• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017 Vermilion Ice fishing reoprts and ice conditions

It appears that we will have a very late start to this winters ice fishing on Vermilion.

Very little ice anywhere that I checked this morning!

Pike bay is mostly ice covered but that ice is very thin. Big Bay and other bays that I checked were still wide open.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Most bays should freeze over real quick in the next 10 days or so with the way the forecast looks.. (trying to be optimistic at least)

Edited by Alund22
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Vermilion will freeze over this Friday, December 9; could be either morning or evening.  Looks like it is setting up to be very good ice this year as the temps will be very cold for over 8 straight days with little snowfall.  I will be up Thursday-Saturday, but don't think it will be safe to walk on by then.  Well, I guess I'll finish my new semi-portable fish house in Soudan this weekend.

as of 12/5 on the West end many small bays were wide open. Water levels are very high in the local rivers, swamps and I am guessing the lake. It is information that I received from a relative last night.

Be safe

Steve

Thaks Cliff,

When things start to look a little better on your end and you feel like a little company give me a call or message me.  I'm more then ready to pay a visit!!

As always,

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

Tom,

Getting very boring with no ice!

Hope we can get out there soon!

Welcome to fish with me anytime!

Cliff

Embarrass 10-day forecast shows starting Monday it won't get above zero through the end of the 10-day (Thursday).  So should make some ice.

Making ice.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I sure am ready for that!

Snowing and blowing here this morning again! Only 10 degrees though so we should be making some ice! Probably not good ice though!

Cliff

I saw some guys out fishing Robinson lake off of 169 west of Ely yesterday when I went driving by. Didn't stop to check the ice but with all the lakes that still have open water I'm guessing it couldn't have been very thick.

Quick question, we have never come up in the winter, but it's my understanding the ice is usually questionable around Oak Narrows and Timbuktu. Does anyone know what the ice is usually like in Birch Narrows (West Hinsdale) and Smarts Bay (SW area Hinsdale) around the Retreat Lodge Area which is where our island property is.

Thanks for any insight

PSU,

I would certainly be careful in the narrows! Especially early in the winter season.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

I checked the ice at McKinley Landing and at Stuntz Bay Landing this morning.

Mckinley was iced over out as far as Birch Island and over to Echo Point.

That ice had broken up and re-frozen. Was probably not very thick either.

Stuntz looked like the main shallow bay was probably fairly safe to walk on but the narrows looked like it was barely frozen over.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Cliff! I've been very closely monitoring Pike Bay the last few weeks I'm not far from you as the crow flies right on the bay. Still sitting at 4-5 inches of ALL refroze slush. No good ice. It's flooding over pretty good with 1-3 inches water with the couple inches snow still on top. Hopefully the cold penetrates that snow and gets things going so I can run the sled right up the bay to McKinley by next weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

I took a drive past McKinley and Stuntz this afternoon again.

I did not see anything that looked like open water out there! No fishermen out there yet either!

Should be safe to at least walk out in a couple of days!:D

Cliff

Was up finishing my semi-portable fish house and monitoring the freezing of Vermilion.  McKinley Park pictures below are sequential; Thursday afternoon wide open, Friday morning open in the middle of Big Bay, Friday afternoon about ½" ice at shore possibly still open in the middle, Saturday morning 1½" at the shore and all of Big Bay appeared to be frozen.  Obviously I didn't make it out fishing, but will be back up Thursday morning and will definitely go out (walking and wearing a life jacket just to be safe until I've verified safe ice).  Be safe and good luck.

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

I may try going out of McKinley tomorrow afternoon.

Will post results if I make it back!:lol:

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

The ice was 2.5" in Niles Bay on Sat eve.  Had 4-5" on a smaller local lake today, which we fished.  She was sure making ice judging by all the cracking.  We took all the necessary safety precautions, but still a little unnerving being the first ones to venture out. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey Guys i have fish out of Timbuktu in the summer a few times. Were is the best and easiest access for ice fishing? We will have to walk out or mite have a utv with not sure. Thanks for the help.

The easiest access on the East end of the lake is either McKinley Park or Stuntz Bay. Both landing are usually plowed in the winter.

Not sure about access on the West end.

Cliff

Ice conditions South end of Pike Bay: 5-7 inches with a little flooding occurring because of the 3-6 inches of fluffy snow insulating on top.

Cliff or others: Are you aware of when the local club usually stakes the snowmobile trails on the lake?

Heading up the week between Christmas and New Year's.  Has anyone been out on Frazer or Wakemup?

Didn't have much luck last year my only time (same week), but used to that from summers.  Sounds like West side is slower than East usually anyway, correct?

S.M.

The snowmobile routes will get marked as soon as the club decides that the ice is safe enough for travel, which should be very soon!

I had 7" to 8"  of solid ice on Big Bay today. (Drove my 4-wheeler out)!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1