• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017 Vermilion Ice fishing reoprts and ice conditions

I know this is an Ice Fishing thread, but I can't seem to find much information on ice condition on the lake or how the snow looks out there and on the trails. I live down in the Duluth area and was thinking about coming snowmobiling up there this next weekend. Seems the whole states in a stupid heat wave. But you guys had more snow than us before, was wondering if there's still enough to snowmobile.

9 minutes ago, 1Kurgan1 said:

I know this is an Ice Fishing thread, but I can't seem to find much information on ice condition on the lake or how the snow looks out there and on the trails. I live down in the Duluth area and was thinking about coming snowmobiling up there this next weekend. Seems the whole states in a stupid heat wave. But you guys had more snow than us before, was wondering if there's still enough to snowmobile.

My kids went out Sat, Sun.  Went from Vermilion to Myrtle lake, said the trails were bumpy, but plenty of snow.  Lake has snow, but pretty slushy.

I liked the lake vermilion and lake vermilion resort and tourism pages so got this update. 

If you went to the resort association web page you could probably get on their mailing list.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Lake-Vermilion-Area-Trails-Update-1-20-17.html?soid=1102498830363&aid=G5yKEZiNmkU

Lake Vermilion Area Trail Update, 1/20/2017
There is a total of about 22-26" on the ground. Grooming is taking place and trails are in good condition. The latest updates are below...
ARROWHEAD TRAIL
1-18-17. Local snow depth is 24-30" Base is 3-5". The entire Arrowhead is groomed and in fair to good condition except for a two-mile portion going north over a swamp from the Orr South Grant-in-Aid trail. We hope to have this last section groomed by the weekend. Please use caution when traveling these trails. Logging is ongoing on the Arrowhead Trail north of Hwy 1, north of Hoodoo Lake, and north of the Elephant Lake Rd. (Conditions reported from DNR)

BEARSKIN TRAIL
1-17-17 update: Nature has been working in our favor! We have been grooming everything regularly and conditions are very nice! The Bearskin has been groomed and is in good shape - watch for overhanging brush in some spots. The Tim Corey has NOT YET been groomed as of this update. (Conditions provided by the Cook Timberwolves Snowmobile Club) 

LAKE VERMILION AND SOUDAN UNDERGROUND MINE STATE PARKS
1-19-17. Local snow depth is 22-26" Base 3-5". Snowmobile trails in the park are groomed and open. The Alaska shaft trail is cleared of trees and open for non-motorized users. (Conditions provided by the DNR)

PUTNAM & FISHING LAKES TRAIL
1-18-17. Local snow depth is 20-24" Base 2-4" . The Putnam/Fishing Lakes Trail is groomed and in fair condition. (Conditions provided by the Minnesota DNR)

STONY SPUR
1-19-2017 update: Depth 18" Base - 2-4" Groomed - partially Condition - poor THE HIDDEN BAY portion the trail linking up to Stony Spur has been closed due to logging. Please avoid the Hidden Bay area for safety reasons. Taconite and Stony Spurs are groomed. (Conditions provided by the Ely Chamber)

TACONITE TRAIL
1-18-17. Local snow depth is 20-24" Base is 3-5". The entire Taconite from Ely to Hwy 73 is groomed and in fair to good condition, save for a small section of open water between Big Aspen and Pfeiffer Lake. This section is flagged, signed, and passable. Please use caution when traveling these trails. (Conditions reported by DNR)

TOMAHAWK TRAIL
1-19-17 Snowfall Depth 18" Base - 4-6" Trail is cleared through to the North Shore from Ely. Most of the trail is groomed; however, swamps and wetlands have not yet frozen so groomers are unable to do that portion of the trails. Trails are in fair to good condition. (Conditions provided by the Ely Chamber)
VOYAGEUR-CRANE LAKE TRAIL
1-18-17: The weather is just beautiful and so are the trails. All the trails are being groomed and the Arrowhead is back to it's normal schedule. There are still a few beaver ponds that we are not taking the groomer over but as mentioned before we are grooming up to those spots from both sides. It takes extra time but we want the trails at there best. (Conditions provided by the Voyageur Trail Society)

WOLF TRACK TRAIL
1-17-17 update: Nature has been working in our favor! We have been grooming everything regularly and conditions are very nice! The Wolf Track trail has been groomed and is in nice condition. (Conditions provided by the Cook Timberwolves Snowmobile Club)

• Thumbs Up 1

You are welcome. I'm not up there but I can pass along information and links.  The trail info seems to be updated weekly or thereabouts.

