• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spear season '16-'17

Neighbor_guy

As spear fisherman we tend to be some of the first guys on any given body of water. Please take a minute or two to think over what you are doing out there. Much of the lakes in the area were open water a week ago. With the fresh dusting or in some cases 6" of snow on top it will hide a lot of the bad spots. Tell someone where you are going and have a cell phone if you venture out alone. And always properly mark your holes. IMG_4323.JPG

A hand full of small branches is all it takes. Also, for those who don't spear, please teach your kids to keep away from the sticks or bows in the ice as they likely mark a hole like this one. An unmarked or unfrozen spear hole can cause a lot of problems and pose risks to people and machinery. 

And please pick up after yourself. Leave the trash fields and garbage piles to the guys fishing in the shanty towns. We need to police our own and make sure that other than some sticks in the ice we leave nothing behind. 

Good luck this season. 

• Thumbs Up 4

yes to many folks leave their blocks of ice on the surface so break them up or push them back into the hole always, along with marking them.  just like leaving the lake cleaned than when you got there.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well I am searching for a spear. My grandma is checking for my grandpas I hope she finds it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well I am searching for a spear. My grandma is checking for my grandpas I hope she finds it. 

I hope you find it. Post pics if you do please.

• Thumbs Up 2

Moose if you need a spear send me a pm. I have a spare that you can use to get you started until you find one you like for long term.

A family spear has a lot of value. It will turn up.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Neighbor_guy said:

Moose if you need a spear send me a pm. I have a spare that you can use to get you started until you find one you like for long term.

A family spear has a lot of value. It will turn up.

I could help too.  and I agree with Ng.

• Thumbs Up 2

Has anyone here been out and cut a hole? Work and weather have kept me away, but the ice is calling. 

Hoping to Friday then I have a week and a half off work and the 10 day forecast looks good so hopefully that holds and we don't have this sub zero for a little while

I plan to pull the hard side house out of the back yard and up to the garage make sure it's ready for ice. I went through it last weekend and there were no critters living in there and no new holes in the walls. 

The 949i is still in the rafters. I did buy the materials to finish repairing the floor and put the carpet on. The season is upon us, but I find myself dragging my feet. Can't seem to find the excitement yet. 

IMG_4384.JPG

this was sent sent to me today. There is fishing to be had. Wish I was out there instead of driving this desk today. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I got out on Wednesday very slow. A wet slushy mess by end of day I had water above the wood floor of the quickfish I did manage to get on pickler about 18 inches and saw a little guy 10 12 inches thats it no bait fish. At least I got out hopefully this weather melts slush so lake can freeze only 6 inches of ice.

Mwal

• Thumbs Up 1

I checked some ice today in the west metro and I am planning to go out in the morning.  Just hoping for some action for the first time out on the ice.  Good luck if anyone else gets out, and be safe.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, bowhunt said:

I checked some ice today in the west metro and I am planning to go out in the morning.  Just hoping for some action for the first time out on the ice.  Good luck if anyone else gets out, and be safe.

Look forward to your report.

I ended up seeing fish all morning but just little ones.  I actually had up to 3 fish in the hole at the same time.  I only saw one worth spearing but let it go.  It was a good first day on the ice and I had fun messing with all the little ones.

• Thumbs Up 4

I took advantage of the above freezing temps and sprayed the inside of my new spear house.  The paint is still wet in pic so shiny but man is it dark inside.

IMG_2948.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

I took advantage of the above freezing temps and sprayed the inside of my new spear house.  The paint is still wet in pic so shiny but man is it dark inside.

IMG_2948.JPG

Nice. Welcome to the site!

• Thumbs Up 3