• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer 2016 Vermilion fishing reports, Etc.

The fishing Nov. 8-11 was a little slower for me, but caught plenty of 15-17" eaters plus ten 22-25" slot eyes.  They were hitting everything (pike suckers, chubs, plain hooks, jig heads), but I found that I caught more eaters using a jig head.  Notice the scar marks on the one slot fish; I didn't see them until I looked at the picture the next day.  I know that I didn't cut the fish, and it swam away very quickly.

Water temps are still 44°F, so it won't freeze for several weeks (I'm sure well into December).  I am definitely done soft water fishing as I drained my lower end unit.

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

Nice fish pictures!

I should have kept fishing instead of deer hunting! :D I probably would have had much better luck!!

It is amazing how much abuse some of the walleyes can sustain and still keep swimming and eating!  Makes me really doubt hooking mortality numbers quoted by the DNR at times.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still time to soft-water fish.  I'm guessing that Vermilion will freeze over Dec. 3-5.  Hope to report on hard water fishing Dec. 12.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just ran the numbers based on accuweathers extend forecast. After skim and up to about 8" it takes 15 FDD to make an inch with light winds, clear sky's and no snow.

If it skims by the 6th, mathematically there is a potential for about 4-5" by the morning of the 9th. The wild card is the predicted storm for the 8th/9th. If we get an inch of ice on the 6th and another on the 7th then we get 6" of snow on the 8th/9th it will be a mess for a while...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still sticking with my prediction that it will freeze over Dec. 3-5.  The weather forecast I saw predicts 3-6 inches Dec.6-7.  If we get close to the 6", that could be bad for the ice.  It gets much cooler starting on Dec. 7 so that is good.  A lot depends on the amount of snow, and whether it blows off the ice when it falls.  I still think I will make it out Dec. 9 (walking), but won't take any risks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pike was about 80% frozen over this morning.

Big Bay was still wide open.

Heard that water temps were averaging around 38 degrees!

Cliff

10 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

I'm still sticking with my prediction that it will freeze over Dec. 3-5.  The weather forecast I saw predicts 3-6 inches Dec.6-7.  If we get close to the 6", that could be bad for the ice.  It gets much cooler starting on Dec. 7 so that is good.  A lot depends on the amount of snow, and whether it blows off the ice when it falls.  I still think I will make it out Dec. 9 (walking), but won't take any risks.

I'm game if yer game. I'll bring a pair of Mustang suits.:grin: If you find us fish, I'll make sure we don't die...

Based on Cliff's water temp of 38°F, I'm not too sure about Dec. 3-5.  Think it will be more like Dec. 7-9.  I have ice fever and I need a cure.  Last year's first ice PB of 29", 8½# shown below would definitely cure that, but it may not be until Dec. 15-16 now.

DSC01479.JPG

DSC01481.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1