• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for opinions on Eskimo products

stoneeyes317

Hey all,

I've been looking at upgrading my ice fishing set up and came upon the Eskimo propane auger and EVO shelters. Would anyone mind giving their opinions/experiences with either product?

Thanks,

stoneeyes317

We have a 949i pop up that we've used for a couple seasons & like. At the end of last season we purchased a 43 cc 8" auger on a end of season closeout. Saved around $100 on that & obviously haven't had much chance to try it out.We did receive a quick reply from their customer service when we had a little trouble reading the serial # to register it for warranty, if that means anything to you. They also said that they would take the time we bought ours into consideration for warranty purposes.

• 5 weeks later...

Good customer service. I dont know much about the the sled stype houses, But I have a hub style, and know others that do also and have held up well. If you need a 10" auger and weight isnt a big issue the z71 has some serious power. I have buddy who has the mako model 10 and it would be high up on my list. starts easy and idles great with good cutting power and isnt super heavy. The propane model is also good, another friend has one with zero issues. 

I think the Eskimo products should be high on your list if looking for a new auger, or hub style shack. I have a model 30 Jiffy thats older but still like new so I dont plan on buying a auger anytime soon. But if I was on the market for a new gas power auger stirkemaster, and eskimo would be the two I looked at. 

I had a 9 inch eskimo mako auger with the quantum blades I regret it to this day for selling it and trading for a 8 inch solo lite. (thought it would be better for hole hopping)

I have used my friends propane auger from eskimo and it seems to work flawlessly.

I have only fished out of a hub from them. But it seems to be on point of quality or better than some of the others. I know the ice anchors are way better than the ones that cam with my clam.

I wouldn't hesitate about buying eskimo in fact when it is time to replace my clam I think I am going to switch to eskimo.

I have had both Eskimo and Clam Flip Overs and Hubs over the years....like the Clam much better. As far as Augers I have had Eskimo forever and recently went with their Ion....wish I would have done it sooner, no gas, no carb issues, no matter what auger you have, if it is gas it is going to leak at some point. Ion cuts great, lightweight and always starts...lol.

I have the Versa chair, tripod chair, quick flip 1, and chisel. All made by Eskimo. It's great gear. Costumer service is very good.

I would not hesitate with Esk products.  I have the 949i and before that the quickfish.  Both have served me well.  Augers are well built but I will suggest running TruFuel in the 50:1 gas augers if you have them.  Just runs so much smoother and less smoke. Their customer service is top notch too, even though they are in WI. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am on my second Eskimo 949i, very hard to beat their hub. Also got the Mako 43 10" auger with my first hub in 2011. Starts first pull every time. Ran it last weekend, after a couple prime's took right off. There customer Service is outstanding. Couple minor issues were quickly resolved most with no cost even after warranty. Last ice show, got additional ice anchors and the drill anchor adapter which I use on other applications on the ice. I see no reason to go elsewhere.

I've got an 8" auger from the early 80's that still works great! Sharp looking too with a chrome auger section...

Eskimo cs is top notch. I have had 2 different pop-ups and have a 949i now and love it. Wasn't overly impressed with the flip over pop-up at Cabela's though. It seemed to have less room out in front of you than the other flip over from clam and otter.

I've had an Eskimo Shark for a few years and I love it, I'm not a fan of the aluminum handles on it, they have given me an issue or two but customer service is outstanding. Can't comment on the EVO, other than  I think they are gimmicky, but I love their six sided insulated hub. Works great for my family trips or just going out by myself. Sets up easy and there is a ton of room. 

I have to add that my buddy has had the Eskimo propane auger and loves it, he has a season and half using it and it hasn't given him any problems. 

• 4 weeks later...