I checked the road out of McKinley yesterday and it appears that the whole road is covered with water. I do not think that it is very deep and a couple of days of this colder weather will set it up nicely again if people will give it time to freeze over solid again. Probably not like likely though!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

My brother in-law and I are planning on driving up to Vermilion to fish Saturday, 2/11.  We won't have a 4 wheeler or snowmobile, but will be driving in via a truck.

Where is the best access point to get onto the lake to target some walleyes?  Do we need to pay for access to plowed roads?

We will be driving in from Hibbing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Orange Crush 612,

McKinley Park landing out of Soudan is your best bet.

Free access.

Look for around 30+ feet of water. Set lines are working best. Pike suckers or fatheads.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Cliff,

Any tips on how to find Crappies on the West Side of the lake?  Any guides that can help for a day?

Travis

Edited by travis_td

Travis,

Welcome to FM!

Crappies are hard to find on the West side in the winter! I do not fish that end so cannot help you there. Sorry!

There are some very good guides that can help you find crappies on the West end in the summer though. If you want a few guides names just e-mail me.

Wolf Bay is the only winter crappie spot that I have fished on the West end. It used to be quite good but got hit hard a few winters ago. It may have had a come back by now though!

Cliff

5 hours ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Travis,

Welcome to FM!

Crappies are hard to find on the West side in the winter! I do not fish that end so cannot help you there. Sorry!

There are some very good guides that can help you find crappies on the West end in the summer though. If you want a few guides names just e-mail me.

Wolf Bay is the only winter crappie spot that I have fished on the West end. It used to be quite good but got hit hard a few winters ago. It may have had a come back by now though!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff!  I'll email you for a few names of guides.

Howdy FM folks,

Has anyone traveled the road out of Stuntz recently?  Wondering with the recent warmer weather if slushy and/or ice conditions have deteriorated making it more risky to drive out. 

Thanks!

Marc

Marc,

Good road out of Stuntz earlier in the week. There was also a road plowed around Seven Sisters in the direction of your Island.  Not sure how far it went though.??

Plenty of ice.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Made my final walleye ice fishing trip last weekend.  Fishing was typical for late winter fishing.  I caught 12 walleyes from Friday to Sunday; six dinks and six 14-17" eyes.  Also caught a hand full of 12-13" perch.  Saturday evening I gave a young couple a ride to the McKinley Park landing since the road conditions were getting very bad and they were having trouble pulling their fish house.  Pulled my permanent house off Sunday afternoon, and not a day too soon as I see on the web cameras.

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

What are the general ice conditions on the lake (slushy, bare ice) how is the snow in the woods now that this warm spell and rain has set in?

Skunked,

Ice and slush conditions may change greatly by tomorrow! Raining hard here right now and it is predicted to rain until about 10:00pm tonight!

Slush on the lake will probably all disappear and be replaced by water on top of the ice for a while. Going should be good for at least a couple more weeks once the water runs off.

Snow in the woods and on snowmobile trails is really taking a hit!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. It looks like I'll bring tall boots, ice crampons, and snowshoes for my walk across the lake on Friday! Who knows what I'll encounter

I will be up there next week from Austin Texas.  Can anyone comment on the lake and how safe it is after the warm up?  I thought it would be very unsafe but I saw a truck on the ice plowing an ice rink this morning on one of the web cams.   Is there still plenty of ice and is the lake in pretty good shape now that is has turned cold again?  Maybe it is in better shape then before the cold?   I grew up in the area but that was 30 + years ago so any schooling on the ice would great.

Thanks for any comments.

I was just told there is about 6" of water on the ice.  Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Most ice on the lake is still safe for travel. You just need to use a little common sense and stay away from current areas and possibly getting to close to shorelines, especially South facing ones.

Could be 6" of water on the ice in some areas all right but I found only about 3" to 4" on the ice on Tuesday. That will run off or refreeze with a couple of cooler nights and we will have very good going for at least a couple more weeks.

Cliff

1 hour ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Most ice on the lake is still safe for travel. You just need to use a little common sense and stay away from current areas and possibly getting to close to shorelines, especially South facing ones.

Could be 6" of water on the ice in some areas all right but I found only about 3" to 4" on the ice on Tuesday. That will run off or refreeze with a couple of cooler nights and we will have very good going for at least a couple more weeks.

Cliff

+1 use your mind. If an area doesn't look safe go around it chances are it's not. Like cliff said with the cooler temps at night things should heal up in a few days. Good luck!

I hear ya on the ice safety.  I am trying to plan appropriately for possibly fishing in 3-6" of standing water.

Thanks guys!

A good ice fishing suit ( ice armor, striker gear etc) or waders just put layers underneth. That's what I would do.

Just got back from checking the landing at McKinley Park.

The plowed road had some standing water on it but surrounding ice looked mostly dry!

Walked out a little ways and looks like good going for four wheelers!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2