• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Namakan/Ash RIver VIsitor Center

Headed to Namakan Island this weekend via the Ash River Visitors center with my 9 yr old.  (His first boat in camping trip).  Looking for any advice or opinions on the following?

Were is the best place/s to get bait close to the lake?

The boat is full of gas but if I need/want to get more gas while we are out where are the closest/best places to get more?

Any comments about the Namakan Island South campsite?

Any Blueberry opportunities in that area right now?

Fishing Report?  Sounds like we should look for walleye on reefs in 25-30 fow.  Also sounds like there was a mayfly hatch that might be about done.  Does that mean the walleye won't be biting?  My boy wants to cast for northerns as well.  Guessing we should look in the bays. 

I'll let you know how it goes when we get back.

Thanks to anyone willing to help with some info!  :-) 

7 hours ago, mq32 said:

Headed to Namakan Island this weekend via the Ash River Visitors center with my 9 yr old.  (His first boat in camping trip).  Looking for any advice or opinions on the following?

Were is the best place/s to get bait close to the lake?    Cold Springs is just a few miles before the turnoff to Ash River                  and has crawlers and leeches.

The boat is full of gas but if I need/want to get more gas while we are out where are the closest/best places to get more?

Closest to Namakan island would be running into Ash River thru Sullivan bay. Several resorts have gas pumps.   

Any comments about the Namakan Island South campsite?  Has a small beach to pull boat up to. It is in a high boat                        traffic area as most folks run the south side of Namakan island when heading east from Kab/Ash River. 

Any Blueberry opportunities in that area right now?  Yes, we found a few last week when we were up on the east end of                           Namakan

Fishing Report?  Sounds like we should look for walleye on reefs in 25-30 fow.  Also sounds like there was a mayfly hatch that might be about done.  Does that mean the walleye won't be biting?  My boy wants to cast for northerns as well.  Guessing we should look in the bays.    

Walleyes: lindy rigged 22-30' rocks, crawlers were better than leeches for us.  Very few mayflies that we saw thru Sunday.  For action cast the smaller bays, for size troll cranks around those same reefs/rocks that your fishing for eyes.   

I'll let you know how it goes when we get back.

Thanks to anyone willing to help with some info!  :-) 

Just got back stay on Wolf island west. Fishing was slow for us we did land several small northern and smallies. Walleye fishing for us was  a none factor for us fished several sunken reefs but no luck.

Bring plenty of bug spray  biting flies and mosquitos killer

have a great trip enjoy

Jimmys on the turn to Ash river visitor center a great place to stop

We were on McMannis Island July 4 - 8 and fishing was tough.  We did manage to find walleyes but all shallow and while bass/northern fishing.  I got more walleyes on a mepps than i did lindy or spinner rigging.  Either way they tasted great!   

Headed to Namakan Island this weekend via the Ash River Visitors center with my 9 yr old.  (His first boat in camping trip).  Looking for any advice or opinions on the following?  Results in blue

Were is the best place/s to get bait close to the lake?    Cold Springs is just a few miles before the turnoff to Ash River                  and has crawlers and leeches.  Had to stop in Cloquet for gas so we decided to get bait there.  The places you all mentioned looked very good though and will try them next time for sure. 

Closest to Namakan island would be running into Ash River thru Sullivan bay. Several resorts have gas pumps.   We didn't run around a lot because the weather had was scattered showers/storms off and on so I didn't end up needing gas this time.  Again I will definitely keep the info in mind though.

Any comments about the Namakan Island South campsite?  Has a small beach to pull boat up to. It is in a high boat                        traffic area as most folks run the south side of Namakan island when heading east from Kab/Ash River.  Xplorer is dead on here....Sand beach worked well.  Definitely a high boat traffic area but didn't bother me.

Any Blueberry opportunities in that area right now?  Yes, we found a few last week when we were up on the east end of                           Namakan  Only got out on one island to look and found 1 plant that had a few microscopic blueberries.

Walleyes: lindy rigged 22-30' rocks, crawlers were better than leeches for us.  Very few mayflies that we saw thru Sunday.  For action cast the smaller bays, for size troll cranks around those same reefs/rocks that your fishing for eyes.   

