• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Access

New to the area Breezy area. Could anyone help me out with where I can get on the lake during first ice? No 4 wheeler, just on foot. 

Do any resorts allow traffic off their shore?

there are 3 from the dnr lake finder website http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lake.html?id=18030800 I think there is another one that is off of 118 on the south side of the lake and when I was over there last(2 or3 years ago) there was a sign that said winter access only but not sure.  I have always gone out of breezy point resort but ask here is the website http://breezypointresort.com/ 

15 hours ago, kentfast said:

New to the area Breezy area. Could anyone help me out with where I can get on the lake during first ice? No 4 wheeler, just on foot. 

Do any resorts allow traffic off their shore?

There is an access you can use right at breezy point it is kind of by the marina  (docksider bar and grill)     I would say this is your best best early ice on foot you can fish the bay or hop over the sand bar onto the main lake if the ice is good from there it is easy walk to good fishing spots.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
47 minutes ago, ZachD said:

There is an access you can use right at breezy point it is kind of by the marina  (docksider bar and grill)     I would say this is your best best early ice on foot you can fish the bay or hop over the sand bar onto the main lake if the ice is good from there it is easy walk to good fishing spots.

For walk on this time of the year to get to some fish able water this maybe your best bet. Walking in from Halverson Bay would be a bit of a trek. It's going to be a bit of a walk no matter which one you take. 

There is a public access for ice fishing only, its not open in summer, that is off of 118 on the south side of the lake. I have use it for ice fishing many of times , and you can walk out  to ok fishing from access.

Edited by Jighead4914

It's going to be after the 1st of the year and X-Mas before I get to see the ice this year. :(

Edited by leech~~

Thanks guys.

I've opted to go elsewhere thus far. That 118 access is the only plausable access for being on foot. May give it a shot this week. 

got a couple this morning the other side of the peninsula if you are walking out from the breezy access

21 fow

only keepers could manage mixed in with 2 smaller ones a handful of small sunnies and a whitefish

night before was fishing the first break same area 16fow 2 walleyes

day before afternoon tipup fishing 3 bass 2 northern

8-9 inches of ice in the spot I was at

they plowed the access road from breezy across the bay to the main lake

seems like four-wheelers and snowmobiles is the way to go for now still.

WP_20161223_08_41_49_Pro.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the report. Hope to get up there in a few weeks after the 1st. Anyone heading out passed Gooseberry on sleds yet? See any ridges out there? This year may be bad for ice ridges with all this back and forth weather. :(

we opted to not bring our sleds up which was a mistake. Cant tell you what the conditions are out that far but I can tell you if I would have brought my sled I would have been fishing around the island.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't measure in the bay there if that is what you are looking for but Christmas weekend

I found around 8-9 inches where the red is

From the access at Breezy across the bay to the main lake they did plow a wide road with a four wheeler

hope that helps

pel.png

10 hours ago, ZachD said:

I didn't measure in the bay there if that is what you are looking for but Christmas weekend

I found around 8-9 inches where the red is

From the access at Breezy across the bay to the main lake they did plow a wide road with a four wheeler

hope that helps

pel.png

What is this map off of or from? Like the detail.

That  from the navionics web app 

Go on your computer and look at it. I believe I changed it to sonar chart there should be a button in the lower left f the map to switch between normal and sonar I always scout my locations on it then plug them into my farm in before going out much easier to select spots on the big map rather than my farm in with the lake chip

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ZachD said:

That  from the navionics web app 

Go on your computer and look at it. I believe I changed it to sonar chart there should be a button in the lower left f the map to switch between normal and sonar I always scout my locations on it then plug them into my farm in before going out much easier to select spots on the big map rather than my farm in with the lake chip

Looked up a few of my marked spots on my GPS. Man I wish LakeMaster and Navionics saw the world as the same!!!!!! :angry:

11 hours ago, CW03 said:

Yes ZachD. I should have been more creative!

No its a good name just was wondering! You still in? My official ets date is in 3 days

And haha leach I know I like the sonar charts a lot better I just wish I could put them on my garmin handheld

• Thumbs Up 1

I hit pelican today and went off the SW access and the ice was 9 to 10 in.  Ended up with 2 walleyes (18 and 11in) I was set up on the drop off just out side the bay of the access in about 16 FOW with my tip up in 25 ft got all fish in the house but did have the tip up go off 3 times but no luck getting them.  I did look towards the north and it look like there might be a small ice heave but to far to tell 

Edited by goldenbobby
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ZachD said:

No its a good name just was wondering! You still in? My official ets date is in 3 days

And haha leach I know I like the sonar charts a lot better I just wish I could put them on my garmin handheld

what kind of garmin handheld do you have I have the etrex 20x with the lake vu HD lake map chip and for what I can tell it is very accurate well it was on pelican 

I have  the etrex 20 

Looks good They must have came out with that when they took away lakemaster from garmin? If it was around when I bought my gps I am sorry I didn't buy it

they must have I am used to lakemaster and when I bought my garmin my plan was just to use for my atv.  When I went searching for lakemaster chip for it and couldn't find any and this was my only option.  I got mine from reed sporting goods for $99 I think they retail for 130.  I don't know if you have seen the amount of lakes they have on it but when I have searched they have some lakes are WAY BACK in the woods that you could only access from a wheeler or a snowmobile  http://lakes.garmin.com/ 

8 hours ago, CW03 said:

Went out of Breezy Point yesterday morning. Measured 13" of ice. 

Thanks for the heads up. After this next cold week of below temps I may have to give it a try next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on ice conditions, ridges, snow depth?  I haven't been up since before Christmas, will be heading out this weekend.  I'm planning on getting my wheelhouse out, would prefer to pull it with the pickup...hopefully that's possible now with the cold weather recently.

14 minutes ago, kentfast said:

Yup, guys pulling large wheelhouses all over now. I've had 15-16" ice and snow depth isn't an issue

Thanks for the report will be up Sat & Sun with a sled and porty. Any bare ice spots, or can I leave the cleats at home?

Just heard some guy died going through the ice on a sled in Wis, always makes you think twice about the ice. :(

Edited by leech~~

Going to be another cold weekend.

Definitely leave the cleats at home. Lakes are blanketed with several inches