited or paralyzed. He fishes exclusively by snow machine and goes way out. He claims fishing is poor enough that he goes to the Canadian side clearing customs for a quality fishing experience. The ice castle craze is brutal as far a pressure goes. I remember the days when most houses were resort rentals and then the average joes were setting portables. I can still recall the years when a Mankato Canvas suitcase portable was a top of the line setup. Red lake wasn't the destination back then, Mille Lacs and LOTW ruled. The consumption of fish, fish frys, restaurants cooking anglers fish, and then these consumed fish not being counted towards daily limit is an issue. Don't think for a moment this behavior is rare. There are many devoted ethical sportsmen and there are those that are not. You cannot build cities of anglers numbering in the thousands fishing 24 hours a day upon even vast lakes and not impact the fishery. As far as natural resource enforcement goes on lakes like Red and LOTW, it's been very evident to me for many years that the risk of getting caught for a violation is like getting hit by lightning. Red lake will crash again and LOTW will limp along having more diversity and water sheds to shield it some. 

• Like 4

swamptiger
On 1/6/2017 at 4:08 PM, walleyenerd said:

There sure is a lot of interesting discussion going on in this thread, and a variety of experiences with regard to fishing success.  I would like to add a historical perspective to the discussion.  My reason for chiming in is the frequent reference to the “good old days”.  I hear a lot of that, but no one ever defines when those days were.  For instance, were they in the late 1960s?  At that time there were about 550,000 pounds of Walleye harvested through the sport (summer and winter) and commercial fisheries.  The reason we know this is due to a series of creel surveys that were conducted.  Those creel surveys were conducted because anglers pressured the DNR to learn more about the lake, since anglers were worried that there were massive problems with the Walleye population.

There were no surveys conducted during the 1970s, but starting in 1981 creel surveys were conducted with regularity.  Winter angling pressure had grown more than 10-fold since the 1960s, to over 400,000 angler hours by 1983.  Interestingly, Walleye harvest was a pretty small component of what anglers harvested in the winter.  Most of the harvest was Sauger during this period.  The winter fishery continued to grow, and pressure reached 1 million angler hours by 2001, and 1.9 million angler hours in 2004.  As the pressure, especially in the winter, went up, so did Walleye and Sauger harvest, so that 625,000 pounds of Walleye and 300,000 pounds of Sauger were harvested annually, on average.  This level of harvest was well above what was considered a safe level (currently 540,000 pounds of Walleye and 250,000 pounds of Sauger), so bag limits were reduced, and a protected slot was enacted.  Were these the “good old days”?

Since 2005 the amount of pressure on Lake of the Woods has stabilized to about 1.5 million angler hours in the winter.  Summer pressure hasn’t really changed much since the late 1980s, though there are certainly years with more or less pressure.  Since 2005 the average annual Walleye harvest has been 539,000 pounds, and Sauger harvest has averaged 305,000 pounds.  Sauger remains above the target, but Walleye are right on.

Still, some folks that posted here feel that fishing has declined.  I can’t argue with that.  The greatest change we have seen in the fishery, especially the winter, is the increase in participation (pressure).  Keep in mind we are still harvesting the same amount of Walleye that we did in the 1960s (we are however harvesting about ten times as many Sauger).  Guess what, when your participation goes up, and you harvest the same number of fish, everyone ends up harvesting fewer on an individual basis.  That is reality.  Is the lake being over-harvested?  No, but everyone’s slice of the fish pie has gotten smaller.

Good post walleyenerd.

My earliest fishing recollections on LOW go back to the late 1960's, and what stands out in my memory is a lot less winter activity in the southern basin, and the large numbers of eelpout "trash fish" left on the ice.

But I also remember doing some summer fishing in the 1970's on the launches, and if you wanted a really good mess of fish, they would take you north into the reefs and islands.  But this might have been related to the fact that you could "double up" on your limit by having both a Canadian and Minnesota license.

peaches and cream

Fishing was very good for us over weekend a lot of big ones caught was very fun all suspended

JbuZZo

I drove over 500 miles to get here... Fishing has been a'iight... And I couldn't be happier. Got here Saturday will be here for... Well, a while... 

Neighbor_guy

Well said

Knowknot

Well stated, walleye42. I couldn't agree more with you.

soultwist
2 hours ago, walleye42 said:

dingle danger 5000

I'm not going to wade into if the fishing is better or worse but just two thoughts that popped into my head:

1>  It's human nature to remember the best times from the past and not the worst so when you look back it's usually fond memories.

2>  In addition to the wheelhouse explosion everything else also makes the fishing so much better and just compound the pressure issue.  ie.  Guys in those wheelhouses have electronics, good poles and line, a gps and likely GPS lake map, etc, etc, etc

What I really wanted to say was I NEED 5 of the dingle dangers 5000's fast and darn the cost!