Walleye:  Started looking deep 25-40+ fow.  There were fish in those depths especially the deeper stuff but didn't bite much.  All in all we probably caught a total of 8 walleye.  Two keepers were caught in about 25ish fow one on a leech and lindy and the other on a jig and crawler.  The other 2 keepers were caught in 17-21 fow on leech and lindy.  The remaining 4 were all caught on lindy and leech in the 17-21 fow as well.  I measured 2 of the 4 fish and they measured 23" and 21" and the other 2 that I didn't measure were in the same ball park.  I believe only 1 smallie was caught on a jig leech and bobber.  We caught about 4-6 northerns in some bays (nothing huge but fun none the less).  Also watched an eagle grab a fish.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THOSE THAT HELPED WITH INFO!!!!! Hope this report pays it forward.   

DSC08864.jpg

DSC08866.JPG

DSC08878.JPG

DSC08913.jpg

DSC08915.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like you two had a great trip!!   Nice pics!

We're headed back up on Saturday morning for another 5 days on East Wolfpack island.  Sounds like I'm going to have to do some searching to find those active eyes.  It's a tough job but somebody has to do it:):):)

Xpolorer we are going to be heading up also for a much needed week, will have to try to look you up and we can comepare notes..

Sitting in camp now. Weather is much better than predicted. Just a few sprinkles last night.  Got three eaters yesterday afternoon lindy/leech in about 29', one which got attacked by an upper 30's pike up from the reef. Ripped his gut wide open before letting go on the surface.  

Went out this morning and the west wind was blowing pretty good. Had to use the trolling motor to slow my drift with the wind but ended up with 8 fish, 7 eyes (3 eaters) and 1 sauger. Caught them in one place from 24 out to 36'. No overs yet.  

Took the boys tubing the last couple hours, and now it's a little siesta time : )

Hey - I'm new to this forum but not to Namakan Lake.  Question for you guys: Heading up in August and have Rusty Island reserved.  My brothers want to stay closer to Ash River boat ramp and Kettle Falls.  I see the Torry Fish campsite is available @ the same time.  How do these sites compare?  We have 2 boats, 3 adults, and 6 kids.  I know Torry Fish camp is larger which would be nice.  How far a walk is it from the boat landing to the actually campsite on Torry?  How do the sites compare for swimming, bugs, fishing, etc?  Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks and I will post a fishing report when we get back.

Bittyboy,

I personally havnt camped at either, but have walked around both sites.  Landing at Torrey is a soft landing, not sand tho like Rusty.  I'd say its about 125' to the main camping area on Torrey, but have seen folks unloading their boat while pulled up next to the rocks in front of the campsite.  It will have 4 bearboxes and tentpads. There is a little bay just NE of the site that has an awesome beach, but there is a houseboat there most of the time.  Bugs I would imagine are similar. We just got back wednesday afternoon and the ankle biters were not too bad, but the skeeters were still thick starting shortly after 9pm.  

As far as fishing, I found all my fish lindy rigging leeches in 24-36, mostly about 29'.  I had all my fishfry fish early and didnt even go out the last 3 days, the weather was sunny warm and we did tons of swimming, diving and tubing.  Hauled my son and his buddy who was along, on the tube all the way from the Wolf Packs to Kettle Falls and back on Monday, and from the Wolf Packs to Ash-ka-Nam and back on Tuesday (we needed more tubing gas:))

PS:  We found tons of blueberries!!!

image.jpeg

Edited by Xplorer
Added PS

Thanks for the tips xplorer.

Sounds like Rusty is maybe better swimming for the kids?  I know there are 2 tent pads there.  Is there room for 3 tents tho?

Thanks again!

I'm sure the sand bay at Rusty is better than the rocks at Torrey,   Should be no problem getting a third tent in, the main area is pretty open at Rusty.

Here is a short video of the Rusty site.  We actually met Cameron two years ago as he was out doing a video of another site on East Namakan.     Hope its OK to put on here.