Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Stick in Mud

They're biting!

86 posts in this topic

Dad and I fished this past Saturday and Sunday with portables and saying the fishing was slow would be an understatement. Between the 2 days we hit the mud flats pretty hard and stayed very mobile. Didn't even set up a house during the day because it was so nice out. We fished the mudflats from East Flat down to Blue Jug, over to 8 Mile and back up to Matton Flat. The day bite was very tough, we would mark fish but they wouldn't want much to do with it. We picked up 3 eyes Saturday morning with the biggest being 17" then picked up only 3 more during the day. They only seemed to hit our dead sticks with a shiner on it. We used mainly VMC gold perch tingler spoons and flutter spoons without much luck jigging. On Saturday night we had a sleeper rented from Twin Pines Resort and our house was in 20'. We had 6 bites throughout the night with a bigger fish breaking off and a couple smaller ones being caught. We really had to give them a lot of time to inhale the shiner. On Sunday we went back out to the Mud Flats with little confidence and the fishing was pretty slow again. Didn't hear many good reports from this weekend, not sure if it was the warm weather along with the pressure system or what.

2 people like this

Fished Mille Lacs for the first time in a few years.  Went out of the east side and set up in about 27'.  Caught about 50 walleyes Friday and Saturday in my house.  Missed a ton more.  Biggest was 24", average 16-17".  Can't believe all the houses on the lake!  We had a group of 12 in 3 houses.  I think my house did the best, but there were plenty caught in the other two.    

My cousin stayed and fished Sunday night.  He got away from the groups and set up in 37' and caught 16 walleyes from 6pm until this morning.    

2 people like this

Similar report today. Marked tons of fish but only caught a half-dozen between two of us. The fish would just stare at our baits and then move on. 

1 minute ago, BassThumb. said:

Similar report today. Marked tons of fish but only caught a half-dozen between two of us. The fish would just stare at our baits and then move on. 

Friday night until about 9:00 they were aggressive as heck, and jigging worked very well.  It seemed like after that they didn't want much to do with jigging, and the set lines were key.    

1 hour ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Friday night until about 9:00 they were aggressive as heck, and jigging worked very well.  It seemed like after that they didn't want much to do with jigging, and the set lines were key.    

Most of our fish came on minnows under bobbers. I spooked countless fish with even subtle jigging. 

Things have become pretty hit or miss for my house out there.  I fished last week from Tuesday through Sunday; alas, school started yesterday so it's back to the real world for now.  During afternoon primetime, I caught between zero fish (yes, I got skunked one night) and 12.  Daybite was very tough (mainly because I quit fishing and either went hiking over at Kathio, tip-up fishing in the bays, or went down and looked at guns at Boone's), but the reports I heard from those fishing hard during the day made that decision fairly easy.  

The overnight bite was pretty steady, with multiple fish each night coming on the rattle reels.  I pulled the lines twice because I got sick of catching 15-17'' walleyes. 

Sunrise was also hit or miss. 

All in all, it's not early ice anymore, that's for sure.  I'm still fishing fairly shallow, and it might be time to move the house.  Biggest fish all weekend was just under 28''.  I still have only one keeper in my current location despite catching well over 100 walleyes there in the last few weeks.  The last week or so was pretty strange...at least two nights either me or my friend caught more than 10 fish while the other guy, fishing less than 15 yards away, caught very few.  Why the fish can be loaded in one spot and non-existent a few feet away, and then switch the next night so the "hot" house goes cold, is a mystery to this fisherman. Maybe they swim counter-clockwise around the lake one night and then turn around and swim clockwise the next? :)  

3 people like this

Stick in mud, any sightings of perch in your area at all this winter?  Just curious, if there are any year classes making it to adulthood.

Had a wheelhouse rented out of Isle Saturday through Monday AM.  Went several places in search of shiners, they were hard to come by, so had a mix of suckers, rainbows and fatheads.

Was set up in 28' of water. 3 eye's total (2 in the 16" range and a 21.5").  Two came on rattle reel with a rainbow and plain hook, the other came on a bobber - same set-up.  Caught a few perch jigging.  

Everything came on a whole minnow.  Nothing on heads, maggots, waxies etc.

Popped a bunch of holes in shallower water and got nothing on tip-ups or hole hopping.  Planned to go east of The Graveyard, but I thought I should get home before the ice storm hit. 

On 1/17/2017 at 1:11 PM, ANYFISH2 said:

Stick in mud, any sightings of perch in your area at all this winter?  Just curious, if there are any year classes making it to adulthood.

Sadly, no.  I've only heard of one being caught, too.  I suspect the lack of perch is part of the reason why the fish are biting so well.  I have seen TONS of perch in the southern bays, though, while tip-up fishing for pike and 'eyes, so there are some around.  Just haven't seen any up by Garrison. 

Head to Isle Bay and you will find more perch than you could ever hope for. Granted about 95% of them are all about 4-6 inches.

Fished the SE side from 10:30-2pm caught one small eye...Went up to the north side and met up with my buddy in his castle...Fished from 330pm-10am today caught 5 eyes(25,24,23,16,15) all from 11pm-1am... We were marking a ton of fish, but nothing I put down would get them to bite....Very frustrating.

Rocky Reef was a tough bite today. I hear the overnight wheelhouse crowd did poorly, too. They caught some size, but numbers were way down. 

I ended up with 7- 17" walleyes and worked very hard to get them. Hole-hopped the entire time (8 hours) and drilled about 75 holes with one StrikeMaster Lithium Lazer battery, so I'm impressed with that. 

Edited by BassThumb.

Out of lybacks in 25ft 3 fish at 15" since yesterday at 3pm all on dead stick. 

Nice photo, BT.  How have you done on the walleyes with the new lure? 

Mille Lacs eyes love the slab rap.  They usually destroy it to, it's really a fun bite.

IMG_20161230_164601758.jpg

2 people like this

9 hours ago, Stick in Mud said:

Nice photo, BT.  How have you done on the walleyes with the new lure? 

Slab Raps are a lot of fun to fish, but you'll spook some fish with them, even with the most subtle jiggle. Still, lots of walleyes come take a look, so you'll get an idea of what's nearby.

2 people like this

Thanks for the responses, guys.  For whatever reason I don't spend much time trying the more aggressive presentations in the winter.  I might have to give them a try this weekend. 

1 person likes this

I guess I've spooked as many as I've caught with it..  The fish that do bite really eat it good tho..

2 people like this

After not fishing last weekend (gotta see the wife once in a while, alas), it was nice to get back to the Pond early yesterday afternoon.  Unfortunately, I got skunked. What makes matters worse, though...and much, much worse at that...is that my dad whacked them.  So not only did I catch zero fish, but my dad lost track somewhere near 12 or thereabouts.  Ouch.  :)

1 person likes this

@Stick in Mud

old guys rule   :)

Old guys drool! 

1 person likes this

I have some jigs ;) 

Has anyone tried for pike on tip ups yet?  Hoping to give it a shot this coming weekend, but the reports I've heard are they have been far and few between for pike. 

Last few winters, I've caught more Walleyes on tipups, than Pike.  I fish the west side of the lake, and it has stunk.

I'm glad the DNR, using robust scientific data, figured out that the Pike were the culprit in the decline of the lake (sarcasm).