• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Anyone fishing? 

Have getting some ducks but I have not heard much about fishing lately. I will be turkey hunting this weekend in the afternoons. Let’s call it a combo deer/turkey hunt with the old crossbow. 

Lets hear from some of you?

Watch yourself if you are fishing or hunting rivers. We got some heavy rain and things will get crazy.

7820CE43-A13C-40B5-8BC3-0EB2E6DCDC2C.jpeg

Well I am hearing green lake is giving up some eyes along the weeds.

deer are moving around and scrapes are being made.

pheasants are in around but in pockets.

grouse are being flushed but the woods is thick. 

Woodcock moved in again. 

Ducks this the time t hunt we got all kinds around at this time.

Well I went hunting with former member and the ducks were flying but out of range and the few we saw in range we missed. I will be out in the morning to try again.

Again this morning I could not hit anything. This missing is get expensive.

the rum is back in its banks so bet the fishing is amazing? Anyone out trying? Where are all of you? I know it’s busy time but let us know what you are chasing.

Hey Moose , sounds like some tough shooting as of late for you at those duckies . Just curious as to what choke you are using ?

If your getting some pretty close shooting (and gauging by your photos you are in those setups), you might want to use an IC (improved cylinder) choke instead.  Spread that pattern out a little more and switch to some smaller shot size with more velocity, especially if you're mostly just shooting as small ducks like woodies.

I almost exclusively use an IC until the calendar turns November, for ducks, pheasants, and grouse.  Later on when you get more shooting at bigger, smarter birds that are on the edge of range you could go back to a modified.

Edited by gimruis

Well this front drove the wood ducks out for the most part. I seen 7 wood ducks and I got one only one shot. Finn made a fine retrieve and made me proud. 

1AA04FF5-8227-46D5-A7AD-C2FF60EE642C.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the divers are around. The little ponds are icing up this means one thing firearms season is here and ice fishing is coming. 

I hunted for divers and saw nothing within range. Watch for more reports soon with photos.

Hey Moose my dog looks almost exactly like yours.  5.5 year female british Labrador.  I take her often in the boat fishing and obviously when I duck and pheasant hunt in the fall.

British Lab.JPG

Here's a more recent one.  She use to be fascinated by fish.  Now she doesn't pay much attention to them.

19.75 inch largemouth.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, gimruis said:

Hey Moose my dog looks almost exactly like yours.  5.5 year female british Labrador.  I take her often in the boat fishing and obviously when I duck and pheasant hunt in the fall.

British Lab.JPG

Here's a more recent one.  She use to be fascinated by fish.  Now she doesn't pay much attention to them.

19.75 inch largemouth.JPG

Beautiful dog!! 

Been diver hunting the last two day what a blast. First day I saw so many ducks and I got a double on goldeneyes. 

98D1EE94-A557-4CF9-87A3-31B88A745690.jpeg

Then today not many ducks got a hen goldeneye and a merganser 

B7A691B1-5471-4E57-96E3-30A5BFFEAAF9.jpeg

Hey Moose , your dog is also great looking. . . Also wondering how those mergansers and goldeneyes taste , I wouldn't think to good , but hope that you enjoy the bounty.

i put them in a wild rice hot dish and they are fine. I fry them in bacon grease first. 

I made a big batch for deer hunting it will be gone in two days easy.

Well deer was the year of enough bucks seen by me and I shot like crazy. If you fall and bump you gun it can be off a lot. I was sick missing with the 06 so I had to use the 223 and never got to use it. I missed a nice 8, a forky, and 5 pointer all 60-100 yards. I did sight my rifle in but slipped walking the woods fell but did not think bumped my gun. Haha it was off 2 feet low and to the right 7 inches. I moved closer to where the deer were coming from so my 223 shots would 50 yards but never had a deer come by then.

57 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well deer was year enough bucks seen by me and I shot like crazy. If you fall and bump you gun it can be off a lot. I was sick missing with the 06 so I had to use the 223 and never got to use it. I missed a nice 8, a forky, and 5 pointer all 60-100 yards. I did sight my rifle in but slipped walking the woods fell but did not think bumped my gun. Haha it was off 2 feet low and to the right 7 inches. I moved closer to where the deer were coming from so my 223 shots would 50 yards but never had a deer come by then.

That SUKS! :(

• Thanks 1

It’s all good! I see the lakes around are freezing over that means I will be ice fishing soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

F48BB7FE-7C0C-4877-BEE5-C3EF234F8093.jpegFinn and I have duck hunting the last 3 now gets and have not seen a duck or goose. I guess it’s roosters and grouse from now on anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did some pheasant hunting of my own on Fri and Sat near the Princeton area with a friend and did very well.  I think the fact that a lot of standing corn was recently removed played a big role.

IMG_1210.JPG

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 3

Great idea Finn and know of some great areas for roosters!! 

Congrats on the birds

Nice I think I will give it a try tomorrow I think I know where you were hunting I was there before the corn was taken out and flushed a couple hens and one rooster

Well to all who think the diver ducks taste bad most could not tell the difference. My dad did mention he had some strong pieces of duck in his batch. He said it was great except for the one B.B. I missed. I had some wood ducks, mallards, goldeneyes, and mergansers mixed together in the wild rice hot dish. None of the pieces of duck I had were bad and I did have a piece that was stronger favored but it was not bad.

I grill wood ducks up with a bacon and a jalapeño slice in bite sized pieces. This does just for eating. 

Okay to the really issues!! Upland game birds it’s time to get out chasing them. I have my list to get done that the wife left me. Then Finn and I are out to get some birds.

next up ice fishing!! Here is the deal I will be working with Rick G to set a get together for any one who would like to come and pick our brains or just hang out. More details will come as we get this rolling

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had a few divers in the past and they were noticeably darker/stronger tasting than the grain eaters.  Would I say they were unedible?  No.  But there was definitely a noticeable difference.

Looks like we're gonna get some real winter weather this week.  Everything should freeze solid like concrete.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, ZachD said:

Nice I think I will give it a try tomorrow I think I know where you were hunting I was there before the corn was taken out and flushed a couple hens and one rooster

I went again this past weekend and did well.  Every spot I hunted had birds.  A friend and I went home with 5 roosters in about 4 hours of hunting.

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, gimruis said:

I've had a few divers in the past and they were noticeably darker/stronger tasting than the grain eaters.  Would I say they were unedible?  No.  But there was definitely a noticeable difference.

Looks like we're gonna get some real winter weather this week.  Everything should freeze solid like concrete.

I went again this past weekend and did well.  Every spot I hunted had birds.  A friend and I went home with 5 roosters in about 4 hours of hunting.

Must not be the spot I though you hunting private?

Went to some public land and the corn was still up earlier the season I flushed a couple each time I was out this time was a bust.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:15 AM, ZachD said:

Must not be the spot I though you hunting private?

Correct, all the places I hunt are private land.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the lakes are locking up. Please watch as the swans and geese kept spots open. The ice around Princeton is sketchy at best, so tomorrow I am headed north to fish.

Good luck and be safe kidmoe 

• The title was changed to Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports