• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clam Drill Plate

eyeguy 54

Thanks guys.  So just to recap so far, Nils and KDrill require adapters, which add $30 or so, but you can use them w/out the drill plate if you want to.  How about Strikemasters do they need an adapter?  

Also, just wondering if there is any legit reason to pay $100 more for the K Drill over the Nils?  Seems to me they are about the same weight (ballpark) and both cut pretty fast.  

Thanks again for the info fellas!!

I have the Milwaukee m18 fuel hammer drill, 5ah batteries, never worried about keeping them warm last year and never had a problem. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

WOW!

I had my 8" Nils out with Clam plate powered by the 2704 Milwaukee.  Granted the ice was only 4" but I could tell I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it when the ice gets thick.  So much so I might be leaving the Tanaka in its Summerized state all winter.

As you might know I a 100% Nils guy. The speed of cut with very little torque from the Nils is why its makes it the auger of choice for hand and power.   Those same characteristics make Nils a perfect candidate if your going with a cordless.    Because of that low torque you really don't need the Clam plate with the Nils.   It does make for good ergonomics to drill with though.  Its also handy for setting the auger down on ice and keeping the drill out of the snow.  The little extra weight for me is a non issue.

On my more remote ice trips with long travel I'm might run the Nils without the plate and pack the drill away in my backpack.  Or go super compact and light with my 6" Nils and drill. I can't wait to see that setup rip holes. It'll be like waving a light saber around.

One tip with the Clam plate is to adjust the linkage to drills trigger so that you bottom out the lever against the clam plate handle.  Now when you pin the throttle your not using the drills trigger as a stop.

• Thumbs Up 1

A Strike Master should mount right up the to the Clam plate.

As far as using the Clam gear reduction with KDrill, I believe KDrill specific about RPMs so the gear reduction would drop that beyond the recommended RPMs.  It might be better to save the $70 and upgrade the drill.

On 12/11/2016 at 7:50 AM, Surface Tension said:

The speed of cut with very little torque from the Nils is why its makes it the auger of choice for hand and power.   Those same characteristics make Nils a perfect candidate if your going with a cordless.    Because of that low torque you really don't need the Clam plate with the Nils.   

On my more remote ice trips with long travel I'm might run the Nils without the plate and pack the drill away in my backpack.  Or go super compact and light with my 6" Nils and drill. I can't wait to see that setup rip holes. It'll be like waving a light saber around.

I am leaning towards a 6" Nils with just my drill to start, for the reasons listed above.  Since I walk out pulling my porty in the Metro most of the time, lighter is better.  How often do the Nils blades need to be sharpened?  From what I have read, it doesn't seem like it is that often.

On 12/11/2016 at 7:58 AM, Surface Tension said:

A Strike Master should mount right up the to the Clam plate.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by CJH

I use the 6"Nils with a husky drill. 

My ion has not left the rafters since I bought it. I will never look back. You will not be disappointed. 

I have a pair if nils augers. One for 4 seasons and one for two. Drilling hundreds of holes each season. Have yet to sharpen either of them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

chatted with a rep out at mills that has been running and gunning with the 6 inch clam auger for 2 years now and has not replaced blades. does the nills have a point?  the clam does. lotta fun stuff to use thats for sure. might have to paint my Ryobi blue. LOL 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nils Blades.

4.5"

6"   (red)

6"  Slick blade (black)

8" standard blade (red)

8" standard blade w/power points (red)

8" Slick blade (black)   Slick blades have a little less drill rate and less torque.  Because of that you can use a drill with less torque.

Power Points are NOT needed for use with a powerhead or drill.

As Neighbor Guy said, you can go years without needing to sharpen a Nils or any blade for that matter. 

If you bang the blade, drill in sand, throw it in the back of you truck with out the guard on. plan on having to get it sharpened often.

• Thumbs Up 1

I baby my stuff so blades should last. :)  

Read the thread but did not see answer.   Will the clam work with old Mora hand augers?   I have a 6" and 7" that work well by hand.  

Thanks.  

• Thumbs Up 2

from what I hear they will work. Just need to buy adapter. 

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, wahoo said:

Read the thread but did not see answer.   Will the clam work with old Mora hand augers?   I have a 6" and 7" that work well by hand.  

Thanks.  

Yes vintage Mora hand augers do work. I did a few mods to mine adding a point, modifying blades and adding a .020 shim to leading edge of the mounted blade. Also made an adapter before you could buy one. Here is a post I did back in march on sharpening blades. The Mora is at the end of the thread.

http://fishingminnesota.com/forums/topic/206374-sharpen-auger-blades-at-home/#comment-1960845

1 hour ago, wahoo said:

Thanks.  I have a stock of blades, new, I found a few years back.  Can you buy the adapter?

found this one on ebay. The Mora shaft diameter is the same diameter as the adapter end of the Clam Drill plate so it should work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-auger-adapter-for-threaded-augers-to-clam-plate/291853093386?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3Dcd86ddc3223a4f34a36b64decd8d54b1%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D172075585679

only drilled a bout a dozen holes today in 6 inches or so. really liked it. more testing to come. 

drilled 25 or so today in 8-10 inches. battery went from 4 bars to 3. still love it :)  

• Thumbs Up 2

Fished with Raetz a bit today. He has a 5 inch auger.  zip zap zowie !  LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

got skunked on the lake we tried up north a bit.  not in the area yet I guess. small perch only on camera. he went to another lake and rick g and I went to another and did good on gills but didnt find a 9. 

I caught some 9s today but did not crack the 10 inch mark.

I caught some 9s today but did not crack the 10 inch mark.