• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Woke up Saturday morning to see Long Lake in Twig froze over.

Heard reports the East side of Fish lake had some ice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the warm temps and rain maybe I should change the title to Ice Out Watch.  :)

• Thumbs Up 3

Hopefully things will start to happen soon.  The next 15 days of overnight lows are starting to stay below freezing. Maybe a few test holes will have to happen for me next week!!

Took a ride around to look at a few lakes today in the Duluth area.  Needless to say I did not like what I found.  Mostly open water is what I came across.  Any thin ice I found will not be able to hold up to any kind of wind or heavy snow fall.  Come on colder temps...

As always,

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

• Thumbs Up 1

I went and looked at a couple smaller 'early ice" lakes in the Cloquet area on sunday afternoon and there is nothing going on, and even tho the temps are gonna get colder, the wind this week will most likely not allow any of them to cap off til at least the weekend.

Looking like its gonna be closer to Xmas before I'll be walking out for early ice this year (that's 6" for me LOL)

• Thumbs Up 1

We're making ice now. 0 degrees in Twig

I measured a spot along my shore that had opened during the warm up and found 4" of ice.

If I thought about going out to deeper water I for sure would use caution and chisel my way.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Was out of town for the weekend. Hopefully not enough snow up there to impede ice formation significantly...

Found 3" on a mission to Grand last night, was a bit surprised, 2 hits with the chisel and through......

But I see wheelers are out already................

Was on Rice Lake Reservoir today.  Fished on the north end of the main body of the lake.  I was a bit surprised to see 11 inches of ice in that location.  I hiked out from the public landing, but there was lots of ATV traffic on the lake.

squirmysgrandpa,

Thanks for the post with the info on Rice Lake.  I've been fishing the last week on Fish Lake with slighly less ice but its holding up well and starting to see more atv travel along with a number of skid and wheel houses being pulled out by atv.

Looks like a trip or two are in order for Rice lake to chase after a few Northerns and anything else that wants to show up and play!!

As always,

Take care

Tom (BD110)

Headed down to park point today, I will post an ice report later. Surprised  by the lack of posts, did something change or are people afraid to post about their spot now?

8 inches off park point, most guys are walking out but there are a couple ATVs and snowmobiles out. 

Edited by Islandlaker
Typo

I was thinking the same thing about the river, used to be tons of reports about it...I was there this morning 2 eater sized fished pretty slow

Evening bite was good. Caught six fish between 330 and 445. Fire tiger buck shot. Kept a 16 and 22 incher. The others were 12-14. Good times for sure.

I have only seen atvs and snowmobiles on the lakes I have been too: Island lake, St louis river, and the harbor.