• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Injured Lab Question.. HELP!

BRB

Just wanted to see if any of you have experienced this with your hunting dogs.

I have a 1 1/2 year old black lab who I’ve really been excited to hunt with this year but unfortunately that has been put on hold for the time being.

When the problem occurred. Of course while I was on the road for work my wife called and told me that she was playing catch in the back yard throwing the ball maybe 20ft at max and our dog slipped and kind of rolled over himself (from what she said). After that she noticed that he was limping a little bit nothing to bad, but he didn’t want to play catch anymore. When I got home we took him to the vet who provided us with an anti inflammatory. And told us to rest him (leash only for 4 weeks). This was perfect timing because we were getting him fixed so the rest would be easy. The anti inflammatory and rest seemed like it was working at the end of the 4 weeks, my wife and I were heading out of town and we left our dog with my parents who also have a 4 year old black lab. I told my dad to take it easy with our dog due to the circumstances. When we went to pick our dog up we noticed he was limping again and I asked my dad how much activity did our dog get, he said that took his dog and our on a walk through taller grass looking for pheasants for no longer then a half a mile. So here we go again back to the vet and this time having an orthopedic surgeon look at him. They took x rays and nothing appeared to be abnormal. He recommended again 4 weeks leash only with an RX for anti inflammatory. So here we are now. It has been at the end of the 4 weeks again he seemed to be doing a little better until we had to bring him again to my parents and he was off leash for a little bit playing around with my parents older lab. And as soon as we got him back he was limping for a few days. I have told my dad servral to take it easy with our he is trying to heal. But he is the type where, ” hes a dog he will be fine in a few days. So after consulting with the vet again, they are referring us to the U of M vet clinic where we will be meeting with an orthopedic again. I kept asking our vet is this something serious enough to be needing surgery…… she didn’t think so. The guess was soft tissue damage, ie torn muscle or strained muscle. How long do these things take to heal. Basically what it comes down to is that I dont want to take him to the U of M bay $250 to meet with an orthopedic and do an MRI which is $1500 just to have them say he needs to rest more.

If he has no activity for 3-4 days, the limp is barley noticeable.But anytime he is off the leash trotting around a little bit then he will limp the next day. When we work his shoulder it doesn’t seem to bother him or be an any type of pain. The first orthopedic said he got a little bit of a reaction on abduction rotation, but wasn’t to bad.

Sorry for the long story but I’m getting really frustrated with the amount of money spent with basically not getting any answers.It is killing me not knowing what’s going on. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Man that is a tough situation I don't know what I would do. Maybe hold off on the mri and go like 6 weeks with strict rest and see how it goes. I would say too that I wouldn't hunt him at all this year regardless on if he seems to be better or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I would check with another vet first that might much cheaper than u of m. I know by there is 3 vets in Princeton. I know vet in the metro charge more than here. As Zach said try more rest and don't let your dad watch your dog for the 6 weeks. I know it is hunting season but it's better allow your dog to heal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the U of M. They ended up doing a joint tap where they inject dye into to see where there is cloudiness. By doing this they can usually tell if it's a ligament or muscle/tendon injury from what I understand. This is a much cheaper approach then doing an MRI. The results came back and more then likely he has a torn muscle in his front shoulder, which is way better news then dealing with a torn ligament. So, he was prescribed an anti inflammatory and basically told to take it easy and not hunt with him this year, which just kills me. But I'm looking at the long term benefits in doing it the right way 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it great you figured it out. Sorry you can't hunt with your dog.

It will be worth the wait! I'd say missing one season isn't as bad as injuring it worse and never being able to hunt him! I'm glad the u of m was able to help you.  keep is updated on how he is doing. Lets see a picture of him! I will be hoping for a full recovery for him

On 11/8/2016 at 11:54 PM, ZachD said:

Good looking dog what are you planning on hunting with him waterfowl upland or both?

Thanks! The bottom two pics are of him when he was 8-11 months. I plan on hunting both with him. 

So bummed I cant hunt him this year. I was so eager to get out with him this year. He really blew me away in the field last year at 8 months and now this...........

Sorry to hear but just think about the next 9 to 12 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...