• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer 2016 Vermilion fishing reports, Etc.

Still a good jig bite right up until freeze-up!

Jigging raps will probably work well also.

Going to try hair jigs this weekend to see how well that they will work!

Cliff

We have fished Vermilion (East Side) the past two weekends with mixed results.  We found the fish on flats in 30-35 FOW. Surface temps 61 two weeks ago, 56 last weekend. The jig bite was slow, so we pulled small shad raps and Xraps on DR and caught fish (orange worked best).  Very slow in the morning, bite started around 12-2pm and we did get our limit the first weekend.  Not one fish in the slot, 17" was our biggest.  let go 4 or 5 under 14".  Last Monday (Columbus Day) was windy and very slow trolling cranks, 4 hours and 2 fish, kept one 17".  Started jigging the last half hour (32 FOW with fish stacked up) and caught an 18.5", first slot fish!  Brought it up slow and released nicely. Consistent light bites, but had to head out after winds really picked up at 2pm.  Orange fireball jig was getting their attention.  Looking forward to a better jig bite for next weekend.  I have been launching out of HooDoo Pt ramp. 

How is everyone doingwith the walleyes this weekend I have struggled a little finding active fish anyone having success out there i anyone having success out there if so care to share any info

I did not get out on Sat. but went out this morning.

Not a really hot bite but we did get 14 walleyes and kept 12 using jigs/suckers/shiners. 29' to 42' depths in the rocks.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

I was up for a 3 day weekend and had mixed results. Jig and a minnow and jigging raps worked for us. I tell you what those fish came in waves and then silence. We would catch 4 then nothing for an hour or so then 3 more then nothing again. I was really going threw the tackle. the classic vermilion pink and white jig head worked great for us and green chartrusse vmc moon eye jigs. Caught fish anywhere from 23 fow of water to 43' which I'm sure  I could have caught more in the 40ft range but I try to avoid going that deep if at all possible. it seemed like a lot of times I had to hold the jig perfectly still just slowly lowering it to touch bottom to trigger the bite but when they hit they were there. Used chubs rainbow and pike suckers and medium size pike suckers did way better. I guess one other piece of advice on fishing these deep holes is before you give up on a spot scan it because same depth 10 ft one way or the other can make all the difference. Bouys were being pulled yesterday so remember to be careful. Vermilion can be tricky to navigate.

I also fished 3-days last weekend and had marginal success.  Caught a few eaters and 5 slot eyes 22-24".  Missed several good bites also; I don't think they were taking the whole sucker minnow.  16 FOW, sucker minnows, plain hook (except the last 2 slot fish caught on a 1/8oz rainbow color jig/sucker minnow).

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Ranger62200 said:

Anyone have the most recent water temps?

50 degrees in Big Bay yesterday morning.

Cliff

Hello Friends:

Closing up the cabin tomorrow after a fantastic week-fishing was lights out. I can't thank those of you who post their ideas and experiences on here enough. I can honestly say, it has helped my fishing success tremendously!

All the best to all of you, and looking forward to next Spring already!

Andy

• Thumbs Up 2

Heading out again shortly.  Quick report from yesterday.  It was inconsistent for us. That's probably because it's my first attempt on Vermilion ever after labor day.  4 of us spent our day vertical jigging with a little lead core mixed in.   We kept 11 and had a couple 23-26" fish.  We never really found a big pod. Almost everything was caught jigging. Trolling was tough although i know it's been a good trolling bite yet.  Depending on the spot we fished 24'out to 40'. I'll have another report tonight. 

Today was a mirror image of yesterday for us. Caught 15 with 11 being 14-17" and 4 between 19-22". The only thing i can really add is that we couldn't be more subtle with the jigging motion. Most of our hits came by holding the jigs inches off bottom or in that instant that the jig sat on bottom when you made contact with bottom.  

Edited by james_walleye

This will be my last report until ice fishing season!

I fished the last couple of days and it was a very slow bite for me.

Used lindys and jigs with minnows. Fished 22' to 42' depths.

Boated a total of 22 walleyes in two mornings of fishing. Only one lower end slot in the bunch.

Will post again as soon as I get out ice fishing!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 3

Cliff,

Your post marks the end of the official season (unofficial continues) and even though I pulled out already, I always feel a little sad when I see this one. Here's hoping we are all back out on the lake come next May.

Have a good winter season,

Dick

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Dick!

Always hate to pull the boat for the season but hate it even more if I get caught with a boat full of snow!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been caught with a boat of snow more than once.  I'll be up there fishing at least a couple more weekends before I pull the plug on open water.  I've still had pretty decent luck every weekend, but the method I caught them has changed most every weekend.  I've caught them on lead core, rigging with large minnows, and jiggin raps.  I already can't wait until spring!

I've had my boat freeze in the lake before.  Not fun chiseling it out before winter.  Heading up this weekend for one last soft water trip, unless the water temps are still warm and I dare leave the boat in for deer hunting.

Went out for a couple hours Tuesday and put a few in the boat to end my season. Not a real hot bite but can't complain about two 15"ers for the pan.

Thanks to everyone who shares info here. We've had the cabin for 6 years now and I'm starting to really figure things out with the help I find here. I'm nowhere near as good as I want to be but I always catch fish now, that wasn't always the case. 

What a class of eater fish there is right now! Next year when they're all 16-17" will be great too, but it looks like we are going to have some lean years after that as far as eaters go. Anyone else see any signs of hope for a class after the current one? I don't remember catching anything under 14 all year

I was catching a lot of 10" to 12" walleyes early in the season. I think that they moved deeper later and I did not catch to many of them after that.

I did get a few of this springs hatch, (6" to 8" ) fish this fall also.

Hopefully the DNR test netting this fall will reveal a good forecast!

Cliff

Fished Friday-Sunday a few hours each day and the action was very good.  Caught plenty of 14-17½" eaters, a couple of dinks, and 4 slot fish 20-24".  I had plenty of company on the water Friday and Saturday in crappy weather, then on Sunday afternoon when it was nearly 50°F and calm I didn't see another boat on the lake fishing (and the fishing was great).  Everybody must have been watching the Packers play (including Vikings fans cheering for them to lose).  Plain hook still fishing with suckers and chubs in 16 FOW.  Water temp was still 45°F, but I still pulled my boat out of the water, but left the motor on in case I get my buck early this year.

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice job. I was at the cabin but too much work, I never got out to fish.  Sunday was beautiful. I'll be up this weekend again.  Hopefully I can get some fishing time in.