Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

icepike 1

Minnetonka fishing report and ice conditions

23 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anybody's been on Minnetonka lately and have any ice condition reports. Pacifically Wayzata Bay. Thanks in advance. 

I called Wayzata Bait this morning and was told 1-2 inches in Wayzata Bay, with only a couple sets of foot tracks venturing out a bit

Thanks for the update anchor man. 

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. 

But after Christmas I'm going to check it out myself have a buddy that's itching to get out there. 

Check out a few smaller bays on tonka. I've been finding a good 5-7inches on some. Obviously be careful and to tell me everyspot where you catch fish!

Was out yesterday and today. Found 10-11" of ice by Shore and 5 inches of good ice with another 2 inches of Cloudy ice further out but be careful could see some real dark looking ice out there. Didn't care to get to close to that ice. There's four wheelers and foot traffic starting. Walleyes are biting just find a point at about 16 - 20 feet. Small suckers are working well. 

Found a good 12-13" of ice. Cars and trucks all over. 

On the lake right now. Plenty of ice seeing 16 to 20"

Was on Wayzata Bay this afternoon, and measured 18" of ice.

1 person likes this

Out on West Arm right now scouting for the upcoming Kraus Anderson Walleyes on Ice tourney. Sitting on 16-17" ice, only managed one perch but can't beat the conditions!

1 person likes this

Was out after work for a couple hours yesterday and got two walleyes to bite. The Landing is getting flooded out. Was kinda hesitant on driving out after seeing all the trucks parking on Shore and taking the long walk out. With all the black ice out there it was a little spooky but after seeing 17" to 19"of good ice  was pretty comfortable with it

Has anybody been out on Wayzata Bay and if so can you share how much ice you're seeing out there and are people driving? How's it looking out there? Planning on going out tomorrow all day. Thinking the ice should be drivable just not sure after this warm up and planning on going well past the crowd of ice houses. Thanks in advance. 

Out right now been set up since 6:30am. 18" of ice, few ppl driving around. Mostly cars and wheelers, couple trucks as well. 

1 person likes this

That's what I wanted to hear. Maybe I'll see you out there will be heading out. 

Good luck keep them lines wet

Slow all morning get a phone call and then instantly this guy shows up. Fun cpr maybe 28" IMG_0315.JPG

That seems to be the case as soon as you get distracted and they hit. Nice Northern

Thanks man. You got that right, I got off the phone looked over and thought "hmmm how long has that been up?"

Headed off now might swing back out for a night session. 

Can anyone offer some suggestions on where to target some Northerns on Minnetonka?  I don't need specific spots, but some tips on what bays or areas to start looking.

This one was caught in 26' of water off some weeds.  First time on Tonka for me this year. Not a pike angler per say but I always seem to catch at least one per trip. 

Tonka is full of Northerns you could go just about anywhere but Smiths Bay is well-known for them. I'm surprised I haven't came across one yet in my new spot so far. Catching nothing but walleyes here got a decent one at 18 inches today. This one had these slug looking things stuck all over its face has anybody ever seen this or may know what this might be was kind of thinking it might be fleas or something. Hardcore365 did you come back out for the Night Bite? I didn't get out tell this after noon the ice doesn't seem to have been  affected by the warm front looking really good. 

2 minutes ago, icepike 1 said:

Hardcore365 did you come back out for the Night Bite? I didn't get out tell this after noon the ice doesn't seem to have been  affected by the warm front looking really good. 

Yea I made it back out. Hit up a spot I've caught walleyes in the past but no luck tonight other than 4" perch. One nice mark but no go. Ice was 18" in that spot too. Fished 3-6:30pm 19-34 fow. 

We are on 25-30 fow. brought the camera today didn't see any walleyes on the camera but a few perch still pretty cool to see the bottom structure and is a nice helpful tool to get you closer to were you want to be. 

Was on Grays Bay this afternoon.  Did not measure, but an educated guess was 16".  Got a nice 18" bass on a sucker.  2 other flags, but they stripped the sucker.

Does anyone know if the ice has mealted enough to fish Tonka tomorrow?  I checked Wayzata bay yesterday and there was some open water in the middle, with about a hundred yards of ice from shore. There was even a wind surfer in a dry suit walking out to the open water.  Not sure I agreed with that choice, but I am trying to go fishing tomorrow so I am really not in a position to toss the first stone.