• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017 Vermilion Ice fishing reoprts and ice conditions

In frazer bay, last week (12/29) we had a minimum of 10 inches every place we went and at most 14 inches of clear solid ice with another 1 to 5 inch layer of snow/water/ice on top. 

goalieman01 - thanks for the reply on popped eyes.  If it is just ice, there would be no extra pressure because ice is lighter than water (why it floats).  However, if you add snow on top of the ice (or people, vehicles, fish houses, etc.), this would increase the water pressure slightly.  Until you drill holes in the ice and the water pours onto the ice to equalize the water pressure on either side of the ice.

Water itself is actually densest at about 37-38 degrees. If you have a camera with a temperature reading that is normally the temp at the bottom during the winter in my experience. So the pressure would be greatest at this time of year. It gets less dense by fractions as it gets warmer so I don't know if that's the whole story. Then again fish are very sensitive to any kind of change in the water 

On 1/4/2017 at 1:49 PM, goalieman01 said:

Yes they can start to bulge even shallower than that if pulled up to quickly. The fish may have been deeper and came up only to eat and had not acclimated to even 30ft. The eyes bulging or bladder coming out of the mouth does not affect the health or edibility of the fish. 

I am curious if the pressure at 30ft deep is different between summer and winter. In my head i would think winter the pressure at 30ft is greater because of the ice on the surface but i have no evidence or proof of it. 

Physics says pressure is pretty much the same, whether the top foot or two of water is frozen or not.    Might vary a small amount depending on how you measure the 30 feet, since a foot of ice weighs less than a foot of water (or it would not float but sink).

• Thumbs Up 2

Hello Everyone,

My young son and I are looking forward to coming to Vermilion on Saturday to check on our cabin on Salo Island and to try some fishing.  

We were hoping to come out of Stuntz bay and drive to cabin and fish around the Sisters somewhere (any tips?).  We have never really hard ice fished up there but look forward to trying. 

Anyone think it it would be unsafe/unwise to drive our F150 truck to the island, or should we just take the 4 wheeler instead?  

Thanks!

Salo Island Family,

There should be a road plowed out of the Stuntz Bay Landing by now. Try the SE corner on the Eastern most Sister in the deep hole located there. The North side of that Island may also have walleyes on the 20' + flats. Tip-ups with pike suckers should work in both spots.

I have been driving my F-250 out to my house for over a week now with no problems. Bring a shovel as there a few drifts in spots!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/6/2017 at 7:13 AM, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Salo Island Family,

There should be a road plowed out of the Stuntz Bay Landing by now. Try the SE corner on the Eastern most Sister in the deep hole located there. The North side of that Island may also have walleyes on the 20' + flats. Tip-ups with pike suckers should work in both spots.

I have been driving my F-250 out to my house for over a week now with no problems. Bring a shovel as there a few drifts in spots!

Cliff

THANK YOU Cliff!  Very much appreciated.  Will post our experience and hopefully any pics!  Thanks again. 

Marc and Amy Plaisted

Fished from 10a till 4p today near the sisters in 30 FOW and just couldn't entice any fish to bite.   Oh well.  Had a blast anyways in the new pop up and enjoyed seeing some wildlife (Deer running across the lake) and my son donated an iPhone to the lake when it fell out of his coat and straight into the hole (that part wasn't so fun)  

Nice road plowed out of Stuntz bay north to Ely island and then turning west along the southern shore of Ely island.   Lots of F150's and similar trucks out and about.   Also saw some plows making new road from the stunts bay road heading east towards Raspberry island.  

Measured 13" of ice. I'd like a bit more ice than that but it was crystal clear, no real slush anywhere that we saw, and did fine. 

IMG_9129.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

Saturday and Sunday were both a very tough bite for me too! Cold front I think!

I have never dropped a cell phone in my fish house that did not find a hole to fall into! 2 or 3 of them!:cry:

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Salo Island Family - too bad about the phone; fishing holes seem to be magnets for anything dropped.  The deer you saw crossing must be between Stuntz Bay and McKinley Park.  They seem to cross there all the time to Ely Island.  Early this season there was evidence of a deer kill (likely from wolves) half way across.

• Thumbs Up 2

Got out Saturday for a few hours.  Lots of chasers that would not commit.  Not certain if they were tullies or what.  Did manage a few bites though.  Even got one for the fry pan.  Just me this weekend at the shack. Pretty cold conditions.

