• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Ice reports

Horseshoe_Don

There was random ice sheets all over the lake this morning.   Should be ice covered 100% barring it being to windy.   By Friday at the latest.   Could be ice fishing next week in certain areas.

Don

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the update , Don. 

Some of the smaller bodies of water in our area capped over last night. I'm hoping there will be walkable ice somewhere by the weekend

• Thumbs Up 3

Mississippi is iced up above the 10th street dam. There is a little ice flow in the middle. 

Thinking of venturing out tomorrow with my pop up, anyone have info they can PM me for where I should head to for some reliable bites? First time out on Horseshoe so I need some info on where to look. Any places that are a bit protected from wind? Pop up doesn't hold heat well with the wind hitting it hard.

Was out on shoe fishing  for the first time tonight.    Found ice from 2-5" separated by just a few feet.   With the snow on the ice you cant see the thin ice coming.   Not all areas are safe for walking.   If you do not know the lake I would stay away til the weekend.   

Don

• Thumbs Up 3

21 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Found 6 good inches everywhere I checked.   I put out my 8x8 snap shack today.

Don

Sounds like game on! Thanks for the share

shoe is about 6"   I am driving my wheeler around with no problems.  There is also 3-5" of snow on the lake with 12 drifts scattered.   Water was about 1" deep after drilling holes.

Don

Moved the snap shack to the big island on shoe.  I set it up then came back for the evening bite.  I had to quit fishing just before sundown cause I noticed the entire house was sinking at the rate of 1/2" an hour.   I moved it to safety but there was 3" of water on the ice where the house was.

Fun night.   lol

Don

Seen you out there moving the house. I was in the portable that walked out past the island. One small walleye and a catfish on the tip-up that managed to run towards the house and tangle the rest of the lines. Fun night for all I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

We are not gaining any ice, may even be losing some.   Water on ice in many places.   Going to be a long time before you can drive on ice or use a wheel house.

Don

The ice is pretty questionable out there is areas that have the standing water. It's noticeably softer under the slush. There are cracks everywhere with water currently pushing up through them. We were over by Don's snap shack today and found some sketchy areas within 100 yards. 

19 hours ago, merc said:

Hey Smurfy, I actually agree with you on this on. What is this world coming to. Merry Christmas!!

I know............scary aint it!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

The lake is a sloppy mess tonight.   I believe this will be a good thing.   Once the temp drops, everything will freeze up with very little snow left on the ice.   I was out this morning.   Fishing was bad, caught nothing.   Going to check it tomorrow morning.   Will have to take a wheeler route along the shoreline to be safe.  ice thickness was 6-8" depending on the area.

Don

drove my smaller wheeler across shoe a few minutes ago to check on my house.   no snow on ice.   Everything is freezing up nicely.   should be 100% frozen by tomorrow with 8-10" of ice after the refreeze.   little wheeler broke through the crust 50% of the way but walking you would not have and issues.   Also drilled a hole and no water coming up anymore.    I would recommend ice cleats if you do walk since she is slicker than new ice,

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't believe the ice is going to be an issue anymore after this rain freezes solid.

How's the fishing in this area? My one trip out there yielded only cats. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Ice is solid now but very windy.  Would not want to try a collapse able 

Don

Ice is much improved. 

Tried a collapsible today.

Would not advise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

i usually stay home during hurricanes :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya i went fishing today with a pop up style house and man that was interesting.  The wind bent our anchors,pushed in our walls and blew our gear everywhere. It would even push my body across the ice now that the snow is gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

i usually stay home during hurricanes :)

I was getting bored. Crappies and cats were surprisingly active and curious.