• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Reports

Dragon Fish ll

Well so far ive seen one small lake over here in Oakdale completely locked up since Wed. evan with the warm weather and winds we had the day before. Across the road other lake wide open.  Anyone else see anything starting to ice over yet?

Silver lake in New Brighton is iced over. I'm going to count one week before checking thickness on my early ice spots. Could be fishing next Friday if all goes well.

Lake Marion is completely iced over. Hopefully we won't get much snow and be fishing soon.

Edited by icepike 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well from what I saw yesterday I could wet a line thru the ice today:eek: I think knot. im going to give it a week for myself personaly. but on my way to work at 3pm yesterday I looked over at the lake I mentioned was iced over since Wed. and seen two groups of 2 out in the middle of the lake ice shelters and all and 2 of them weren't that far from the aerator out there.  I just hope everyone had a good and safe day out there and no one found anything out the hard way. At best that lake caped off Tuesday night. But I predict by next weekend there will be many places to ice fish and some evan before.  Three hard strikes with the Spud Bar followed by the foot :grin: :2c:

• Thumbs Up 1

1-2" in most lakes under 100 acres with moderate depth in the north metro. Smaller lakes likely have more. 

Fingers crossed the snow misses us 

• Thumbs Up 1

Battle Creek Lake has 4 1/2 inches of good ice. I fished there today. Missed a pike on a tip up, got one on a rod and bobber.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two guys out on Crystal lake today. 

It looks like the majority of the snow on the lake's I stop by have turned into slush and with this cold front coming by next weekend should be more than good to walk out. If it keeps going this way may be driving on the ice before you know it. I'll be very interested in seeing how much ice there will be by next weekend. Any predictions? 

Well today being Saturday im guessing a few of us will be checking ice thickness today. I know im going to go outside and punch a couple just to test out my new Micro water cam and post what I see for thickness. Anybody else that goes out today please let us know what you find. :D

Found 5+ inches yesterday but there was slush so bad i couldnt get the icehouse more than a stones throw from shore. 

12/20/2016 - Bush lake in Bloomington had 5" of nice clear ice, 1-2 inches on top that was "cloudy" ice (or snow possibly). All said and done was around 7" from topside to bottom lip. Not sure what the "cloudy" stuff (or snow) on top does in terms of adding/subtracting to the thickness and safety.

I popped in line there last night and saw 4-5 guys on the ice and dozens of holes already scattered throughout one of the bays so people have been fishing there. Didn't seem like the bite was very good (but I went there more to test ice than anything).

Had 4" on Calhoun this afternoon. Only ventured about 50yds out. 3 guys on the ice, no fish. 

Edited by Mrkeb

I was out on a lake in Chanhassen. 

Started off measuring 7 to 8 inches of clear ice with another 3 to 4 inches cloudy ice but the further out I went the less ice I saw down to maybe 3 inches of clear ice with another 2 to 3 of cloudy ice. Be safe out there. 

Around six inches of small ice & far too many people on a small south metro lake today. 

I know people will do what they will do but please, don't take a lot of bigger fish out of these little bodies of water!

15 hours ago, Maximum12 said:

Around six inches of small ice & far too many people on a small south metro lake today. 

I know people will do what they will do but please, don't take a lot of bigger fish out of these little bodies of water!

One of my best "Secret" lakes has been killed already this year.  Was one of the best panfish lakes in the north metro for size and quantity.  Haven't had a good day out there in two weeks when it used to be every time out was nonstop.

I agree, 6-7 inches on Upper Prior as of 1/1/2017.  I fished for a few hours with a buddy at "prime time" and we did not hardly see a thing swim by.  Caught one perch.  Other folks we talked to had a slow day in that area too.

I was out on a small bay on Minnetonka yesterday morning and had about 8" of ice. Fishing for sunnies and got quite a few, but they were REALLY hitting light. I was using a very tiny jig and a thin wire spring bobber; I had to really watch that wire, sometimes it would move slightly down, sometimes slightly up.