• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Wahoo most of the small lakes have locked up!! This snow did not help but it should blow off if we get a breeze! Fingers crossed!!

It is going to warm up but I think some lakes will keep the ice until it gets colder. Please use caution if you are checking ice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I’m going to go fishing Tuesday after my dentist appointment. If it was not so windy to I would have gone out. 

9 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well I’m going to go fishing Tuesday after my dentist appointment. If it was not so windy to I would have gone out. 

Where you going Moose? depending what time I would possibly be down to head out somewhere if you wanted company

• l Love It 1

I will pm you Zach 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Borch and @IceHawk thanks for taking me out fishing today!! It was great to hit the ice with you guys and I got to test out my new custom rod. If any of you don’t think you need a custom rod You need to try one out for yourself.

4FB65483-8ECE-4C64-AB2C-1DFBE25A7A14.jpeg

47A89EFD-88C7-46E2-B463-AFEAE7D49B92.jpeg

156B1835-2E62-4B23-AB38-0C4082F66950.jpeg

C129D126-FA80-4C22-B425-E0C973D50301.jpeg

DDFC74E4-B361-4BB3-A78A-A5A5E82128FC.jpeg

0F1DAC07-D8F8-4C2F-9440-98F1B772896C.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Your Welcome it was a fun day for sure. We will do it again soon !. I agree a custom rod is a tool to success definately worth the investment. 

Went out and fished one of my big gill spots and it was crazy to see all those big gills in buckets. I cried inside as this place is now going to take years to build back those gills. Some young guys listened to me and said they were sorry for having 50 big gills in their bucket. Yes they were under their limit they had 4 guys. They asked about the gear I had were interested in Learning about big gills. I recommended taxidermists to them. They really liked my measuring board. Here was one of the gills I got! 

676C2EE0-8B7E-45F6-A12A-E12E204C2BFE.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Most lakes have 7-10 inches but there are thin spots.

Open water right in front of launch on linwood. 2 guys went through this morning. Up to their waists in water. Just be careful walking out. Had 9 inches everywhere I drilled on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Who has been out lately?

25 minutes ago, machinist24 said:

Knife wasn’t to hot. Fished it all day with my buddie. Only 6 keeper crappies.

Well you tried right. Thanks for the report. I will be going out tomorrow and I am thinking of heading north. 

Was out today around Princeton and laid the smack down on 4-6 inch bluegills. In less than two hours I caught at least a 100 and only a few over over 7 inches. Was good to get out and the ice was 10-12 inches for the most part. One areahad 8 tops, so please wait to drive out. I was using a 3mm with a pink mayfly. I think I should have tried my go to pug bug and maki mino. I will be trying a different lake next time.

63CCE9D2-648E-4BD8-9752-0DFA4B4FFCAA.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

I went out to Blue this morning. Had about 9-10" of ice. Not so much by the pier on the east access on Friday when I was out scouting. Had 2 guys drive out from the east access after I walked out. They asked how much ice, I told them 8". The guy replied "that's enough to drive on".

Didn't catch anything and saw little to nothing on the Vex. Pretty quiet day.

• Thanks 1

It’s scary guys are driving on the ice. I have found some thinner areas on most of the local lakes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was out on Spec on Sunday. Although there was 10-11" where I fished, there were spots in the middle that appeared to have 4-6". I haven't been on the ice for several years so that got to be a little nerve racking for me ?. Managed 1 little hammer handle on the west side.

Edited by Dave S

swans had open spots and still do on some lakes. Green normally has thin spots  as well. If we get this heavy wet snow it’s going to be bad ice year.

Driving a car on 8 inches of ice is pure stupidity.   Honestly it may take some kind of law enforcement to stop some of these people from being so stupid winter after winter.

Ok we lucked around Princeton with the snow. We got 2-3 inches of slush that should be frozen solid and making ice with -8 on my thermometer at this time. Please give it time before you drive out. The plan is to go fishing on Sunday if it warms up to 30 like they say. I am trying to decide on where to go. I am thinking green but I might go to some other lakes. I’ll play it by ear. My goal is to try and find some big gills. Please try to release those gills over 8 inches as we need them in the lakes to allow the small fish to focus on growing and not on spawning. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Product reviews by monstermoose78:

I purchased a custom rod from Kichler Custom Rods and the rod is a black ice with blaze orange thread wrapping the guides. As I have mentioned before I really like the snitch but this black ice rod makes snitch feel like a broom handle for sensitivity. I have been running a 3 mm jig on the black ice and it loads the tip just enough to see those up bites. I have say if you are thinking of going to custom rod give Kichler Custom Rods a try.

I have descent reel from 13 fishing paired with my Kichler black ice. It has been working well for me. I have it spooled with 3 pound mono and 3 mm jig with a size 14 hook. I really like the impulse mayfly nymphs thanks to @eyeguy 54 . 

600FF8B8-0AE2-427A-8F68-0A56F61759AD.jpeg

23BAB1AF-479F-44E7-BE6B-12E85609F23E.jpeg

8A70BD25-F637-4940-891B-B7DB9F924A65.jpeg

11207A88-DA4D-4CAC-9984-D452509D4D4F.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Went to one of my big gills spots that has winter kills and it’s full of 4-6 inch gills. I guess it will be a while longer if it ever comes back. The pike there were fat as can be. The kichler impressed my best friend to the point he is ordering one. He could not detect the bites and I was pulling fish after fish.

• Thumbs Up 2