Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Stick in Mud

They're biting!

fowldreams

Well this Mille Lacs rookie didnt fair well on our first trip Saturday . Took my 6 year old son out of the north end and headed to the mud. Set-up on deeper edge in 29ft. Marked fish right away. No takers for a while. Then finally got one to follow up and hit. It was a tullibee. Still exciting but not what we were hoping for. Caught 3 more tulibees before deciding to move . Spot two had lookers but no takers at all. Tried lots of different jigs and bait combos. No walleyes for us out of that big lake yet. Well, thats fishing. Hoping to maybe try again next weekend.  I want him to hook into those fish we see pictures of. Good luck to all.

Stick in Mud

I got skunked on Saturday morning, too. Keep in touch the next time you head up there, and I'll share some specifics via PM if I'm on them.  

bowhuntermitch
On 12/30/2016 at 10:04 PM, bowhuntermitch said:
Fishing out on Shaws Reef as I type. 14-15" of ice out of Wharfs. Arrived at 5. In 18-19 FOW. Very sandy bottom with no structure from what the camera showed. 2 14-16" eyes, 1 20"ish I lost at the hole due to my Marcum cord, and one 25" on the rattle reel. I'm happy with the trip so far!

Ended up doing fairly Friday night through Saturday. Shaws Reef, out of Wharfs. Biggest was a 24-25" off the rattle reel. Saw TONS of fish on the camera, but only 1/10 out bite. Others wanted nothing to do with my bait. 

Caught 15 or so Saturday morning, until they completly shut off @ 9am. The plow trucks really seems to have an effect on the fish. 

Posted on: Today 22:58:08

drscholl14

Went up for a day trip yesterday.  Got there around 10 and stayed til 7.  From everyone I talked to Saturday was the good day of the weekend.  Went out of the public access at Garrison and hit the reef straight out from there.  It was slow.  The few fish we marked were quite aggressive which was nice.  Caught 5 total eyes 4 in the 16-18 inch range and one 9 incher.  I missed two decent feeling fish but had them come off.  When I reeled up my lure both times one of the hooks on my trebles had broken off.  Both brand new VMC spoons.  Not the first time I've had that happen.  Love the action on their spoons but their hooks have been killing me.  Fun to get up there even though it was a little slow.

bassfshin24

Made it out Sunday late afternoon and setup on a small rock hump on the NE side. Ended up with only two dinks and missed a couple. Decided to go out of Red Door and head to the flats yesterday. Only got to fish until about 12:30 and me and a buddy ended up with 5. The biggest was a 24" and a 23". The 24" crushed a rippin rap and the 23" came on a tip-up an shiner. Marked fish most of the morning and a lot of the of the marks were good ones that would come up and look at it and then disappear. Wish I would have had more time out there to get a few more. Had another buddy that went out with us as well and hit different flats than us. He did well and caught over 20 fish but most were dinks. He did get one at 23"

Stick in Mud

Good news you guys got them on Saturday....I didn't even mark a fish.  Sometimes they're there, sometimes not, I suppose.  

Thanks for the reports, guys. I won't be up until later this week, but I'll make sure to post any reports or updates as soon as I can.  

T Hame

Was out in Wahkon bay Saturday.  I had the family with and with the ice reports it was my only option to bring our wheelhouse.  It was about as I expected...Kids caught a bunch of tiny perch throughout the day but no eyes.  Did end up with a few fish over night, biggest being a nice 25".  

Nothing beats spending time in a small area like that with my kids.  Don't get the chance to unplug that much with them.  Going to head back up this weekend out of Mac's twin bay.  New to this end of the lake but we'll see what happens.  Good luck all!

STMA_I_HUNTER

Did the lake get any snow in the last few days or just rain?

Only have a sled and not sure if its bare ice or enough snow to run on?

Thanks in advance.

seifjr

When we came off the lake this past Monday night, there was finally enough snow on the lake to keep the sleds cool.  It was blowing pretty hard and I'm not if it changed to rain sleet after we left the lake around 7 p.m. There was plenty of snow when we left.

Fisherman45

How is it looking for being able to drive out to the flats from the north end? My wheeler is down and I have no snowmobile.

Bass Thumb

I'll be up there tomorrow on Garrison Reef with a few pounds of propane and a few IPAs. It's gonna be cold fishing from noon until 8pm. Time to relax before school begins on Monday. 

My New Years Day trip on the far north side was quite confusing. Pounded at least 50 holes in 4 different spots and went about 5 hours and a mile worth of dragging before marking a fish. Then 3pm rolled around and all hell broke loose. I couldn't keep up with them. Forget about keeping two lines down. It was like an army of barely-under-slot walleyes moved in for about 90 minutes. I don't know if I found them through hard work or if they found me by coincidence. 

• Like 1

busse3775
18 hours ago, Fisherman45 said:

How is it looking for being able to drive out to the flats from the north end? My wheeler is down and I have no snowmobile.

I am wondering the same thing. I am heading there the weekend of the 14th and wondering if I can just drive my Jeep out to the flats from the North end or if I have to bring my wheeler with.

guitarcher
7 hours ago, BassThumb. said:

I'll be up there tomorrow on Garrison Reef with a few pounds of propane and a few IPAs. It's gonna be cold fishing from noon until 8pm. Time to relax before school begins on Monday. 

My New Years Day trip on the far north side was quite confusing. Pounded at least 50 holes in 4 different spots and went about 5 hours and a mile worth of dragging before marking a fish. Then 3pm rolled around and all hell broke loose. I couldn't keep up with them. Forget about keeping two lines down. It was like an army of barely-under-slot walleyes moved in for about 90 minutes. I don't know if I found them through hard work or if they found me by coincidence. 

