• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We are planning our annual Minnesota fishing trip the week of July 4th and are looking for recommendations for a small lake and resort.  We have always stayed on lake vermilion but now have a much smaller boat.  I have looked at maps, but with so many lakes to choose from I have no idea where to begin.  Any recommendations for a small lake with good panfish, northerns, and bass?  Primarily catch and release but will have a fish fry or two.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Vermilion works with a small boat.  I fished for years with a 16 foot boat and 20 hp motor.  

West end, small enough bays and stuff to block wind.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Agreed. I've never owned anything bigger than 16ft and have a water-access property. I used to go across in a 14fter with a 5.5hp, then would ferry guests across in a skinny 16ft with either a 25hp or 35hp motor. I still like to fish out of my little 12ft with either my 3hp or 5.5hp. As Delcecchi said, there are lots of small bays. Sometimes you need to move around to chase the walleye, but pretty much every bay has bass/northerns/panfish.

Not that I'm trying to talk you into Vermilion. I don't have any advice or knowledge about the smaller, surrounding lakes.

If you are in a boat that small, don't fish for Walleye's on the west...They will pull you around!  No eater size on the west...lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the info!  We are going to give it a try and if it gets too windy maybe trailer to a smaller lake nearby.

I agree about the boat size but right below they were just talking about Myrtle Lake just east of Orr. That's a pretty little spot and could be your backup.

Trail's End Resort on Echo is great.  Good people, nice cabins, good restaurant. Your other option is Timberwolf Point Lodge again great people, nice place but I don't think they have a restaurant.  You may have to plan a head a little for a resort in this area over the 4th.  

Edited by OhioVike
  • Thumbs Up 1

No resort but nice camping and plenty of hotels in the area of Whitewater Lake in Hoyt Lakes. Lots of pike, bass, panfish and walleyes especially on the reef straight out from the point. For some reason Google street view wont go to the end of the point but you can get an idea of the campground. (Fishermans point road). Nice hiking trails behind the Country Inn. 

The other place to consider is Elephant Lake Lodge. Another pretty spot and great people.

• Thumbs Up 1

You may also wish to go on-line and look around on VRBO, there are many resorts, private party cabins, etc. on Vermillion, as well as many opportunities on the surrounding lakes in the Vermillion area.  Good Luck !

• Thumbs Up 1