• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bird Hunters in the Arrowhead

Went up north of Tofte last weekend camping/looking for a few grouse and to see the fall colors. Was in the region of the grade and 600 road. Pulled off on a walk only trail to run my lab and see if I could kick a few. Anyhow, my lab sits and barks like hell with anticipation at me every time I'm getting the gun out and getting ready to hunt her. So for about 5 minutes she's harassing me loud barking with excitement. We start walking down the trail maybe 50 yards and I see all this brown commotion jumping around ahead of us about 75 yards. At first I think we startled some deer. Then one came out full on the trail and stood watching me/dog. They were timber wolves. That one slunk off in the woods and another came out and just sat there looking at us for about a minute or so. When I noticed they were wolves I grabbed the dog by the caller. They seemed interested in my dog. Her barking must have drew them in. They ran off after looking us over a bit. I turned around and left that spot to avoid any issues. I'm thinking that maybe some younger bird dogs would be enticed to chase after wolves that show this kind of interest in them. In my opinion that would be bad and a dog may not come back alive, given their boldness and interest in my dog. It was fun seeing them, but we didn't just walk up and surprise them, they were coming to see the barking dog. Just curious? Maybe. Looking for an easy meal, maybe. I'm just putting this out there to inform bird hunters up there what I saw, so they can be aware if they have dogs. And no they were not coyotes. 

Ya I think my dog would want to go after them he gets really excited around other dogs. That's why I will never hunt him without his e collar because I know I can stop him in his tracks with it. My dog likes to hunt close and I never let him push out way in front of me so at least I have eyes on him at all time and can give him the command to come to me if I see a wolf. I always keep a slip lead with me as well so I can put that on him and not have my hand tide up reaching down holding on his collar.

I had a couple run in with wolves last year in the Longville/Remer area but that was just with me on foot with no dog.

The one thing that gets me is "Only agents of the government are authorized to take wolves if pets or livestock are threatened, attacked or killed" 

I don't think I could just stand there and watch my dog die.

Anyway did you hunt a different area? Any birds I have only been out once in the mille lacs area and didn't see any. Going to Nemadji this weekend and should see some.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Thanks for the heads up as I  grouse that area and my dog is very young. I know I will be carrying my 40 cal when I go up grouse hunting.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:25 AM, Big Kype said:

Northern Minnesotans are strong supports of the SS rule. Shoot and shut up.

I thought it was 3 s         shoot shovel and shut up  :shhhh:

Yep it is the 3 S's - I just don't think a lot of people are going to be grouse hunting with a shovel - but not a bad idea.

In northwest Wisconsin 26 hunting dogs have already been killed this late summer.   Already breaking the record of 23.  Be careful in the northland.

37 killed now

Seems to be all bear dogs which I think puts them at a little higher risk the way they run those dogs out there. But none the less I wonder what the real count of wolves is in Minnesota.

Many, but not all were bear and coon dogs.  In addition, I can tell you 5 pet dogs were killed about 5-7 miles east of isanti, mn this summer from the new pack of 9 wolves now inhabiting the area.  One of the dogs that was killed was a good friend of mine.  Killed 40 yds from house with a single bite to spine in neck area.  This is only 25 miles from the cities!

2 hours ago, certified jumbo said:

Many, but not all were bear and coon dogs.  In addition, I can tell you 5 pet dogs were killed about 5-7 miles east of isanti, mn this summer from the new pack of 9 wolves now inhabiting the area.  One of the dogs that was killed was a good friend of mine.  Killed 40 yds from house with a single bite to spine in neck area.  This is only 25 miles from the cities!

I was just saying on the WI dnr list all but two were bear dogs just seems to me they are at higher risk the way they run those dogs. Not saying there is no risk to other dogs. 

Ya they are west of Isanti too They are in the Sherburne Wild Life Refuge I know that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had an encounter with a wolf this weekend north of Duluth near Three Lakes Rd.

I was walking a trail about two miles long with my dog where towards the end there is a 90 degree turn with maybe another 100 yards before the end.  when we made it to the end of the trail I spun to see a large healthy white and black wolf standing behind me about 50-60 yards away.  I immediately grabbed my dog, who did not see it and leashed her. ( I carry a leash in my game bag for reasons like this) by the time I looked up the wolf was leisurely trotting away back down the trail with its head on a swivel looking back at me every few seconds.  It stopped just before the 90 degree turn, lifted its leg marked a spot, walked to the other side of the trail and marked another spot before walking into the woods.

My dogs nose was lit up more than half of the way back to the truck and I am of the opinion the wolf was following us for a good amount of time.

I carry a leash for this reason because I do not know how my dog would have reacted to the sight or smell of a wolf.  running through the brush at dusk with wolves to find my dog is not the way I want to end my day...

You'll never hear about dog's killed by wolves in the news - it's not PC because the wolves are sacred animals and should never be seen as a negative. :sick:

11 hours ago, Jonny 2 shot said:

I had an encounter with a wolf this weekend north of Duluth near Three Lakes Rd.

I was walking a trail about two miles long with my dog where towards the end there is a 90 degree turn with maybe another 100 yards before the end.  when we made it to the end of the trail I spun to see a large healthy white and black wolf standing behind me about 50-60 yards away.  I immediately grabbed my dog, who did not see it and leashed her. ( I carry a leash in my game bag for reasons like this) by the time I looked up the wolf was leisurely trotting away back down the trail with its head on a swivel looking back at me every few seconds.  It stopped just before the 90 degree turn, lifted its leg marked a spot, walked to the other side of the trail and marked another spot before walking into the woods.

My dogs nose was lit up more than half of the way back to the truck and I am of the opinion the wolf was following us for a good amount of time.

I carry a leash for this reason because I do not know how my dog would have reacted to the sight or smell of a wolf.  running through the brush at dusk with wolves to find my dog is not the way I want to end my day...

+1 on always carrying a leash

I think it would be good to have as well if dog stepped on a trap as well

• 7 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Looking like wolves might be hunted again and I hope so. 

• Thumbs Up 1