• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ncor Vid...Late July on LOW>>(Hey! that's timely)

So many ways to fish em up in July.  This NCOR vid shows you can still fish with a jig and shiner in late July with success.  Don't be afraid to go deeper into your bag of tricks but don't overlook the obivious either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the video Curt.  On our way up Sunday for a week out of Cyrus with my extended family (16 of us).  It's been pretty quiet on the forum the past few weeks, so I'm dying to know just how the current bite is.  Sounds like the downrigging bite started early this year.  My dad and I are in charge of putting some newbies on fish, so we're coming prepared with riggers, jigging rods, and snap weights for pulling cranks and/or spinners.  We have bigger boats, so the reefs and islands are an option depending on wind, but ideally we'd like to get on a jig bite as close to home if it isn't too late.  Any insight you could share would be appreciated.  I've fished LOW in the Fall and Winter, so we haven't done the rigger fishing much for eyes. 

The Morris Point Gap has had some current cleaning up the water out in front and as of a couple weeks ago that wasnt bad.

The water got churned up 3 weeks ago and has been slow to clear up.  Once it does, you will find some place to jig along the shore line.  My brother is up at Long Point right now and they caught fish yesterday fairly close in. 

The deep water has been real good, out 4 or 5 miles you will see the big pack of boats.  Most will be trolling/downrigging but there will be fishers anchored up jigging and drifting spinners.  This bite has been steady and good.  Very nice place to pull some cranks.

If you decide to make a run to the islands your newbies will get a great taste of LOW fishing but I dont think you need to run that far.  Charter boats are making the run every day to fill the coolers, and they do but the fishing out in the big basin is pretty darn good.

Have a great trip, I hope the weather is good for you

This is what the bottom looks like out 5 miles from the Graceton cut and out in front of the field at Zippel

13613665_1124005621007969_4019762296875542522_o.jpg

Thanks Curt.  As usual, your information is thorough and extremely helpful.  Much appreciated!!  You going to be out at all the next week?

Only Saturday this weekend, I have some chores to do and Sunday will be windy so that will be a work day.  It seems that August gets all messed up for finding time to fish a lot. I dont know what it is but it is always something!   By September things settle down and fishing goes off the charts good.  I can be patient.

Have a great time

Great report Curt. I will be up there tomorrow for a couple weeks and bringing the riggers and trolling gear this time. Looks like the weather is trying to get a little more stable and hope the water continues to clear up.

Downrigging will be off the charts regardless of the weather. Out in the middle the water doesnt get all churned up as much

A footnote to the "dirty water" mentioned. It's not just the south shore. I spent Mon - Thurs at Morson and the basin just west of Morson is also dirty. We saw few people fishing there and when we tried a couple times it was poor. Hardly marked any fish either. We had to run west quite a ways to find cleaner water and good fishing.

I don't recall a anytime in recent years the lake has stayed roiled for so long. Hope it cleans up soon.