I was surprised at the amount of snowmobile traffic on the lake despite how cold it was for Riding.  Be back up this weekend my kids want to fish. 

IMG_1318.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey guys!

How is big bay looking for 4 wheeler travel?  Coming up for a work weekend on Birch Point but might try to get out fishing Saturday afternoon.  My typical spots are in front of moose or banana reef.  Fishing there seems to be tougher in the winter! Spring, summer, and fall I can do pretty well there but ice fishing these spots a 2-3 bite day is a solid day. However, these are walkable spots for me.  I would like to venture out and try a couple new spots.  Has anyone fished the mud trench out from the south shore or would Potato be worth a trip out to?  Around Comet island is a thought too.

Thanks!

Jon

On Monday, January 09, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Saturday and Sunday were both a very tough bite for me too! Cold front I think!

I have never dropped a cell phone in my fish house that did not find a hole to fall into! 2 or 3 of them!:cry:

Cliff

Just checking in with you Cliff...

It must have to do something with the (Flip) action on your old school phone!!

Hope things are going well up your way, I'm thinking about a possible day trip next week during the forcasted warm up.  I'll keep you posted.

As always,

Take care

Tom (BD110)

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon,

All of the areas that you mentioned will have some walleyes on them.

4-wheeler travel is starting to get real iffy but probably possible yet. Seeing mostly 4 wheel drive pick ups out there now or sleds.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Cliff!

4wheeler is ideal for me being able to go right off the end of birch point but if a truck out of McKinley makes more sense I might do that.

If I make it out to those areas ill let you know how I did!

Jon

I fished right near potato on Sunday. Been using the sled for lake travel and I had about 6 inches of snow out there. After this snow this week we're getting, like cliff said, off road travel will be getting much tougher especially all that way across big bay. The holes I ripped with the hand auger that I fished from had 16-16.5 inches of ice in them. Had a little bit of flooding was partially refroze then an inch or two of water under it. Saved one out there in 29FOW.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heading up this weekend with the old man and some buddies. Will be staying in Canfield Bay. Will report back. My question is, would it be worth spending a day throwing some flags out for pike? Couple of the guys thought it might be an option if the walleye fishing is slow. If so what type of location would we look for? We are usually able to pick off a decent amount of eyes right out in front of the bay, but could be a fun change of pace hooking into a big pile. 

Edited by schmitty3

You could try tip-ups back in Cantfield Bay behind the Island for pike.

I have also done OK for walleyes on the points on either side of Cantfield.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Cliff! Appreciate the help! Yes, we usually pick off a few walleyes in front of the light house.  I'll be sure to report back on how we do.

• Thumbs Up 1

This weather has me pretty concerned. I have a house out on vermilion and was wondering what others had planned for the weekend. Is there anyone planning on getting their houses off before the warm weather? Or is anyone confident that travel will be possible this weekend and will wait until then to move? Or even wait it out until cold weather again?

• Thumbs Up 1

I pulled my house off on Monday. Road out was starting to flood and the predicted warm spell may really flood it!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Never did report back from last weekend.  We fished Friday evening through Sunday morning.  Friday and Saturday were pretty slow, between 5 of us we had about 6 keepers nothing over 15", and were fishing pretty hard, moving a lot.  Got up early Sunday morning and had a great bite on a main lake reef, we ended up keeping a limit between the 3 of us that were out there.  The other two were pretty disappointed they slept in.  We were sitting in 28' of water and caught most of our fish on minnow heads and a rattle jig, as well as a couple slot fish on a shiner under a tip up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What ever happened to the plan for ATT to build a new cell tower on the West end?   In Bill Gruska's gravel pit as I recall.   I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

14 hours ago, delcecchi said:

What ever happened to the plan for ATT to build a new cell tower on the West end?   In Bill Gruska's gravel pit as I recall.   I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

Neighbor hasn't talked to Bill since last summer,

30 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

Neighbor hasn't talked to Bill since last summer,

I guess that means there isn't a construction crew or a tower in the pit.   :(

54 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I guess that means there isn't a construction crew or a tower in the pit.   :(

Nope.  They contract the lease/tower construction out and he hasn't been updated on when it's going to happen.

Edited by CigarGuy