• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

4 man portable shelter

jramsber

I am looking at a new portable shelter this year. It would be ideal to get one that fits 3-4 people so I can take my whole family out. I am looking at the clam x400. My concern is the weight. Does anybody have experience lifting this unit up in the back of a truck or dragging it around or to move from spot to spot?  Any suggestions of other shelters to look at would be great. Thanks!

We bought a Eskimo 949i a couple seasons ago & like that. Got a good deal at L & M year end clearance for $259. Biggest complaint I've heard on them is people trying to get them back in the travel bag out on the ice. We wait until we get back to the garage so it can warm up & dry out some. 

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

We bought a Eskimo 949i a couple seasons ago & like that. Got a good deal at L & M year end clearance for $259. Biggest complaint I've heard on them is people trying to get them back in the travel bag out on the ice. We wait until we get back to the garage so it can warm up & dry out some. 

Do you find the pop up style easy to set up and take down if you want to move around a lot?  Do you have to use ice anchors most of the time?  Thanks for the reply. 

Edited by jramsber

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

not the best if you want to move around a lot.  it's ok to drag it set up but a bugger if windy. if moving far not that tough to pop down and pop back up. when i fished in wind I used the vehicle as a block and that helped. also used the ropes with tie down screws when needed. but I tied nice ropes onto the hubs that were easy to work with.  I never used the bag till storing time in the spring. I just collapsed mine and used a few bungee cords to hold it together, much easier. good luck and have fun! :) 

• Thumbs Up 3

The Eskimo crossover EVO are 2 person hubs on a sled. Thought you were looking for 4 person.

I agree with eyeguy on the 949i moving, wind and vehicle block. I got my first one in 2011 which lacked a bit in quality and design. Eskimo replaced it in 2014 with latest design, much better unit. Part of the reason its tough to take down and put in bag is the amount of moisture the non-vented propane heaters produce (Mr. Heater and like). At 0 deg. frost will build up on the quilted seams which adds weight and bulk. At -20 the inside will turn totally white with frost so using a tie cord or bungee to tie it up till spring works well. The 949i serves 3 people nicely. 4 people is crowded with all the gear. I found the biggest challenge with moving is transferring all the gear in and out of the hub with 3 or 4. Not bad with two if you go light. I also added a fold-up floor to keep things off the melted ice, easier to heat and a bit less moisture.

My buddy has a Clam 6 pack, the octagon version. Clam uses a lighter weight material so its about the same weight. Set up its about 9 ft. in diameter. Same amount of effort setting up, taking down and moving gear, frost buildup about the same its just a bit more room to handle 4 nicely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eskimo makes the best ice screws. They go in like butter!

Papadarv, what are you using for a wood floor? I have the same home sweet home 949i.

Edited by Grainbelt
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

yes, those screws are nice. sold my eskimo and got a small clam portable last fall but saved a couple screws. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

Papadarv, what are you using for a wood floor? I have the same home sweet home 949i.

It's 1/8" underlayment. 2 sheets 4x8 cut in half and ties together with 3 piano hinges. 11" holes cut in where desired. Been using it going on 4 years still in good shape.

5 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

here is a pic of the floor folded and unfolded.

Eskimo Floor fold-open.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to agree with eyeguy. We usually don't put it up & take it down a bunch in a day. One of us might look for a new spot & if successful, then move.

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1