• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyes are known to travel very long distances to spawn.  Lots of tracking studies done on other bodies of water show annual spawning movements of 50 miles or more commonly being made.  That puts the entire lake well within range for any given walleye that wants to make a long spawning run.

My question is this...are there spawning grounds on the West end of the lake?  Or, are most of the walleyes - includng those found most of the year on the West end - traveling to the East end and running up into Pike Bay to spawn?  Has anyone caught West end walleyes dripping in eggs or milt early in the season?

Brian

Edited by BrianF

There are certainly areas on the West end of Vermilion that walleyes can spawn at.

Quite a few years ago walleyes were tagged at the Pike River Hatchery and some of them were caught on the West end a couple of weeks later! So walleyes will certainly travel full length of Vermilion to spawn also!

Cliff

• Wow, ❤ 1

As far as I'm aware, the two main spawning spots are the Pike River on the east end and Black Lake on the west end. That said I think that walleye are probably spawning in many different areas around the lake. IMO it's kind of fun to look for those hidden gem areas.

No never ever caught a walleye early on the West end. Go east to catch early walleye:grin:

We have not had a good slip bobber early season walleye bite in many years. Used to be able to catch them from the docks and rock points every spring. Easy fun fishing. Now we work hard for the fish we catch. West end.

Largemouth bass, sunfish, and bullheads have been caught very regularly on slip bobbers and leeches the last 15 years. I bet they also eat walleye fry. Could possibly be a part of the missing young of the year fish in the recent fall nettings. I did not hear how fall 2016 shook out.