• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is too big

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

What is to big of a jig for gills? I have used 1/4 oz buckshots. I have watched gills come in while jigging for pike the are not going to eat that big spoon, but they like to look. 

I have seen Jim catch some nice gills on a big jig.  I have not tried but maybe a guy should. 

That is what I am thinking @eyeguy 54 and I know Jim will give his ideas.

Targeting them on big jigs is pretty non typical but I've done it on a couple of lakes just to keep the 6 and 8" guys off lol, doesn't happen too often but bluegills get pretty aggressive and will chomp down bigger jigs especially at prime time. Lots of folks will drop a chain or a short chunk of mono in between a spoon and small ice fly and it's the spoon that attracts them but the fly finishes them off.  

Apart from a dropper rig, bluegills will chase and attack a vertical minnow style bait, (e.g. Jigging Raps, Foo Flyer, Hali Marmuskat) You'll even catch them on bigger baits at times, while chasing crappies I've caught them on lindy darters, salmo darter, etc..  

• Thumbs Up 2

Picked up a couple of the smaller jigging raps and I am going to give those a try. I think in a couple of the lakes I fish they will hit em

I want to see you use the jigging raps while I am slaying em on the maki mino ! But I think we should try up sizing more often.