• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Lake Ice Fishing

Has anyone ice fished pelican (Orr) before? I'm guessing the biggest issue might be accessibility (assuming it ever does snow)? Strikes me as a lake that doesn't get a whole lot of attention in the winter. I'm just looking for something out of the ordinary for New Years weekend, so I'm trying to gather some info.

I have done some ice fishing on it. Most of the lake is shallow but the east end has some deep water. I don't think anyone plows a road to "the spot" it's more of a search for them. It's a lake I need to spend more time ice fishing on. Sure there can be some good fishing when you find the fish 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

JB are you staying near Orr or tower. If tower let me know.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Maybe take a dog sled into basswood 

It's technically a getaway with the wife, that just happens to have fishing added as a bonus. I don't think dog sledding is up her alley. I thought of pelican on a whim, in the event there wasn't much snow, and driving around to spots would be possible. Otherwise I'm eye ballin' the typical big lakes. I suppose I should get on the ball about getting a room, regardless of where I decide to go, otherwise I won't find anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oveson's almost always has openings (can get filled with sledders on those Jan/Feb holiday weekends if the snow is good) and has lake access right from the hotel.  They got 24"+ of snow from this last storm, so you'll want to call and see how that effected the lake (guessing most of it melted when it hit so no long term issues).

We've stayed there many times but only for sledding.  What species are you looking for?  I would think gills and even largies would be possible in the shallows, and I know there are some crappies, and a good smallie population.

When we've run the lake Indian point usually has a house or 2 on it.  

Edited by Xplorer
SP

• 2 weeks later...

I was up there about ten days ago and the snow and lake ice were melting fast.
The forecast for the next week looks good for making ice.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother was out there on Christmas he had about 10" of ice But no fish. Pelican can be a great lake for Crappies and Walleye's I have a 29.5 inch Walleye from there, if you are looking for Crappies Indian point is pretty good use the landing at the boys camp, or fish in front of Island view resort there's a nice little hump to fish off. Now for walleye's fish the southwest side of Sugar bush bay, or try and get out to bald Island its the small one to the north of Backus island, fish the north side just off the rock reef s there try to get between the two reefs. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up next Thursday wondering if anyone has been out on pelican hope there is not a lot of slush