• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was up to West Fox Lake this week end to try out the boat and go after some of those large crappies.  The cold weather and wind made things rough.  Action was very, very slow.  Maybe next weekend with the warmer weather coming in, crappies may begin to stage for spawning.  Water temperatures are still very cold.  I cannot tell you the exact water temp (electronics problems) but ice formed on the lake over night. Anyone else out this past weekend?

• Thumbs Up 1

Not out yet... Tried ice fishing West Fox last year and couldn't find the crappies so we hit the point and nailed some nice walleye though. Still want to try it again sometime have you had good luck open water before?

I have hit the Fox lakes many times for the storied crappies and have caught one here and there but they are a tough group to nail to say the least!!  I have now gone to other lakes in search of the big crappies as I have better luck.  I did get my 30" walleye out of there about 8 years ago though

I fish it quite often in the summer for crappies.  In late May or early June they are very easy to find and catch.  10" plus average and always a few 12" and the occasional 15", although they are rare. Troll back and forth right in front of the resort.  I see many people catch them right from the docks there. By mid summer, fish the outside deep weed line. Use light jigs on light line. Let them settle right down near the bottom and slowly lift and drop.  Work in and out from the weedline until you find them.  When you do keep working the area for more.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was at my cabin in Emily the last few days and gave east and west fox a try for about four hours on Wednesday.  With the cold temps and winds it was not fun and I was not successful, two small pike in 15 fow.  I will say that loading my boat by myself with the strong crosswind would have been entertaining to watch. 

I have much better luck in the winter usually than I do in the summer.  It appears I may be in the wrong area or the wrong time of day. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will be out this weekend to give it a try again.  This cold weather isn't going to help any.  I just have to get out and wet the line again.  I will be trying the lakes in the Emily/ Fifty Lakes area again.

• 2 months later...

I was out on Kego Lake this past weekend.  A lot of small 7" crappies on that lake. Caught a few nice bass and sunfish as well.  Action was steady.  Every time a spot slowed down, we'd move to another and we'd start catching fish again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have fished Kego a few times a year for the past 5 years or so and smallish crappies is usually the outcome.  I have ran into a few in the 9-10" range but for whatever reason I have not seen many in that range and most are in the 7" range.  do you ever try eagle lake in that area?

Mitchell had some decent crappies.  Just up the road from eagle ..  haven't fished it for a couple years but, might be worth a try

I believe I fished Mitchell one winter afternoon more than a few years back.  A lot of water in the area to fish...just need to spend time on the lakes exploring!!  Good Luck- Oz

Thanks for the info.  I haven't tried Mitchel yet.  So many lakes, so little time.  I'll maybe give Mitchel a try next time i'm up there.

My folks live in Emily so I've explored a ton of lakes in that area and north.  Mainly fish for bass but like to catch them some eater fish once in awhile.

I'll be up next week staying at Edgewild Resort on West Fox Lake.  Hope to get out and try several lakes in the area.  I've had good luck with crappies, bass and northerns. Certain lakes give up some nice sunfish.  I've had mixed results on walleyes though.  Anyone know of a good walleye lake in the area?

• 3 weeks later...

Was up for the week of Sept 10-17th.  First day spent on East and West Fox lake and we did well on bass, crappie and northerns.  Second day was very slow fishing.  Spent one day on Kego and did well on bass and norhterns.  Hit Mitchel twice and did well on sunfish and bass.  A few nice crappies in the mix as well.  Went to Little Boy for a day of walleye fishing, and it was very slow.  1 walleye and 1 smallmouth bass.  Great week of fishing on a few new lakes.  A very nice area to explore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am going up this weekend with a few buddies and the plan is to fish hard...will post back and let ya know if we find anything.