• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

10 hours ago, Fishing Frenzy said:

Yeah I've been hearing from people that it's really slow fishing out there.

It sucks. What once was a profound fishery has now turned for the worst. To many people fished it over the last few winters. 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, tworiversman said:

It sucks. What once was a profound fishery has now turned for the worst. To many people fished it over the last few winters. 

Yeah there's been a ton of people been out there the last two summers as well.  Such a small lake no way it can keep up with all that fishing pressure. Sure when they were biting people we're going out there every day and keeping their limit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea I don't like cleaning fish to much but it was nice to go someplace close and catch some. If I have fish to eat I'd rather not clean more..

4 hours ago, Fishing Frenzy said:

Yeah there's been a ton of people been out there the last two summers as well.  Such a small lake no way it can keep up with all that fishing pressure. Sure when they were biting people we're going out there every day and keeping their limit.

I was out there over the summer and I caught 10 Nice sunfish. Picked threw little ones to get ones 7+ inches in length to fry. I noticed that a guy who had a cabin on the lake would catch his 20 go in and come back out 10 minutes later and catch 20 more. The bite didn't last long. I went back a week later and it was dead. I fished a lot of spots and only got a few bass. That lake is full of nice bass. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, tworiversman said:

I was out there over the summer and I caught 10 Nice sunfish. Picked threw little ones to get ones 7+ inches in length to fry. I noticed that a guy who had a cabin on the lake would catch his 20 go in and come back out 10 minutes later and catch 20 more. The bite didn't last long. I went back a week later and it was dead. I fished a lot of spots and only got a few bass. That lake is full of nice bass. 

Yeah not surprising. Don't get what you do with that many fish anyway. I get keeping them once in a while for a meal. Then people wonder where all the fish are. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Fished big lake on Sunday.  Surprised how many people where out.  3 inches is all I found.  Made it out to big island on Cedar Island last night.  3 1/2" was the thickest.  Be safe!

10 hours ago, tworiversman said:

The "bucket brigades" are pounding the piss out of it. It's really not that big of a lake.

Last year in early March, as the ice was dwindling by the day, the fishing was pretty good out there. I work nights at the hospital and have all day to fish. I squeeze in naps here and there. I was clobbering those active bluegills and crappies day after day for two straight weeks. I think I went 10 straight days to finish off the season. Pretty good fishing, with the ice flexing under our feet and water pushing up through the holes as we walked.

There was an older fella out there, nice as can be, who wore a blue Clam suit and big, awkward white boots. Sight-fished on his knees, holding the line between his fingers; didn't use the rod or reel. He was out there everyday with us. The only difference was, we were fishing C&R mostly, and he was icing all the eater-sized fish. He'd get his limit, and then leave. Be back the next day with an empty bucket. Over the course of those two weeks, he took multiple 5-gallon buckets worth of 7-9" sunnies and 9-10" crappies. He was filleting the fish and giving them away. I asked him. Which is legal. He said he just liked catching fish and did not care about the free meals. I thought to myself, "yeah, that's why I'm out here too. That's why I flip them back down the hole!" 

• Thumbs Up 2

Went out to Julia today, with only minimal success. Few small crappies. Plenty of looker, few takers. Fish are finicky right now. 

The ice was 4.75" off the point and 3-4" and really slushy near the community hole close to the channel to Briggs. There was about a 200-yard-long, 2-yard-wide patch of wet-looking ice down there, going east-west, perpendicular to the channel. Almost like the beginning of a heave, but not quite. Don't understand it. 

That stretch of the lake is not safe, despite the finger-numbing temps. My boots were sinking into the ice. There was even a guy out there with his snowmobile. He went right over that slush. I hope he doesn't think I'm going swimming after him if he goes in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BassThumb. said:

The "bucket brigades" are pounding the piss out of it. It's really not that big of a lake.

Last year in early March, as the ice was dwindling by the day, the fishing was pretty good out there. I work nights at the hospital and have all day to fish. I squeeze in naps here and there. I was clobbering those active bluegills and crappies day after day for two straight weeks. I think I went 10 straight days to finish off the season. Pretty good fishing, with the ice flexing under our feet and water pushing up through the holes as we walked.

There was an older fella out there, nice as can be, who wore a blue Clam suit and big, awkward white boots. Sight-fished on his knees, holding the line between his fingers; didn't use the rod or reel. He was out there everyday with us. The only difference was, we were fishing C&R mostly, and he was icing all the eater-sized fish. He'd get his limit, and then leave. Be back the next day with an empty bucket. Over the course of those two weeks, he took multiple 5-gallon buckets worth of 7-9" sunnies and 9-10" crappies. He was filleting the fish and giving them away. I asked him. Which is legal. He said he just liked catching fish and did not care about the free meals. I thought to myself, "yeah, that's why I'm out here too. That's why I flip them back down the hole!" 

