• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Campgrounds with boat parking

Are there any good campgrounds or resorts with camping within an hour or two of the metro that have boat slips/docks available, either right at the site or nearby?  Or a calm place to beach your boat near your campsite overnight?  I've camped at a few county parks in WI that have this feature but can't seem to find any nearby that do.  I don't want to hassle with taking my boat in and out each time I go fishing in a weekend.

Also, camping at Baker Lake Park Preserve looks decent with it's proximity to Lake Independence but it doesn't appear to be close enough to the lake to leave a boat unattended for very long.  Does anyone have experience camping and fishing there that can chime in on how they managed?  Did you just park your boat/trailer in a parking lot when not in use?  or was there room to keep it at your site?

Any tips would be appreciated.  We would be tent camping if that makes a difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Schroeder Park in Annandale, on Cedar Lake doesn't have official boat parking, but people beach their boats and leave them there while camping all the time. It's a really nice campground, but too "civilized" for my liking. Also, Bray Park on Madison Lake (in-between Waterville and Mankato) has a really nice campground. Kind of the same situation, no official boat parking, but campers beach their boats. Byllesby regional park, in Cannon Falls has what your looking for as well. 

I have been to 3 north of the Cities. Pokegama Lake R.V. Park and Golf just west of Pine City. Landing and docks are on the river.

Capt. Dan's Crows Nest campground on Knife Lake. Again located on the Knife river going into the lake. Saturday night quite loud with the local seasional beer parties till wee hours. Also have a great restaurant and bar - very good food.

You can find both of these on Google and need reservations.

2 hours north on Big Sandy Lake, Corps of Engineers Federal Campground. Most sites are reserved, but they have a few first come first served. Nice landing and boat mooring. Sites have power but no water.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2016 at 4:33 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

Schroeder Park in Annandale, on Cedar Lake doesn't have official boat parking, but people beach their boats and leave them there while camping all the time. It's a really nice campground, but too "civilized" for my liking. Also, Bray Park on Madison Lake (in-between Waterville and Mankato) has a really nice campground. Kind of the same situation, no official boat parking, but campers beach their boats. Byllesby regional park, in Cannon Falls has what your looking for as well. 

Thanks for the recommendations!  We booked a weekend at Bray Park.

On 7/28/2016 at 9:52 AM, AaronTC05 said:

Are there any good campgrounds or resorts with camping within an hour or two of the metro that have boat slips/docks available, either right at the site or nearby?  Or a calm place to beach your boat near your campsite overnight?  I've camped at a few county parks in WI that have this feature but can't seem to find any nearby that do.  I don't want to hassle with taking my boat in and out each time I go fishing in a weekend.

Also, camping at Baker Lake Park Preserve looks decent with it's proximity to Lake Independence but it doesn't appear to be close enough to the lake to leave a boat unattended for very long.  Does anyone have experience camping and fishing there that can chime in on how they managed?  Did you just park your boat/trailer in a parking lot when not in use?  or was there room to keep it at your site?

Any tips would be appreciated.  We would be tent camping if that makes a difference.

Lake Carlos in Alexandria is my favorite place to camp with the Boat.  You can get a campsite that is located right across the service rode from the lake where you tight your boat up for as long as you are there.  It is connected to about 5 lakes in a chain, so you can really cover ground and find good fishing too.

On 7/28/2016 at 9:52 AM, AaronTC05 said:

Stayed at El Rancho Manana campground near Richmond last year. Had a camping spot right on the waters edge and a dock to tie up at. Great time for the kids...lots of panfish and bass to keep them busy. Didn't fish a ton because the other family we were with wasn't as in to it as us. I'd try it again. Most of the sites are seasonal folks...Only a small number of rental spots.  

El Rancho Manana Campground

https://goo.gl/maps/BSDyt6ST4vB2