• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need help choosing

ZachD

Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

Zach-

I have been making annual ice fishing trips with friends for about 12 years ago.  We have tried LOTW, Mille Lacs, Red and one other lake that happened to be where we could use a free cabin for a weekend.  With that one exception for the free cabin, we have also rented sleepers.

We have never made it to Devils Lake, but it is on my personal bucket list just because of the possibility of those monster perch.

Six years ago, we ended up back on Red and no longer consider any other option.  Here's why:

• This fishing is good.
  • The Petrowske family are wonderful hosts.
  • No other resort that we have used has come close to being wonderful hosts.  They just didn't put any effort into it.

Now, I don't know how that you translate to your running portables, but I have never been disappointed with our trips to URL.

Hope that helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, BringAnExtension said:

Zach-

I have been making annual ice fishing trips with friends for about 12 years ago.  We have tried LOTW, Mille Lacs, Red and one other lake that happened to be where we could use a free cabin for a weekend.  With that one exception for the free cabin, we have also rented sleepers.

We have never made it to Devils Lake, but it is on my personal bucket list just because of the possibility of those monster perch.

Six years ago, we ended up back on Red and no longer consider any other option.  Here's why:

• This fishing is good.
  • The Petrowske family are wonderful hosts.
  • No other resort that we have used has come close to being wonderful hosts.  They just didn't put any effort into it.

Now, I don't know how that you translate to your running portables, but I have never been disappointed with our trips to URL.

Hope that helps.

You should definitely try Devils lake I went 3 years ago and had a blast. Not only did we get put on a good perch bite but they put us on an Insane walleye bite the guy said it was about an hour window from when the sun starting setting and boy was he right in that hour I caught walleye after walleye after walleye. As soon as I would start reeling one up another mark would take its place on my graph and I couldn't get my lure down fast enough.

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

I usually go to red 3-4 times a year and last year we did go to red for our work trip as well. Just weighing the options.

Has anyone ever rented house from Arties bait on big stone?

11 hours ago, ZachD said:

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

Yes, he probably is.  I book with him early.  I think that he offers guide service in December up until he opens the sleepers up.  Might align with your portables.

I bet we will end up going to red trying to convince the couple guys that dont like sleepers for some reason that a 10x24 sleeper is just like a cabin and that we can bring 2 portables to bounce around if we want. Dont really need a guide ill probably allready have gone there 3-4 times before this trip.... Maybe superior will freeze good this year and I can convince them to go there i guess I just get kinda bored or red sometimes

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Red for sure.  I usually do a Red/LOTW combo.  I also did Devils last season and the season before that and its tough.  Yes there are monster perch and big walleye but its such a big lake that's its hard to target them consistently.  You will run into a few fishing usual spots but then you have to deal with that prairie wind!  Gas line froze my first year there and the tow truck dude just laughed at me after realizing we were from MN and telling him that I didn't use HEET.  Advice if you go: Add the HEET to your gas.  -60F winds are no joke!  Learn from my mistakes :) 

Ya last time I was at Devils I wanted to target big northern and tip up fish but the wind was just too much to even think about trying of course on the day we were leaving there was no wind and beautiful out. I heard it has been tough out there recently that's a bummer.

I would suggest Devil's. Can keep 3 times as many walleyes as Red, plus the bonus perch and the pike from out there,are some of the best eating anywhere. 

limits at Devils...

Walleyes 5 per day 10 in possession 

Pike 5 per day 10 in possession 

Perch 20 per day 40 in possession 

Tons of structure to fish. Decent amount of lodging options.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Want something different? BWCA or the ely area. From trophy panfish, lake trout, giant pike, boring walleyes, amazing stream trout in lakes and this could be done in a day.  Let me know I can help ya with the lakes or more.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

winny for a big picture fish. :) 

• Thumbs Up 1