Bunny boots

Thanks for all the ice reports as I have not had chance to get out yet. It sounds like a good base of ice, 

hope the upcoming snow isn't too much. 

16 hours ago, Genofish said:

Thanks for all the ice reports as I have not had chance to get out yet. It sounds like a good base of ice, 

hope the upcoming snow isn't too much. 

Hope we don't get near as much as is forcast. It would make travel on the ice pretty tough unless you have a sled. Im gonna try for a bit this morning before the snow gets too heavy

• Thumbs Up 2

Has anyone been out to pelican lake in Monticello lately? Haven't fished since the freeze out. Was wondering if it would ever produce the pig sunfish it had years back.

On 12/14/2016 at 2:09 AM, matt320 said:

Any reports on Koronis? 

Heard from someone I know that it was 4 inches out there, not sure what day he checked though.

Ice Report: Grand Lake 5 1/2 to 6 inches in front of the access out a ways.

Edited by Fishing Frenzy

6" of solid, clear ice on Beaver Lake. Popped about 45 holes in three sections of the lake, including over by the creek, and it was all uniform. 

Hit up one of the smaller lkes in the rea yesterday. Was looking for a few gills for the frying pan.  Started the search along some nice green weeds in the 8-10 ft range. Drilled a ton of holes inside and outside the standing weed cover. I have alwys had my best luck on the larger gills right up in the weeds on this lake. Today they were not home :-(  Did manage to find a few somewht respectable fish out a little deeper between the weeds and the deeper lake basin. Small tungsten jigs and Impylse mayflies got most of my better ones. The J nd S Icemites also scored a few fish. 

I think there was cose to 6inches were I was, had some water pushing up from the weight of the snow....

Will be heading out somewhere this morning, not sure where yet though :-)

20161216_100337.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/16/2016 at 4:36 PM, BassThumb. said:

6" of solid, clear ice on Beaver Lake. Popped about 45 holes in three sections of the lake, including over by the creek, and it was all uniform. 

Were you the Solo guy out there Friday Afternoon? I was out with another guy on Friday. Blue and Red coats.

16 minutes ago, LucasMN said:

Were you the Solo guy out there Friday Afternoon? I was out with another guy on Friday. Blue and Red coats.

I was out there earlier that week, couldn't mark much of anything but didn't try over by the creek. Either of you have any luck getting fish to bite? 

1 hour ago, kunzi26 said:

I was out there earlier that week, couldn't mark much of anything but didn't try over by the creek. Either of you have any luck getting fish to bite? 

3 small northerns on Tip Ups. Marked some fish but could not get them to bite, the behavior of them made me suspect little perch. They would come in quick and leave quick. 

Found a couple spots with 4" on Friday but mostly 5-6" of ice, water was coming up the holes though. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:44 PM, Fishing Frenzy said:

Heard from someone I know that it was 4 inches out there, not sure what day he checked though.

Ice Report: Grand Lake 5 1/2 to 6 inches in front of the access out a ways.

Did you guys get much snow up there I was going to head to grand later this week?

17 minutes ago, mrklean said:

Did you guys get much snow up there I was going to head to grand later this week?

We had 3 1/2 to 4 inches of snow. Should be good to go. Should be close to 8 inches now. May be going out there tonight if I'll do I'll tell you more!

Edited by Fishing Frenzy
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, LucasMN said:

Yeah, that was me. You guys came out just as I headed out to the far side of the lake by the creek. 

The fishing was lousy. I caught only a few perch. I honestly didn't even mark a single bluegill or crappie. I even found a tall stand of perfectly healthy milfoil in 10 FOW that didn't have a single fish on it. I was surprised, because that's what I was searching for. There was nothing over by the creek. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Went out to East Gemini for some quick action tonight after work. Not much action until just after dark. Only marked smaller crappies and landed a handful of them, nothing over 10". All were pretty tight to the bottom. Ice ranged from 5"-8", only went out about 75 yrds though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, mrklean said:

Sadly didn't get to go out tonight, however I talked to a buddy of mine who went out to Grand and he guessed that there was 8 or 9 inches. He said people are driving atv's out there someone even plowed a road. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Got out for the first time this afternoon for an hour for gills. Had 10 inches on the lake I was on. Missed multiple fish didn't catch anything, not very good fishing  but really good to dust off the equipment and start the year off!

Edited by Fishing Frenzy

On 12/20/2016 at 8:45 PM, Fishing Frenzy said:

Anybody been out on Goodner lately? Thinking about heading out there on Friday.

We were out there Friday, Ice was good. Fishing was slowwww.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went out on Pearl yesterday morning and measures 18" on the way out and on the drop off. Mutliple full sizes houses out there with full size trucks parked next to them, no plowed road yet but I was out right after all the snow.