(and don't tell my wife)

• Like 1

Hoey

Another possible variable in all of this is the over abundance of slot fish that may impact the entire population due to an un-natural imbalance of fish this size.  

I have brought this up to others and the typical response is the larger walleyes are not eating the smaller ones.  How do they know, they are not getting cut open?  Last winter, two larger 18" sauger I kept had a 6 to 9" walleye in their gut.  

If this is true, then how about a response on how this impacts the forage base available?

• Like 1

live4chrome

What slot fish?

I just fished thurs-sunday and no one in our group of 4 houses saw a single slot fish.

• Like 1

JbuZZo

Here's a slot fish... Caught it two days ago... Wish I was catching more... 

Fish on! 

20170110_135306(0).jpg

jigemup

I have had zero trouble getting a good bite are their ups and downs with weather yes but the fish are their biting do I get pinned down by a wheelhouse beer and satellite tv no I am portable and moving until good bite is found have had some phenomenally fishing this season you get out of it what you put into it

Big A
2 hours ago, jigemup said:

you get out of it what you put into it

I certainly know a heck of a lot of people who have put in a heck of a lot more... And have the experience on this body of water to boot... Who are beside themselves with absolute disgust and dispair at the condition of this fishery. Ups and downs. Lows and highs. Things are being wrecked.. solid wrecked... URL 2.0

Big A
On 1/12/2017 at 11:51 AM, walleye42 said:

Guys complain about only catching 20-25.  20-25 is not a bad day, that is decent action. 

I've read this thread and dozens of others between the LOTW AND URL forums. I do not see anyone complaining about only catching 20-25. Looks to me like people would be overwhelmed with sheer joy to be catching 20-25 in a day! That's not just decent action, it's a purple unicorn with a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!

CANOPY SAM

Really, Big A?  In complete honesty I'd say I come up with those numbers (or markedly better) probably 3 out of 4 times I fish LOTW.

If the majority of people you know, or fish with, are really struggling to catch 10-20 fish per day on LOTW, I'd wager they may be doing something wrong.  I don't mean that in a derogatory, sarcastic, or demeaning way at all.  I'm simply saying that perhaps they are using too heavy of line, maybe something stinky on their fingers, or their bobbers are a little too big?  I don't know for sure.  Just kind of thinking out loud.

It is a very rare occasion when I fish Lake of the Woods and don't catch a bucket full of fish, or at least catch enough for a nice meal for my family.  If the fishery was REALLY struggling the summer launches wouldn't be bringing in limits of fish for every angler virtually every day.  I truly believe, if the fishery was really in trouble, our DNR would be making a bit more noise about it.

I do have days when I simply can't make the fish bite, but like I said, that's typically only 1 out of maybe 4 or 5 trips, and usually on those trips I'm still seeing them on my electronics.  They just aren't feeding.  It happens.  But frankly, if you aren't consistently catching at least a handful of fish out there, you probably are doing something they don't like.

That being said, I typically ONLY target the lake during times of the year when I KNOW fish are biting pretty well.  Early spring, late fall, first ice, and last ice.  I intentionally avoid the "dog days" of summer, and winter, because one can expect that fishing these times will be tough.  Additionally, as it pertains to this discussion, we are right now in the "dog days" of winter. ;)

• Like 2

tipupsonly

Off topic a little but how about the sauger population. They are thriving and look how hard they get hammered in the winter. Most of the guests at resort are filling their limits with those versus walleyes, especially when the fishing is slow.  It's just interesting how that population is doing so well and being harvested so hard too. Not to mention all the saugers  that are thrown back from 30-35' of water that die from being reeled up too quick. 

Big A

I fish LOTW consistently 3-4 per week from late Dec - Feb and then another 5-6 trips before ice out in March and April if weather permits. No argument that historically certain times of year are better than others. But so far this season, I have not witnessed or caught even one limit amongst my group. None. Zero. Just a few fish here and there. Maybe a dozen combined here and there. And that's a very healthy amount of experience on the ice also, hundreds of years combined and decades for myself. I'm not a wheelhouse, I move, I CPR the rare fish caught, and hope sincerely that people will begin being honest with themselves about what is being done. It isn't like we have seen this type of thing before, once, twice, oops nope... It's three times now. 

I suppose I will re-invest in my love of pizza rolls. Cuz the only fish I'm eating come on a bun I guess..

Things are not what people claim they are.. but I get it. From here on out I will claim I'm absolutely hammering fish on gold and pink or a plain red Hook and sit back and watch everything continue as is and just expect nothing will change. Worked for several other lakes didn't it... NOPE

jigemup

Had another great weekend moved seven times this weekend but found a solid steady bite and it wasn't in the mud fish are much more structure related right now

Big A

A certain fast food giant has 2 for $5 crispy fish fillet sandwiches! All problems are solved! :crashh: