• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Soft plastic baits

ANYFISH2

What are your favorite soft plastic baits for the ice season?

Any depth or time of year considerations?

Brands and style please, just started to make an effort to really use more plastic a few winters ago.

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

I like minnow style baits like gulp or powerbait for aggressive walleyes, crappies, but especially for lake trout.

When youbare traveling long distance by  snowmobile or wheeler they are a lot less hastle than live bait. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Maki Mino all colors

Maki Mino all colors

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Maki Mino all colors

Maki Mino all colors

So, I should try Maki Mino!:D

Keep 'em coming, thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Custom Jigs&Spins Ratso and/or Wedgee tails in glow, chartreuse, red and black. I use it the whole ice season for all panfish.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are some good shares in this thread I started. I've really been trying to use more plastics this season, especially when the fish are active. I'm still not convinced that plastics are more effective when the fish are neutral or less-than-neutral. Still getting a lot of staredowns with plastics, but I see the successes that other members have with them, notably Eyeguy. 

http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/topic/180126-what-are-your-favorite-soft-plastics-lures/

I have a bag full of about 25 different plastics that I bring along.  I need to forget my euros some day so I use them more !  LOL 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
On December 29, 2016 at 1:53 PM, eyeguy 54 said:

I have a bag full of about 25 different plastics that I bring along.  I need to forget my euros some day so I use them more !  LOL 

It's been years since I've bought waxes or spikes.  Although, on some slow days I wonder if I should have brought some.

I have lots of favorites.  Little Atom Nuggies, and Noodles.  Panfish Plastics Chiggers, chigger fry and ballzy.  J & S Custom Jigs Ice Mite and Gojo.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of great info here let's hear from others

Lindy Wats Its, fished horizontally on a Northland gum ball jig.  Walleye, perch crappies and Northerns.  Super in the summer as well

• Thumbs Up 1

I need to try use other kinds of plastics 

One of the effective plastics for me lately is the Berkley PowerBait 3/4" wishbone in white and black.  I have some additional colors coming in the mail but these have really well for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think more then anything Jeff it's the scent. Bring a scissors and some of your favorite colored powerbait bass worms out next time; you're going to be surprised. The downfall to powerbait is its durability.

Northland Impulse has been my favorite, but have many others that get played everytime out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Definitely could be Tom.  PowerBait and gulp in lots of shapes and sizes have worked over the years.

I just got done cutting up some more custom profiles and colors that have been getting smacked by some trophy crappie lately.

I've been having great luck with northland impulse mini smelt and gulps version of the same. Been out fishing live bait with them for crappies and gills

• Thumbs Up 1