• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tiller vs Steer Wheel

busse3775

I have been looking at purchasing my first boat and am stuck on whether I want a tiller or a steering console. I know you are suppose to have better handling of a tiller but wondering if there are any other pros or cons? I am use to driving and fishing out of a boat with a steering console but would like to hear your guys opinions.

Tiller style provides more interior room in the boat, but is a wetter ride on rough water days.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a 16' tiller for about 5 yrs, sold it and got a 17' console fish/ski boat with a full windshield so I could also take the kids tubing etc. and now after 7 yrs with the console boat, I am ready to go back to the tiller.  I will ad that I spent a lot of time in both and mostly for fishing.

The tiller is better for walleye fishing and it has more open space...which is nice.  Great if your just going to use it for fishing.  Tillers are great for back trolling. (with wave wackers on back).  Not as great if you plan on fishing big water unless you get a really big one.  Also, the visibility isn't as good with a tiller since the bow rides up higher and even more so if you have a passenger sitting up front.  You do get a little wet on windy days and colder, since you don't have a windshield to hide behind.

Console boats are great for staying warm and dry since you usually have a windshield to hide behind.  Console boats usually allow you to use a larger HP motor which is nice if you plan on pulling tubers or skiers.   My console boat takes up more storage space, is more difficult to pull and uses more gas in my truck when hauling than my tiller.  The motor on my console is much larger, so it uses more fuel.  The positive is that it is rated for more people/weight.

Those are my pros and cons.  It all comes down to what will you be using it for and what size lakes.

Nels

• Thumbs Up 4

I plan on using it only for fishing and never fish lakes such as Lake of the Woods during the summer months. The largest lake I would be fishing would be Devils Lake.

...oh and tillers are less costly to purchase, maintain, and as indicated above operate and tow.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nels and Hoey summed it up nicely, and hit all the hot buttons. I had a Crestliner ProAm, 20.5 foot, with a console 225 for the last dozen years.

I am going back to a tiller, (my 4th) with a Larson FX 1850, and 90 Merc. big tiller with power steering. I have way more storage space in this boat, plus the in floor rod storage, and all I need on the back for rigging is a Minn Kota Vantage. My experience is you can get wet in any boat, especially if you are quartering waves. I got wet in the big one lots of times. Much easier on and off the lift, or in an out of ramps and landings.

Give me the tiller every time if all you plan to do is fish.   

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

This is just me but for some reason I really like to be more forward in a boat when heading across big rough waves so I can see better, since a lot of times I will have the bow tilled up a bit. Sitting in the back in rough water with the bow jumping up and down seems a little hard to get a clear view of where your going. Again, that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like to fish, but sometimes I will just go for a cruise, the wheel is very nice for that.  Can't go wrong with either option as long as you get out on the water.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone has summed it up nicely.  If you have kids a windshield and top with side curtains is very nice.  If you get caught in weather you can put it up and everyone stays dry and doesn't have a bad experience.  Wife is usually happier when dry also.  Much smoother ride for the driver in a tiller.  In my opinion, if you are not going to have a full windshield, go with a tiller.  The little side consoles don't give you much protection and take up space.  I have fished out of all 3 in all kinds of water from Gull to LOW.  If I wasn't going to be on the big water side of LOW or have to pull kids on tubes, I would go with a tiller.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, I've been fishing tournaments and guiding for 24 years.  Three years ago if you asked me this question it would have been a very strong "Tiller" for an answer.  However with the development of trolling motors that tie into depth finders and GPS's and remote controls, the ability to stop lock, all that stuff.  I am leaning towards a console for my next boat.  After all the only reason I wanted a tiller was to back troll tight structure and keep clients lines out of the trolling motor.  A single side console doesn't take up that much room and is not a reason for me to not consider owning one.  Being able to sit behind a windshield in the middle of the boat is so much better than sitting in the very back of a 20ft boat going 40mph across the lake. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I ran tiller boats for over 15 years, 2 years ago I switched to a full console with walk through windshield. On a nice sunny warm day I only miss the tiller when trolling.  Casting spinners, cranks, jigging and such I dont care either way.  But I tell you what, running 30-40 mph across the lake late in the season when the air temp is dropping there is nothing like having a full console.  I now fish sometimes a full month later in the season because it is soooooo much more comfortable.

I will probably stick to console going forward now that I have experienced both.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll add a minor consideration, if you think you might try trolling Lake Superior or Michigan for salmon you'll very quickly see the utility of a console boat.

I fish Lake Superior and today we got caught in a quick heavy rain fall ,,,I quickly got the bimini and windshield up and we stayed relatively dry ,,,,Now my boat is a 18.5 tyee the only drawback is it doesnt fit in some shallow small lake access's but I can live with that 

• 1 month later...

I have been in a tiller now for 20 years with a wheel boat before all the tillers. Once I get to the spot I am going to fish I love the tiller but for the ride on the way to get to the spot I highly prefer the wheel boat. I am 55 now and run a 1825 ProGuide Tiller and love the boat except when its late season. I fish from ice out to ice in. My retirement boat will absolutely be a wheel boat ..... if not sooner. Those early October and November mornings are just getting a little bit too cold for this old duck!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've had both....if room is your desire...go with a tiller......if you prefer better visibility, go with a console.