• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My Pup Lindy

MattL

Thought I'd get a thread going for Lindy who is 4 months right now. Training is going extremely well. I picked up 5 pigeons and I'm working with live birds this weekend. She has been introduced to .22 blanks at this time but nothing bigger. So far I'm taking it slow with the training and making sure everything is solid since she's going to be too young to hunt this fall. 

IMG_20160812_200727197.jpg

Here's a short video of one of the pigeon retrieves today. She did eventually break the skin on this bird but overall she has a soft mouth so far. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are both girls together. They usually don't get along real well and keep their distance. Maggie is 13.5 years old and her health is really going downhill fast, she doesn't like an obnoxious puppy bouncing around and has to put Lindy in her place. I haven't hunted her in 2 or 3 years since she started slowing down. She still gets a little excited when I'm working with Lindy and I give her a few real short retrieves, but she can't run anymore so she just walks out and back. IMG_20160903_174333396.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The UPS guy showed up with a blind today. The ladies in the office think she's spoiled because I always have packages delivered there and they are always for Lindy. 

IMG_20160908_183043.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards. 

IMG_20160924_110720925.jpg

IMG_20160924_104852333_HDR.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today it was time to fire a big gun over her and get rid of some pigeons I had crated up in the garage. She did well but I did a little too good of a job putting the pigeons to sleep and she ended up bringing them back alive. I ended up tossing them by hand and dumping them with the shot gun. The first bird I let her chase a ways so she wouldn't be next to the gun. She did well on that so the next ones I shot with her heeled by my side. And of course we had to practice a hero shot...

IMG_20161008_115918231.jpg

Lindy got to hunt some planted chukars today. A buddy picked up a bunch from the local hunting preserve since another high school friend from out of state was in town and wanted to shoot some birds. 

I didn't expect much out of her and only planned to let her flush/retrieve a couple birds. She greatly exceeded my expectations so we kept rotating her in and out with my buddies springer since it was a bit warm.

There was only one bird she didn't find and my buddies veteran dog couldn't flush it when we brought her through so we don't know what happened to it. She retrieved all but 1 bird to hand. The bird she didn't retrieve fell on the other side of a creek and that threw her for a loop.  It is something we have to work on. Once I brought her over the culvert to the other side she sniffed it out and retrieved it. 

Didn't take any pictures of the chukars, but here is a pic of her all tuckered out from the hunt. 

IMG_20161015_154937049.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I took advantage of the unseasonably warm temps and got in a water training session today. I have no doubts this pup could handle herself on marked retrieves just fine in the duck blind, but don't want to risk developing any bad habits at this age. 

IMG_20161105_152910912.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Didn't plan to hunt her at all this year but she has been doing so good in training. Here's her first bird a couple weeks ago. 

IMG_20161203_145645293.jpg

IMG_20161203_162733926.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1