I was out last Thursday (windy, windy and windy) and ran into the same thing starting about 4:45pm.

Caught 8 and missed two in about an hour. Smallest was 14.5' and biggest was 18".

I did catch about 50 perch from 8am-4pm though - kept 9 over 10"

Bass Thumb

I was out today, and I drove out. The ice is thick, but be mindful of the cracks and heaves. Lots of half-ton trucks and a pretty steady train of wheelhouses coming out.

Fishing was poor, but that's no surprise given the 50-degree drop in temperature over the last week. 1 fish in 5 hours. Actually, only 1 mark that was likely a walleye. It was my best walleye through the ice, 27" and obese. Nailed a plus-sized shiner, pulling my bobber underwater so fast it made a sound. Totally worth the trip.

• Like 2

tfin

I went out on the east side a little south of doe island.  Started the morning in 16 fow with 4 walleye and a few misses before 10 am.  Moved out to 23 fow and only 1 walleye and a small perch by 4:45 pm.  Caught them on red hook and fat head or a perch colored jigging wrap tipped with a head.  15 to 20 inches of ice.  The fish were 11, 2 (16), 2 (17.5).  Put the camera down and it looked like every rock was covered with zebra muscles but I could be mistaking.  They were definitely covered with something though.

Stick in Mud

Tale of two nights for us.  Last night  with 2 guys we got almost 20.  Tonight, with three guys fishing, we got only 6. Same exact spot.  Biggest at 26''.  No keepers. 

• Like 1

STMA_I_HUNTER

So I started my Saturday out on Sherman's on the edge of one of the fingers in 27ft. Was not fast and furious by any means but I was marking fish and end up catching 4. Left for the south end on sled and hit the deep gravel around 2:30ish.

Had a couple friends who were out on the gravel, and when I got there they were in the mosh pit of houses on top of a hump so I set up about 50 yards away from anyone in 30-32 ft, I needless to say had a great afternoon while the others struggled to catch any fish.........IMO pays to keep away from the crowds.

• Like 3

kaparzo

Fished the east side between Big Point and Shaw's Reef Friday afternoon through Saturday night. We base camped and then moved around in the portable. Caught 1 waldo on Friday afternoon. Nothing else until a flurry of 4 on Saturday starting at sunset on the side of a reef in 13'. Missed 3 more within the same 60 minutes. All fish were 12-19.5".  My buddy that was actively jigging a shiner with a rainbow macho minnow had more action than the other three of us combined.  We had 15-17" of ice but there were a few cracks going (big point & towards two mile).  Had a visit from the local CO. They are knocking on the door before the sled is off. No issues. He had the same 'slow' report as the bait shop and resort. 

Workstoomuch

Fished Friday afternoon and evening on the first break in the northwest corner. 2 of us caught 10 walleye. 1-27in, 2-25in, and others between 15 and 21. Overall a good night. Saturday on the other hand was not so good. Moved around a bit, caught 1 during day just off Garrison Reef. Spent the Saturday night on the ice. Slow evening, small flurry about midnight, 3 15-17in walleye and a pout just to make things interesting. Sunday morning at sunup caught a  couple including another 27in. Headed to south end gravel late Sunday morning and afternoon. Slow with 2 fish. Overall slow with some action and nice fish to break it up. Still better than sitting at home.

• Like 1

Stick in Mud

Great reports, guys.

Our night on Saturday was pretty slow, too.  We did have steady-ish action after dark, with about a fish per hour on average through about 1:00 a.m., when it shut down until a rattle reel woke us up at about 7:30.   We had our best luck on big shiners last weekend. 

I'll be back up tomorrow.  Wish me luck. :)

Stick in Mud

Got up to the house a little late yesterday...the roads on the way up were pretty bad, with multiple cars in the ditch.  We didn't get fishing until almost 4:00, and ended up getting seven before going to bed.  Big shiners seemed to be the ticket on the rattle reels.

Overnight, a miracle happened....we caught a rock bass!  I cannot remember catching one through the ice on this lake, so I think it's a first for me.  One walleye and two eel pout were the other rattles we heard. 

Sunrise was skunk city.  Nary a bite or even a mark on the Vex. 

Beaver15

Hello guys.  What time have the fish started become active / biting in the morning, from what guys have seen so far this winter? 

Just wondering how much of a difference it makes if a guy is out there and set up before first light.  

Probably heading out on Saturday.  Sounds like shiners have produced the best from most of the reports.  

STMA_I_HUNTER

My son and I were up Wednesday afternoon and fished the deep gravel on the south in about 28ft and caught 3 (finally 1 slot fish) missed a couple but did not mark many fish, it was slow.

Was back up yesterday and started out on the mud, tried a few spots along the edges and only marked 6 or so fish with not bites. My fingers are sore from changing lures and minnows(rainbows).

Moved back to the deep gravel around 1:30 and sat till 6:00 with 7 fish caught but I marked tons of fish and again getting bit was a chore, they did not like one thing over another or jigging vs dead sticking, It was frustrating because they would come up hard off the bottom and just would not finish.

Either way it was an absolutely beautiful day on the ice regardless of catching fish or not.

Good luck fishing!

Edited by STMA_I_HUNTER

Stick in Mud
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:23 AM, Beaver15 said:

Hello guys.  What time have the fish started become active / biting in the morning, from what guys have seen so far this winter? 

Just wondering how much of a difference it makes if a guy is out there and set up before first light.  

Probably heading out on Saturday.  Sounds like shiners have produced the best from most of the reports.  

Tough to say, as it'll change from day to day, but generally speaking I usually start fishing about an hour before sunrise until an hour or so afterwards.